Another responsible gun owner has lesson for Oregon students

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes, all gun owners are the same the way all Muslims are the same :rolleyes:
    did he miss the "gun free zone" sign?

thoughts with the families.

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

We're going to get more of the same - immediate reactions front the left and right about this.

Left- example of why guns are bad
    Right - example of how gun free zones create sheep and students need to be armed

How about we wait to see who this was, how they were acquired, before we make assumptions about him?

How about we wait to learn more about what happened and the sequence before we assume that this could have been avoided/mitigated by more or fewer restrictions?

Please?

4. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Moreso than the availability of guns, moreso than the gun free zones, this page best describes the problem. It's the attitudes, the beliefs, the paranoia, and the drive for fame and notoriety that make these things happen.

It all stems from a deep sickness in American society.

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Here is a WILD and CRAZY idea how about we get some facts before pushing your agenda.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

My condolences to friends, family, and the victims.

Sorry, the left beat you to it. White House showed how classy they really are.

OMG. HTF did you find that ??

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I AM A STRONG PERSON! I MATTER! I FEEL A NEED TO PROVE THIS FACT TO COVER MY CRIPPLINGLY LOW SELF ESTEEM! PAY ATTENTION TO ME AS I SHOOT UP ANOTHER SCHOOL!

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It's floating around on Twitter.

11. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

"My agenda"? What do you perceive that to be?

12. Wise87 macrumors 6502

Your title says it all. How about some facts first.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Agreed. It reads like a thread from r/gunsarecool

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

When you have a whole bunch of people getting shot in yet another school shooting (is it Thursday already), the obvious point of contention is the gun, which it isn't entirely wrong.

Guns are an enabler for these types of crime, and having more people armed won't fix the problem, since most people who do commit these acts usually expect to die in the process. An entirely armed populace would only force them to become more clever with their mass murder. To find a better way to take out more people before someone drops them.

But this also draws attention to what I said above. Guns are the enabler, but they're not the cause, and while applying stricter gun laws would help mitigate some of the damage done, it wouldn't stop them from happening entirely. Because while an armed population would force them to become more clever, so would an entirely unarmed population. In the end, they're still going to try and find a way to kill people for notoriety. As the Tsarnaev's have shown us, you don't need a gun to raise some widespread havoc.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pot dealers are able to provide you anything you wish w/o the need to pass any background check & bypass as many laws as you wish.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, and gun parts are a helluva lot more difficult to manufacture and transport than pot is. I'm not advocating a blanket gun ban, but I'm not going to sit here and say doing so wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. Criminals would still have guns, but there'd be less on the street, and what is there would be far more expensive to obtain. With fewer criminals walking around armed, and no guns in the hands of the populace, you'd see a massive decrease in gun related crimes. It's an A leads to B equation here.

But that's an aside, because, once again, guns are merely the convenient enabler, not the sole cause for something far worse. Anyone with the will to commit mass murder will find a way. It's better to consider why people want to commit mass murder than how, because addressing that why would help prevent it from happening again.

What is it about US culture that makes people want to randomly kill a bunch of people? We're not the sole provider of mass murderers in the western world, but we produce the most. It's not the guns, because there are other countries that allow for an armed populace.

What is it about the US that makes people feel paranoid, marginalized, and gives them cause to feel they need to assert their "power"?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Tree of Liberty must be awfully dry this year.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's ok, Obama is bombing the tyrants of the world.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wtf does that have to do with this tragedy? Have some class, sir.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not one more inch. the UK has plenty of crime done with knives.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

says the guy talking about the tree of liberty......

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is that not the justification gun fondlers like to use to keep their jock extensions handy?

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did you not say something about class earlier? consider practicing what you preach.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, you're right, I'll follow your lead. FK the classy response. There's blood on the hands of every gun nut today.