Another one of the "MY FRIEND TOLD ME" stories

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bsblvnv, Mar 31, 2010.

1. bsblvnv macrumors regular

Hey guys just thought I might let you know. I have a friend who works for UPS and he just called me to let me know that they just unloaded a plane from China. He said there were approximately 8,000 individual boxes (on palates of course.) From Apple, now I am not saying that these are all iPads but...I bet 98% of them are. The crazy thing was he said that there was nothing addressed to the Apple Stores here in town. Would they be getting their's by some other shipping method?

Also since my friend works at the distribution point, I was thinking about asking or bribing him to let me get mine early. Does anyone know if we could pull this off? I definitely don't want him to get fired but if I could be playing on my iPad tonight, I'd definitely hook him up. So if any of you guys work at UPS and you know any way to get away with it let me know? And what do you guys think about no boxes for the Apple Store? Maybe they already have them? Maybe on another plane? Or will they come on a truck from Cali? Just wondering.

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I am sure there are all tracked and logged and would be a big risk of him getting fired.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

Considering this is only Wed. They could be going anywhere in the US. Granted 8k iPads would probably be used up pretty quickly in Cali alone so who knows.

As for him getting fired, I would guess just asking him is a start. If he is a close friend he will probably just tell you if he knows if it's possible or not. My guess is some people will have an "inside" connection and possibly get their iPad a day or so early. I recall reading stories of the 3G and the 3GS ending up in people hands a day or two before the "official" launch day. I expect to see some video's on Youtube or otherwise by Friday.

4. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree... just wait two more days, you can do it!

5. ipadDev macrumors member

Knowing a fair amount about how the computer systems at FedEx(im sure ups is similar) work I can say you would have to be really smart and the only real way to do it would be to remove it from its box and place a weight inside it that is the same as the ipad and power adapter so you don't tip anyone off its missing.

:D

Dangerous but its possible, he just has to be a bit cunning.

It's not worth it.

6. bsblvnv thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you misunderstood or I mistyped but the 8K iPads were for Las Vegas residents. He said the ones he saw all had Vegas zips. We have 2 million people here so I don't really think 8K is suprising.

By the way check this out and tell me that is not a camera!

7. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Take your iPad out, let him keep the box, and he can scan it on saturday, I always thought about doing this if I was an Apple Store manager or something.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

I did misunderstand your 8k concern. Noted :)

As for the camera, yes it is 100% a camera, it just so happens it on a MBP screen as that is a fake iPad and a fake video. :D

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The iphone 3GS deliveries all made it to the (memphis?) UPS hub 3 days early last year and... sat for 3 days until launch day. The UPS guys delivered a handful of them to my office on the launch morning. So don't expect any early deliveries. Apple and UPS know what they are doing.

10. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Bribe your friend & his manager with lunch. Then do a review for us with lots of pictures.

11. bsblvnv thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like a plan I texted him to meet up after he gets off work, I'm going to see what we can do then. If it does work you can forget pictures. I will put a 30 minute video on youtube.

12. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Sure it is.

I don't see any liability or issue to the OP if his friend does this. The friend might be up the river, but no the OP.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You really sure you want to get your friend fired?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats a MBP screen, and thank god, if the iPad was THAT precise in its finger input, damn there'd be millions of returns.

15. bsblvnv thread starter macrumors regular

No I definitely do not. And if he does not know exactly how to do it without getting in trouble then it won't happen. But if he can... well I will definitely take advantage.

16. citi macrumors 65816

citi

30 minute video on youtube? Now you ARE going to get him fired. Play with it by yourself, alone...and tell noone.

Unless you hate your friend.

Come to think of it, you are not really a friend if you put your friend in seriously compromising positions. You want him to reach into a, potentially, sealed package, STEAL your iPad (because it's not offically yours until you sign for it, and it's definitely not his) and then take it to you?

So if he gets caught and, fired, on the spot, what is your resposibility to your "friend"? Sorry dude, my bad?

hmmm...that's loyalty...on his part.

17. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Not if he bribe's his friends manager.

18. bsblvnv thread starter macrumors regular

I am sure that I am not the only one on here who knows someone working for UPS and I am sure I am not the only one who wants their iPad 3 weeks ago, but like I said I am not going to do anything to get him in trouble. If it is something that he thinks he can pull off then he will just get a little bonus before payday.

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

but your so close, its almost here. its just safer to wait and not have to worry about getting in trouble.

20. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

All you would have to do is plug it into your computer and have it log onto iTunes. Alarms would go off at Apple!

21. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

You would risk your friend getting fired and put him in an awkward situation, at the very least, just because you can't wait a few days?

22. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Are you serious?

Fired? He would probably go to jail, .These threads are officially stupid now, does'nt anyone have patientce to wait 3 frickin days.

23. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I still say just wait and don't put a friends job at risk. This is a tough enconomy to be getting another job.

24. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Nevermind.

25. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I'd sell a friend out to get my iPad early. No question about it.