another old drive has no missing pin to accommodate my drive housing's blocked hole.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by supermarky, Feb 10, 2012.

1. supermarky macrumors newbie

what must I be looking for exactly in the way of an enclosure for the drive that will not have a blocked hole in the female data plug, so I can plug it in?

sigh,,,

thanks again

2. California macrumors 68040

California

I know what you are asking but have never heard of this problem before.

The way you are asking it is also confusing.

What size hd.

What type hd

What brand enclosure

We are not mind readers here. PHotos would also help.

3. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Sound stupid, but have you tried orientating the drive differently? Some caddys(for some stupid reason) like drives upside-down...

4. supermarky thread starter macrumors newbie

that won't work there needs to be one missing pin, otherwise female plug (again the one with the 2 rows or 28 or so pins - hard to count those things being farsighted) with one hold blocked in the middle can't connect.

I have some other enclosures lying around somewhere maybe... one will have an unblocked hole...

5. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

^

6. California macrumors 68040

California

Well, here is a secret.

I once somehow missed a whole set of Hard drive pins on an ATA hard drive going into a powerbook or ibook or something.

Worked fine.

Pull out the pin or jam it.

7. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you sure there is not a header attached to the drive?

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

OP, it must be pre 1994 HDD, I guess. You need a proper enclosure, because this HDD may never work again if you'd remove pin 20. This pin was used to provide small voltage to the drive (VCC) which may be necessary for this drive to work properly.
    See this link for better explanation of IDE pinouts: http://www.cromwell-intl.com/technical/ata-ide-sata-usb-cable-pinouts.html