Another Responsible Gun Owner™ Stands His Ground

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just another day in the gun crazy USA.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/...g-help-after-car-crash-in-white-neighborhood/

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, like all shootings it should be investigated.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They should just make it an automatic death penalty if someone "stands their ground" and after investigation it's found out that it wasn't justified. That would surely make people think twice before "standing their ground".

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

if she was shot in the back of her head, clearly the shooter was standing their ground, right?

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

The Idea behind the stand your ground thing is that US citizens are endowed with certain unalienable rights - our constitution and bill of rights and so on.

The ironic thing is that part of this had its genesis in the famed Paul Revere ride to warn that the British were coming. The idea of this amendment was to provide for a militia in case of tyranny.

Fast forward to today and someone would have probably shot Paul Revere for trespassing.

The very thought of this makes my brain hurt.

7. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Am I missing where this has anything to do with a SYG law?

To me, it looks like this is an instance, like thousands before it, where the shooter claims self defense, when it apparently wasn't. If found guilty, they will be punished.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, not really. The idea behind stand your ground is that if the gun manufacturers can make us afraid of each other's shadows and paranoid enough, everyone will have to buy a gun in order to be able to protect themselves from all those crazy people with guns ("everyone else").

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. I was making an attempt to be diplomatic and see where the gun nuts are coming from. I have to admit, though, that I can't get my mind around it.

I forget the dude's name but I can't wait for the "gun grabber" guy to weigh in. I'm getting the popcorn.

10. elistan macrumors 6502a

I assume you mean lostngone. He's too busy supporting forced sedation for colonoscopies in order to look for illegal drugs, after multiple x-rays, digital rectal exams and enemas turn up nothing.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Total madness. This sort of nonsense will continue as long as guns are treated with the same glorification as free speech is. I feel for them who have had their lives wasted pointlessly all because no political leader has the balls to ban guns. The sooner the better.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I do wonder the chances of the guy getting off if there was SYG laws in Michigan.

And I think that's the point the OP was making when he made that swipe at it......

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actually, they seem to prefer guns to free speech. The guy has been a gun writer for decades.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/guns...publishing-editorial-calling-for-gun-control/

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Close for moderator review and clean up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.