Another Police shooting in California

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Apr 17, 2018.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

If you drive a car in the direction of the police what would some like them to do, get ran over and die? Of corse they fired at someone trying to kill them with a 3000 pound speeding bullet (car).

Let me take a stab at possible responses....
    • They could have shot his tires
    • They could have shot him in the toe
    • They could have just ran away from the car
    • Any others I missed?
    I'll wait for the facts to come out before decrying the police. I am pretty sure most Walmarts have cameras in the parking lot. many police have cameras in their patrol cars and many departments have body cameras..

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yes, why don’t we wait for the facts before clearly siding with a narrative the article itself shows should be viewed critically.....

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Except that the 3000 pound bullet was backing away from the cops and not headed towards them. Not sure how many of these it’s going to take before people stop making excuses for these cops. Couple of hundred? Couple of thousand?

Even though they won’t say it out loud everyone knows that if this car were full of white kids, they would have calmly tried to talk them out of the car and dove out of the way instead of shooting, this is just sickening already.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

Happen to have a video that shows this accusation to be true?

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Ahh, now I see it.. Yes that does look bad.. Hard to tell what's really going on as it's blurry and the lady is blocking the view. I wonder if that Walmart has better video or maybe from the police car or officer body camera.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Can't really see what's happened from the video, shots start almost immediately which implies something happened before this. If the collision they are talking about was from reversing it didn't seem like from the video that he was going very fast.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Kinda hard to tell from that video. Probably have to wait for more info on this one.

12. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Stop breaking the law?

Im editing my post so to clarify that your chances of avoiding police contact increase when you aren't wanted for questioning of car theft, etc.

I am in no way justifying the shooting.

13. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Pulled a direct quote from your article you linked:
    ---
    “They saw a car full of black people sitting in front of a Walmart, and they decided that was suspicious,” said Merritt. “They just began pouring bullets … It’s irresponsible. It’s dangerous. It’s mind-boggling, the use of force.”
    ---
    Looks like more anti-white and anti-police propaganda to me.
    In all reality though, Police have a damn difficult job... and if they see a car speeding towards them, then by God it's either them or the accused. These articles falsely place the blame on stuff like "constitutional racism" and "racism", which has been debunked several times.
    ---
    In all reality though, that man was a husband, a father, a son. Now his parents, wife, and children will feel the grief, it is a lose-lose situation and very upsetting that another life was taken from us today.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2018 ---
    Thanks, this made me laugh.
    You can pump an average human with a chest full of lead... and if they're determined enough, they can still keep going.
    Simply not true at all.

14. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Extremely true and an easily researchable fact if you're of a mind to educate yourself on the matter.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seems pretty unjustified. In a parking lot refuge from a car can be easily had by going into the gaps between cars. This doesn't look like the police were any immediate mortal danger to me. To me, this kind of senseless police killing should be called the 'deep state'. You can see it, people get killed, and it's not some cockamamie right-wing fiction about the intelligence agencies.

16. A.Goldberg, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Very hard to see in the video. I can’t really tell but it seems like there are 2 police cars angled, surrounding the suspects vehicle-
    one in front, one in back. In the slow motion video I think the first bang is the suspect reversing into the back cop car. There is another cop in the door of the front cop car, who would have been at risk had the car accelerated forward. It’s too hard to see what’s going on though.

I’ll wait for the facts to come out.

Sigh... what is a Stylinexpat thread without randomly involving Israel? Do you really think this bait and switch tactic works (or is it attempted Pavlovian conditioning)? Clearly this is what you really wanted to talk about.

When you start blaming ISREAL for AMERICA’S police brutality... I don’t even know what to say, but it brings the “blame the Jews” mantra to another level.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don’t think you understand qualified immunity.

1. How did this qualified immunity work for Powell and Koon?

2. Source a few examples of how qualified immunity as been misapplied in a lethal force case.

18. stylinexpat, Apr 18, 2018

stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Sigh... The two News stories happened to pop up at the same time which was why I posted both of them. Not only did this make news in America but Israel as well. This is not what I really wanted to talk about but “IF” Barstow Police had training there then US cities really need look into where US Police get their training.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-ci...ning-in-israel-after-pro-palestinian-protest/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ha...-bar-police-from-training-in-israel-1.6011720

California is on the list..

https://blog.amnestyusa.org/middle-...-with-a-chronic-human-rights-violator-israel/

Apparently there are links..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...thods-of-brutality-and-repression/5473282/amp

19. A.Goldberg, Apr 18, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

To me this just seems like a convolution BLM/anti-police brutality, a fairly popular movement at the moment, with the BDS movement which has largely fizzled out compared to several years ago. It’s a clever play.

http://www.wral.com/durham-petition-calls-for-end-of-israeli-police-exchanges/17490942/

I’d also keep in mind the US and Israel in anti-terrorism training is recognized as having a profound impact on the successful management of the Boston Marathon Bombing’s casualties. A number of the Massachusetts police chiefs have gone to Israel for training since the bombing, including Boston’s chief and some of the university’s chiefs. I don’t see the same police violence reported as we see in other parts of the country.

If you want to provide me with statistics that demonstrate a correlation between high rates of police brutality after Israeli-lead trainings, I’d love to see it.

Perhaps instead or in addiction Durham should boycott the federal government who provide police the bulk of training and hands down military surplus (ie Hummers, Armored Personell Carriers, etc) and the state government who funds SWAT teams and other equipment. They should also bar veterans from serving in the police force, after all a sizable percentage of cops are ex-military.

At least they realize that violent behavior ie riots and terrorism leads to increased militarization of police. So I commend them on their peaceful protest and choosing to take a legal pathway.

20. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I have a pretty good understanding of it, as for Powell and Koon their victim got lucky, unlike hundreds of others who do not get lucky. They got what they deserved for their crimes.
    2. Enjoy the reads.

https://injusticetoday.com/deceptively-tragic-qualified-immunity-in-police-suits-ce838f392079
    Here's a paper by one of my favourite legal scholars on qualified immunity and whether it is unlawful, cases cited in the paper.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/george...ine-the-court-should-jettison/2/#54287b7e9e9c
    http://digitalrepository.unm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2303&context=nmlr

As you will see, over and over again, that the SCOTUS has bent over backwards in many cases to defend bad cops actions, after lower courts have found against them. As it is cop rarely, if ever pay out for their crimes. It is municipalities that pay, a side effect of their immunity. Add in other "rights" like Garrity and they are shielded even from the people investigaing them. Immunity needs to go away. As do the municipal payouts. All payouts in civil cases that actually succeed need to come from the perpetrators and/or their pension funds.

21. Gutwrench, Apr 18, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

You don’t. Qualified immunity does not shield an officer from criminal conduct. An officer can lose their qualified immunity from civil damages when their conduct clearly violates statutory or constitutional rights.

I think you have a decent case of malpractice against your law school.

22. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I do not have statistics but I would bet you if someone were offer statistics in America that it would be considered anti-Semitic and would be immediately smeared for even suggesting such a thing as you did in the first reply.

Here are two examples just to pick a couple more. There are many though. Remember the racial profiling case of the black men at starbucks..? Philadelphia Police got training in Israel.

http://philadelphia.adl.org/local-law-enforcement-chiefs-return-from-elite-adl-training-in-israel/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...bucks-black-men-feared-for-lives-philadelphia

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ebony.com/news-views/the-fergusonpalestine-connection-403/?amp

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’d demand independent verification, would not automatically trust testimony from the police whose version may be accurate, or maybe another excuse to justify excessive violence killing an unarmed black man. I’m not implying the latter, but am explaining that police have a questionable record, and previous cases have shown police have told lies and have tampered with evidence to cover the truth.

24. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

And.... should the doodoo hit the fan.... they get big fundraising bucks from rabid conservatives. They won’t even let criminals be punished.... so odd.