Another life saved

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MuddyPaws1, May 25, 2013.

1. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

With a gun.

LINK

She managed to pull her weapon and save herself.

How come the police didn't protect her?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

So let me understand...you will post all news stories about folks "saved" by carrying a hand gun.

I assume, in the name of fairness and balance, you will also post all news stories about folks shot accidentally by legally owned handguns...correct?

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Of course, he's obviously non-biased.

Then again, I don't know many people who are against normal handguns....

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I am not being sarcastic...but before I can respond, I need to know what you mean by "normal handguns".:confused:

5. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why didn't you post this same comment, but in reverse, in the thread about the security officer?

The sharks on here circle every time something bad happens with a gun.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Go figure...;)

7. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Typical comment from you. Let's not post anything good, only the bad stuff that furthers your agenda.

----------

OMG!!!!

Can't see them all but 16 people, including 14 women ranging in age from 24 to 62 years old took their CPL class.

No one got shot. No way, can't be.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Since I have NEVER posted an opinion regarding gun ownership, gun laws, gun use, or gun regulation....what is my agenda?:confused:

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Considering the number of guns in the hands of people, it shouldn't be difficult to find stories like this where a gun is used in self-defense.

It does happen. It is not, however, a compelling defense for firearms.

You have to weigh positives and negatives in order to assess the issue.

You would need to produce 30 of these stories every day just to match the number of people murdered by firearms.

10. SMDBill macrumors 6502

It's becoming a more and more violent world we live in. How someone chooses to defend themselves and their family is important in each and every household. Some hope for the best, some move to the country and hope for the best, some choose non lethal weapons such as spray mace or pepper guns, and others choose weapons with lethal potential such as handguns, rifles and shotguns. I have no problem with any of them in responsible hands and used in very limited situations.

Being a veteran, trained in a variety of weapons, my family is protected by our pets (dogs), mace and handguns. We're responsible owners and would use force only if absolutely necessary, but rest assured, force would absolutely be used when necessary and without hesitation against a target identified as having hostile, possibly deadly intent within MY home.

I don't really care what someone's views are on my ownership of a weapon and my management, training and use of it. Too many calls to 911 only to result in a cop showing up to chalk outline the body. I refuse to rely on others for immediate-need safety where seconds are all that are available to take action, run or completely avoid a situation. In those in-your-face times where you are all you have to count on and no time exists to even alert others, only we can protect ourselves. How we each choose to do so, I don't really care. I only care about, and answer to, my own family because that is the only legal time I am permitted to use a gun anyway. I just hope others take enough care to understand potential threats and be prepared, as best they can, for an event in the unfortunate time they may face an adversary with no choice but try to fight back.

My problem is with the people who allow them to get into the wrong hands, who use them illegally, who take action against an unidentified target, who shoot or harm innocent people, who would use a lethal weapon in a non life-threatening situation, who think a weapon somehow makes them some type of superhero, who take steps to illegally obtain a weapon, who carry weapons in public without being licensed or even trained, who buy a weapon without a clue how to handle and care for it and others, and on and on and on. Owning a weapon brings a huge level of responsibility and accountability, something far too many don't give much thought to.

Responsible people do not harm others intentionally except in defense of life. The rest should never have access to a gun.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Errr... like a pistol? I don't see how it's a difficult thing. I've heard somebody refer to an oozi as a handgun, and I just... what?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Where in the world do you live that you feel this 3 pronged defense is necessary? :confused:

All I've seen in my short lifetime is Americans becoming more and more fearful with every year and thus turn to irrational choices that result in a feedback loop of more violence.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yeah, tha "oozi" thing must have handed you a laugh...someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.;)

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What an amazingly racist readership this website attracts.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have friends who are "gun experts" who consider uzi's handguns as well. Then I show them this article and they still think its a normal hand gun:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27399337/ns/us_news-life/t/boy-accidentally-kills-self-gun-show/#.UaDQa5U4Q_U

Basically the 8 year old boy started firing and because of the kickback lost control and shot himself in the head. Irresponsible gun ownership all around.

To the OP, its not that people are saying you can't have guns (mostly), its that automatic weapons are completely unnecessary, stronger background checks ARE necessary, and gun owners need educated. I don't consider a majority of my friends responsible gun owners and I live in PA where everyone has guns.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Right? What vile comments :mad:

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's run by noted nutcase Glenn Beck. Even FOX News fired him.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

With that winky, not sure if you're being sarcastic...

Everyone is an expert!

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This explains a lot.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

On PRSI they are...or think they are.:)

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Apparently non-gunowners need educated..or at least help with the english language.

----------

Why? because they assume it was a black guy? how is that racist?

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

So because I am for a ban on assault weapons, stronger background checks and education you assume I'm not a gun owner?

The 22 guns I own that are locked in a safe at my parents house suggest otherwise....

(The reason for the excess is because my dad would buy me a new one every Christmas for a long time, I only keep one in my apartment for defense and its stored safely.)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Need educated" is perfectly acceptable and correct in Scotland. Efficient wording, and to the point.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I thought the same thing but I didn't reply because I figured maybe there was some grammar rule out there that I didn't know about.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You're going to defend these (and I just cited a few of them) comments?