Another one dragged off a plane....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoxerGT2.5, Sep 28, 2017.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/south...removes-woman-dragged-plane-pet-allergy-dogs/

Clearly this woman didn't cooperate and should be charged, but dear god we need to stop with this BS of having an "emotional support dog". I have 2 friends who have used such a claim to force their landlords in Chicago to allow them to have a dog when the rental contract strictly states no pets. I was on a flight and there were 4 dogs over 65lbs on the flight, one of them was a friggin pitbull.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they are not dangerous if you pet them right.....
    [​IMG]

and neither is the dog..................

3. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Do they really let you on planes???

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I prefer "fun sized"

I get that "Service" dog is getting a bit out of hand, but I also get why some resort to this.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

On my flight home from D.C., American Airlines was nice enough to ask if anyone had allergies to dogs before they allowed a service dog in the cabin. No proof of an allergy was required. They simply asked and several passengers raised their hand and stated they were allergic to dog hair.
    The passenger with the dog was informed the dog had to travel in the baggage area in it's kennel (forward portion is pressurized and climate controlled), or take another flight.
    No drama. No one was dragged off.

7. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I get the service dogs for disabilities, but "emotional support". GTFO of here with that.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I can understand not wanting to sit next to a dog, but to say that one person with an allergy could prohibit an entire flight from having animals on board is ridiculous.

I know how bad allergies can be, but it makes no difference if it is a dog on board or a person who has dog dander on their clothes on board. Can allergy sufferers require the airline to disinfect everyone's clothes too?

A few rows of separation should be enough for even the most severe allergy sufferers.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The difference is that probably the service dog was a last minute addition. In that case, they just asked.
    This lady had all the time and knowledge. Plus, if the dog was already there I don’t think that removing it would’ve made much of a difference if she’s really that allergic.

10. 0007776 Suspended

I'm pretty sure with the ADA, they can't legally do that and refuse to allow a service dog. They are lucky that passenger didn't sue.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It wasn't an issue for the owner of the dog. They were a last minute addition to the flight and there really was no room for the dog to begin with. The owner had a travel kennel, so I'm not sure what kind of service dog it was as I've never seen one travel with a kennel.
    It could have just been their pet, but that info wasn't really relayed to us.
    Like I said, the whole thing was very polite and respectful.

12. ItnStln Suspended

That's the way it should be
    I'm flying Southwest to Baltimore in a few weeks and hope my flight is entertaining

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Uhh, no. 4 words:

Air Carrier Access Act.

I'll be damned because you think it is BS that my legally blind wife can not take her guide dog onboard an aircraft, when there is codified law stating that all businesses and companies must be ADA compliant, while the ACAA also falls under jurisdiction of the ACA.

We've had incidents similar to this where a woman provided absolutely NO documentation stating that she had an allergy to animals (something which they can state in the conditions section of a website when purchasing their ticket, let alone notifying personnel BEFORE boarding the flight), in which they were displaced, not us, because we had such documentation.

Let's cut the BS where it belongs; on the people being irresponsible to not support their claim with valid documentation as well.

BL.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Try walking into a Veterans Hospital.

You wanna see dogs that's the place to do it.

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Just to clarify the scale, this is the same dog with woman:

[​IMG]

16. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Pretty sure I SPECIFICALLY said "emotional support animal", I didn't say anything about guide dogs for the blind.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It wasn’t just an ESA which may or may not have been bogus, there was also someone on board who did everything right and paid the fee to have their dog in the cabin with them (in a small carrier that fits under the seat).

If she has a deadly allergy to dogs, then I have two questions:

1. The second she realized she was in a confined space with two dogs, why the hell didn’t she run off the plane?

2. I have a dog and he sheds a lot. I’d never take him on a plane, but there’s no doubt that there’s still traces and fur and dander on my clothes when I’m on a plane, especially since I give him a big hug and lots of attention before I leave for a trip. So what if she’s sitting next to me on a plane? If her allergy is that bad, I’m sure being that close to me could be dangerous. Is she going to demand that dog owners all sit in the back and she sits in the front?

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Doesn't matter. If it is a working service animal, the law applies for ALL. If they are documented for having that special need, then the law applies for ALL. It is up to the airline to scrutinize that documentation, and if it passes muster by law, then the airline has to accommodate. No exceptions to that.

And Emotional Support Animals, with proper documentation, are service animals. So any specificity regarding what you are looking for flies out the door when it comes to the law.

BL.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

If I understand correctly a person with an allergy to pets must always have documentation on their person if they travel or use any public accommodation?

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Ignoring the fact there is a lot of abuse to the ESA system( really irrelevant fact in this case given there was another dog properly paid for and in carrier that fits under the seat), I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that this person had no such allergy and just had an objection to having an animal in the cabin and lied about it. It's also absurd that this passenger expected Southwest to bump them off the flight vs herself.

Southwest did nothing wrong here. People just need to act like freaking adults when they travel instead of spoiled brats. But United's handling of the Dr.Dao incident( even if I still fault Dr.Dao more than United) has created a horrible environment and everyone is looking for their pay day now.

21. SusanK macrumors 68000

ADA requires a reasonable accommodation. American Airlines approach on your flight seems reasonable. Dragging a passenger from a flight because they have no documentation of an allergy does not seem reasonable. Who expects to board a plane and travel with animals in a passenger compartment?

22. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I don't think emotional support animals are officially considered service animals, at least regarding the ADA.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Mike

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Airlines will allow small dogs and cats that can fit in a carrier that can fit under the seat( for a fee of course) in the cabin.

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I knew someone who had one at an apt complex. I thought he didn’t have any friends.

He had a woman companion and child. Maybe they weren’t enough support?

(I’m laughing inside trust me lol)

I think this person claimed he needed support because normally pets were not allowed.

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Very interesting. Good info. Thanks @Tinmania.