Another iPhone 5 release date rumour

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stu.h, Jul 28, 2012.

1. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Morning guys,

Was talking with a colleague at work regarding the iPhone 5 release date. He said he was talking to someone on eBay as he was looking to upgrade his iPhone 4 to the 4S. The person he was talking with claimed to work for Apple, and said that he couldn't *say* the date of the new iPhone release, but did say that it would be on the anniversary of Steve Jobs passing.

So, October 5th? Its a Friday and they always seem to release on this day in the week as well, and as the 4S was released on the 14th/28th October?

Sounds plausible to me... :apple:

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is plausible, but I would take his "inside" knowledge with a grain of salt

3. barredfreak macrumors 6502

4. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I think this is a good possibility.

Especially if the rumors are true that this was indeed his last project, it would only make sense to either unveal or release the phone then.

5. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

A friend of mine was told by a complete stranger a possible release date for a product from a company.

Are you serious? :eek:

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think that date is plausible but if I had to guess I would say a week or two after that. Releasing on Steve's anniversary is kind of corny. Celebrate the man's life, not his death. I never understood the obsession with keeping track of celebrity death days. Every year I see a thousand people with their John Lennon shirts- I bet most of them couldn't tell me any other significant days in Lennon's life but they all act like huge fans one day a year.

Sorry for the rant.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The day an "important" figure dies signifies the day the world lost that influential person. At least that is how I always looked at it. The day Lennon died marked the day that we would never again hear him sing a new song he had worked on. The day Steve Job died was the day that marked we would never see another one of his personal innovations (obviously there are things he worked on prior to his death, but those will "run out" eventually).

9. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

If it comes out that day it will be called the iPhone SJ. That way they could put the stamp on it saying Steve Jobs worked on the phone.

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

regardless of the fact, we have to remember one thing: if its released on october 5th, that ebay guy is a genius!!! am i right or am i right?

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

12. QuickFlame macrumors member

You're the eBay guy! :0

13. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

I actually always thought this. Mainly because this was supposed to be "his" phone, it would keep his memory alive for one more run on the iPhone, and it will add that extra hype. I doubt he works for apple, but it's a great assumption.

14. stu.h thread starter macrumors 65816

stu.h

Hell no. Not serious in the slightest. Just thought I'd put it out there.

I too doubt he works for Apple, but certainly food for thought.

I also wonder one of 2 things, with Tim Cook saying they are "doubling down" on leaks;

a) Something has been leaked that was legit, and he was like "Oh crap!"

b) They have got everyone following the red herring with the "taller iPhone" and they will release something later this year that no-one expected.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've said it before, but heck, this thread has been beaten to death before, so I'll say it again...What a horrible idea: "Hey guys, we're super depressed today, so what better way to get excited about a new product and a new IOS than to think about SJ dying!"