another reason to avoid Texas .Texas school fooled by 7-year-old's fake note

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 7, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well at least we have to have something funny from Texas.

http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:456416e5f40d4627a04d2f4ee40926e9

HOUSTON (AP) — A 7-year-old Houston girl managed to get out of an after-school program with a fake excuse note that she wrote herself, in large print with misspellings.

The girl's father, Charlie Dahu (DAY'-hoo), told KTRK-TV (http://abc13.co/1YauiwA ) that his daughter was wrong to write the note, but that it's obvious it was written by a child.

The note says, "I want Rosabella to go too dus 131 today."

With the note, Rosabella was able to take a bus home, rather than participating in an after-school program. But the girl couldn't get into her house. She spent part of the afternoon outside, until asking a neighbor to let her use the bathroom.

The neighbor kept Rosabella until her father was located.

The Sheldon Independent School District says the incident is under investigation.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From what I see in daily papers and around the Internet, that sort of problem is in no way limited to Texas. I'd bet real money that there are many parents whose abilities at writing an excuse-note are no better than a reasonably-bright youngun. Try major metro areas, nationwide.

3. Robisan macrumors 6502

The school official evidently wasn't wearing Rick Perry smart glasses.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    DEER SKOO,

MAH BOAH AIN'T TAYK NO BOOK LARNIN' TUHDAE FUR RAYZONS UV PAWLITCKS! HE GIT TA GO HAWM!

SENSERALLY
    MUH MAWM

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

70s Michigan: I wrote my own excuse notes when I skipped school. The school eventually xeroxed every note and sent them to my parents. These days, I doubt public schools would even give a damn.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We call the parent on record to verify early dismissals.

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

do we need another reason more texas crazy

A class that played jump rope with cat intestines will not be punished as it was a part of the curriculum

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Red states have the worst education systems, they routinely cut funding (particularly in Texas) for education and teachers, they also rewrite history to fit their belief system, which consists of ignoring atrocities.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

There is very little correlation between funding and education. The most important aspects are family, environment, and teachers. Teachers have little incentive to improve due to tenure and unions (i.e. lack of competition).

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's not entirely true. It's more nuanced than that. There is correlation between funding and good outcomes in education, but with diminishing returns after a certain point. The sweet spot seems to be around $10k-$15k per pupil today. That said, a student at a school that spends $20k per pupil would not have an outcome twice as good as a student at a school that spends $10k. However, a student at a school that spends $10k would have significantly better outcomes than a student at a school that spends only $5k per pupil.

A more direct correlation to outcome in education is parents. Communities with well-educated parents tend to also produce well-educated students with good outcomes. Nothing will help your kids more in getting ahead than you getting a good education before having a kid.

As for teacher incentives, tenure and unions are the wrong thing to blame. The issue is two fold: teachers aren't paid enough, and parents are uncooperative. As to the first, there is no incentive for the smartest college graduates to become teachers. I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree, I had many options. I probably could have been a pretty good STEM teacher, and I might have even enjoyed it. But the pay was wayyy too low, even if you figure in the tenure and union benefits. Thus, the teachers we end up with are the altruistic ones that weigh the desire the teach kids higher than any other factor, and the ones that couldn't get into a better paying field. Not exactly a great mix.

As to the second, without much data to support this, I feel there has been a shift where parents see teachers as adversaries, rather than partners. This is anemic to the teaching process.

11. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

In the top 10 districts in the country, TX has two of them.

https://k12.niche.com/rankings/public-school-districts/best-overall/

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I have to disagree with you on teacher salaries being low when they are prorated for nine months of teaching and include all the benefits they get. Starting teachers are paid on the low side but it quickly goes up. Besides, I look at a person I know who graduated this year in Biochemistry with distinction from one of the better universities and is only going to make mid to upper thirties at the job they found. Salaries have collapsed and you are lucky to find a career job in the private sector when you get out of college.

I can't really complain about the wages a union fights for but I can and do complain that schools can't get rid of non performing teachers due to the union / tenure.

Teacher Salaries.

13. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I don't see how a teacher believing a 7 year old's fake note is a reason to avoid the entire state of Texas. :rolleyes:

14. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

You missed using cat gut ad a jump rope

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

You've obviously never lived in Texas. Then you'd know why to avoid the place like the plague.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think there are several issues in that. The latter issue you raise is teacher performance. I do not dispute that there should be a better system for figuring out who is not an effective teacher, and to be able to train that person better and ultimately remove them if there is no improvement. We can have a whole debate about whether standardized testing or graduation rates are a good measure of teacher performance, but that is not really the topic here.

The other issue is teacher salary. I think it should be higher. Indeed, I think it should be one of the highest government salaries because it is so important. I want our nations kids to be educated by the best of the best, and i want those teachers to have no distractions. Every good teacher I know is forced to be a private tutor on the side during the year and teach at a private school or camp in the summer to make the wage comfortable. Those are distractions that make the teacher tired and thus worse at the main role. While it's true that some inner-city teachers are paid close to six-figures, you have to remember that cost of living in a city is very very high too, and the desirability of teaching in an inner city is very very low. Overall though, going with the teacher career path is usually one of the lower paid options anyone has. Those benefits don't really help pay student loans, ya know?

I can't speak to your biochemistry friend, but from what I see and read, that is unique. It seems anyone with a STEM degree and any ability to analyze data or code, however minimal, is able to find a job today. At least that is so in the northeast here. I know several dozen examples. Maybe not in the exact industry they want, maybe not in the exact state or city they want, but there are more open jobs in the STEP fields today than candidates. With all the talk of battery technology, for example, biochem is pretty in demand. That said, nobody takes you seriously unless you have at least a masters in the biochem area.

I think this is similar to the SEC vs. wall street discussion. I think the reason wall street banks get away with so much crime is because they hire the best of the best lawyers, and pay them well. Meanwhile, the government usually manages to hire those that either feel a civic duty calling, or those that can't get anything better. The investigations and fights end up being like the the practice squad for no-name college basketball team vs. the 1996 Chicago Bulls. Is anyone surprised that the government always loses when they don't invest in the best talent for their side?

The same applies to teachers. Look all the other countries with education systems ranked higher than ours, and there are many. They all share one quality - teachers there are highly respected, sought-after, competitive positions. They are paid accordingly. Here, teachers not respected, the positions are not considered desirable, and thus there is no competition for those positions. Is anyone surprised when we don't invest in the best talent to teach our youth?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All the teachers i know work just as hard as those in other fields. They just do it over fewer months.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think you are basing your STEM salary / job availability expectations on when you graduated. It's not the same now and most technical degree graduates can expect to be unemployed (or working at a low paying job not related to their degree) when they graduate. The person with the biochemistry degree got a job in New England and did have to relocate.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2016 ---
    I would say that the teachers work as hard as others during the months that they are teaching.

19. Robisan macrumors 6502

Ensuring the next generation of Texas sociopaths. #HeritageNotHate

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If they'd questioned the legitimacy of the note, the school admins would have been pilloried for singling out a parent with dyslexia.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I graduated like 1 or 1.5 years before the recent recession - it wasn't exactly good for me. It might vary from field to field and from skillset to skillset. I do also have a friend with a biochem bachelors who had a tough time. In that field though, you are expected to have done some formal research at least towards a masters, if not a Ph.D. At the same time, I know at least a dozen EEs, CEs, and CSs bachelors graduating this year with no issues finding work.

Getting back to the point of teachers though, difficulty of finding a job varies, but it is almost always more lucrative to get a job in industry with a STEM degree than to become a teacher. Do you really want the math and science teachers of America to be those that couldn't get a job anywhere else? Is that an appropriate way to select teachers?

22. AlliFlowers, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Teacher salaries vary wildly from district to district. Just because salaries are prorated doesn't make them bad. Think in terms of a $50000/year salary with 6 weeks of vacation. Because that's what you're looking at after a 20 year career. And no Christmas bonus. No bonus. Ever.

We just got our first raise in nine years. Four percent. Our insurance costs have risen every year, and with news of a raise, insurance costs went up six percent.

Parents don't raise their children anymore. They expect teachers to do that job. But we don't have them 24/7, and parents have already done the damage. If I had a nickel for every parent who threw up his hands and asked me what he should do, I'd be wealthy enough to retire.

/rant

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

You’re agreeing with Plutonius’ initial comment, that “The most important aspects are family, environment, and teachers.”

24. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Named after Sheldon Cooper? No way!

Gotta agree, I doubt this is just one case and in just one state.

The real problems begin when truly illiterate adults write those notes in seriousness about their children. Forget what Wikipedia says about generation Z, they're the ones who will be such parents. But why edumacate when there's no work to put people to do and college costs will be so far out of reach when such issues should have been fixed by 2007...
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2016 ---
    Too true.

Libraries are becoming day care centers, which they shouldn't, but nobody can afford to pay and the pay is so low nobody wants to do it so where's the market economy people keep saying they want to raise the wages to make it viable when nobody can afford it so wages must go down because we're only a myopic one-sided market society...

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

Renzatic's creative note killed and made the thread worthwhile.