Another KBR Rape Case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Apr 5, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080421/houppert

Warning: it gets a little graphic after that.

And in a similar, though different vein:

Despite Investigations, Blackwater to Keep Working in Iraq

Yes, I realize they're different companies, but I thought it was indicative of a larger issue and didn't think another thread was necessary, but did want to start this topic anew.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Another "Who could have known?" moment.
    This piece bears republishing:
    Indeed, who could have known that if you launch an illegal war, destroy a country, remove all oversight, remove all penalties for wrongdoing, stuff the ranks with cronies and keep your eyes tight shut, stuff will continue to happen?

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Well, you changed your post, but if I can, I still want to respond to this part which was dead on:
    As has the MSM and most of our citizens. Same with the Yoo memo about torture. Or the Mukasey-FISA thing. As was said in another thread, we don't want to think about this kind of thing anymore. We're just waiting for it to be over when Bush is gone. But it's still happening right now, and who's to say it will stop? One of the many reasons for the frustration lately, as there's so much out there, and we just don't seem to want to talk about it, let alone think about it.

At least no one is defending it this time (I hope).

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

*wonders how long it will be before the women are blamed*

5. Queso macrumors G4

****ing disgusting.

Sorry, but that's the only way I can think of to convey the feeling of utter revulsion incidents of this type provoke.

The fact it happens once is bad enough. That it is endemic brings nothing but shame on the USA and western culture at large.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Depressing as it is, there is absolutely no evidence to indicate that this kind of thing is limited to "Western" "culture". There are inadequate, vicious men all over the globe, in every culture. The shame is not that it happens, but in the way it is dealt with when it does.

7. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I think he meant that because we are supposed to be better than that, especially considering how many here will call other countries where this is endemic backwards, it's a shame we are letting them get away with it. And we are letting them get away with it. Those responsible are not only beyond reproach, but seem to be rewarded with new contracts. And it just keeps happening. Haven't even heard about this one in the MSM.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As I said, it would be foolish in the extreme, and indeed verging on racist, to claim that "we", as people, are "better than that". It's not the absence of crime which defines the degree of civilisation, it's how you deal with it when it inevitably happens.

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I meant we're supposed to be better than what we currently are. And that there are those among us who decry those other cultures as uncivilized while doing the same types of things or at least allowing/defending what we are doing here. I'm reminded of the last thread about this when a certain conservative member said she shouldn't have been there in the first place because people in the ME are like that. Ignoring that it was our contractors doing it. When it was pointed out that it was our people, after further obfuscation, well we all remember how it went down hill from there. While we'd like to think we're so much better than "they" are (and not just the extremists), things like this prove we aren't always the beacon of democracy we claim to be. I'm not knocking them, I'm pointing out our oblivious hypocrisy.

Perhaps it could have been better worded, I hope you now get what I meant.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I know what you mean, but it bears repeating: that these things will happen is unfortunately a given. People are like that, whatever so-called civilisation they are spawned by. What matters is that there should be systems and responsible individuals in place to curb, punish and root out such people, and there should be officers and supervisors able and willing to act to change the culture which finds such behaviour even remotely acceptable.

These are the elements which are so shamefully missing here.

11. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, there should be. Especially when you're "bringing Democracy" to another country. But no, there isn't for some reason. And the worse part is that so many of us are almost ok with it. True, most of us don't know what to do. We can contact our local representatives, try to get the word out, but as long as there's a system setup to protect them and allow them to do as they wish, which they apparently are, all we have left to do is be mad and hope whoever we vote for can help to stop it from continuing.

I'm at a loss as for what else to do. No wonder people don't pay attention to politics. It can be so hopelessly frustrating. At least no one is defending it this time.