Another salvo in the GOP's "War on Women"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by noisycats, Mar 8, 2012.

1. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Speechless!

"There’s been a huge change over the last 30 years and a lot of that change has been the choice of the women," Grothman said, noting that he thinks "we should educate women that this is a mistake."

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good god! These people know no limits! They need to GO.

3. noisycats thread starter macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Oh wait! And yet another...

It’s called a “wrongful birth” bill and it’s all about preventing women from having an abortion, even if it kills them. The Arizona Senate passed a bill this week that gives doctors a free pass to not inform pregnant women of prenatal problems because such information could lead to an abortion.

Appalling!

I want to hear anyone, anyone, even try and defend either legislation.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I don't even know what point he's tryin to make. Just sounds like some thinly veiled hate aimed at single mums.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So if I am a single father, I don't need to be educated on it being wrong and it won't be a factor in child abuse?

I am glad I am a guy.....

;) :p

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Three cheers for having a Y chromosome!

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If it weren't for the fact that guys will say anything ... do anything ... to get girls/women to have sex with them, then I might agree with the guy.

It's amazing how little they have to say about the role men play in this.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Equality is such a pain in the nether regions, isn't it? How dare we ask the poor defenseless dears to take responsibility for their own choices. I do love how you're so quick to lay all the blame at the feet of any Tom, Dick, and/or Harry that happens to come calling, though.

Children do best with two active, involved parents. There's several decades of social science demonstrating it. Maybe a little more social shaming of single-by-choice mothers isn't such a bad thing.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yeah, it is.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A girl ends up getting pregnant her senior year in high school by her boyfriend at the time. He was 2 years older than her and in the USAF stationed at Offutt AFB in Bellevue, NE. She was held back a year, putting her at 19 her senior year. By the time she graduated, he ran out on her, leaving her with their son to raise by herself, and vehemently denied that he fathered the child, despite signing the birth certificate. 3 years of fighting for child support not only though the state but USAF (even going to his CO) finally got him to admit that he was the father, but refused to go back to her or see his son. She still lives alone with her son, who is close to graduating high school himself, and not really knowing his father at all.

Obviously, this story is true, as it is a high school friend of mine. By this proposal, she would have been declared a child abuser, despite having her parents helping to support him, along with the USAF.

By your reckoning, she should be shamed for doing the RIGHT THING, while the deadbeat dad gets a pass, exempt from this law.

Three years after losing her first child and six second trimester miscarriages, a woman gets pregnant from her boyfriend. They are not married. They have a child who is loved by both of their parents. They decide to have another child, in which the woman gets pregnant again, and will be giving birth soon. They are still together and not married, technically and legally making her single with two children. With friends, family, neighbors, some of them being National Guard, police officers and sheriffs, all of them can vouch and testify that not a single hand nor voice has been raised at or towards their child. By this proposal, the mother would be shamed and labeled a child abuser.

The first story is true, as it is one of my closest friends from high school; the latter story is of my SO, myself, and my now 2 year old child.

If you do not see how wrong this proposal is, your opinion above is as asinine as the proposal itself.

By the way. My mother finally had enough of the arguing and fighting that she divorced my father when I was 8, and raised me on her own; HER CHOICE. She, with a BA and MBA, and 30+ years in my hometown's school system as either a teacher, counselor, Asst. Principal, or High School Principal. Not a single thing came out wrong with me, and I am well in the middle class.

Long story short, you, as well as this idiot of a Wisconsin Senator, need to find out and learn more about the people he is subjecting this to, instead of trying to grandstand for publicity by resorting to the most extreme.

Luckily (and I'll go on record with this), his constituents will vote him out of office, and make sure that every door hits him on the way out.

BL.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Education is a much better tool than hatred, and this guy is just way out of touch. I think much of this is just a misinterpretation on his part. He claims they accept the single mother lifestyle when much of that may just be a desire to do what is best for their kid at that point. Anyway this bill wouldn't accomplish anything good in the end, even from the perspective you suggested.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Wow. The intertwining of religious conservatism with the fiscal conservatism in the republican party will be its undoing. BUT not before the religious republicans flail around scraping tooth and nail in desperation to force their beliefs onto everyone, particularly women. As religion becomes increasingly irrelevant the crazy is going to get a lot worse. It's driving a massive chasm between the religious and those that like proof-based policies and wish to see social progress instead of regress. Together we stand, divided we fall.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I used to think these people would in time die out. But after being on this forum I see that there are young people who also hold these views, that is absolutely frightening.:(

When will the US join the rest of the civilized world in the 21st century?

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Maybe much of the problem with single-parent homes is the shame society imposes upon them, placing them eternally behind the curve regardless of their own efforts? Hmm?

This is sick. Even if you were right about women not taking sufficient responsibility for themselves (and you're emphatically wrong on that), shaming people is a disgusting and unproductive way of going about fixing the problem. Your prescription is as off-base and dangerous as your diagnosis.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Because the US is very divided on these issues and republicans are getting more ferocious. (as said in my post above)

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

But not necessarily any more numerous, more articulate or persuasive.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Considering we've been living in a social structure that wasn't suited to single parents and in fact levied shame at single parents - it's no wonder they've had a hard time.

if children do so well with two active parents, and two active parents is the norm. Then why is the world full of throwbacks?

Society is changing and will eventually support m/f, m, f, m/m and f/f parenting. We will see that good parenting trumps traditional parenting.

18. likemyorbs, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is why republicans sicken me. At their core, they're all the same. Absolutely revolting. Time for some social shaming of republicans, since they clearly are against everything this country stands for. Sometimes i wish the south won the civil war so all the republicans can live in their own poor and socially backward country and stop holding the rest of us back with their outdated "morals" and ideology.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know how poor it would be with all the agriculture, tourism and oil, but it certainly wouldn't be very American as we know it. I would guess it would be a lot closer to a cross between pre-civil war south and Iran.

20. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That sounds terrible! As for poverty, my guess is that if a country were fully controlled by republicans, there wouldn't be a middle class. Everyone would either be VERY rich (slaveowners) or VERY poor (slaves and all other white people). Or in the 21st century, rich waspy white people and poor minorities and rednecks who work for them. And immigration would be banned.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They'd probably send the Statue of Liberty back to France. :D

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And I love how you exaggerate my post. I didn't lay "all the blame" on men.

If you read that from this post, you just may need some remedial education ...

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

gender not being a factor in the parents, of course.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree that two active, involved parents are best. I doubt, however, that most poor single mother's do it out of choice. Its ultimately the men who abandoned their pregnant partners that are the ones making the choice here. I find it doubly ironic that while removing access to cheap or free birth control with one hand, the GOP is trying to force poor, single women to "take responsibility for their actions" with the other.

I would have more respect for the GOP if they went after the absent fathers and provided more education and access to birth control for the poor rather than single out the only people who don't really have a choice here.

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well, at least we can agree on something.;)