Another School Says No to Lesbians' Son

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
A Roman Catholic school in Massachusetts rescinded its admission offer to an 8-year-old boy who has lesbian parents. The school says that their same-sex relationship conflicts with the church’s teachings.

The Associated Press reported about the decision by the school in Hingham, Mass., where the family involved chose to remain anonymous.

“The Massachusetts woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of concerns about the effect of publicity on her son, said she planned to send the boy to third grade at St. Paul Elementary School in Hingham in the fall,” reported the AP. “But she said she learned her son's acceptance was rescinded during a conference call Monday with Principal Cynthia Duggan and the parish priest, the Rev. James Rafferty.”

The Boston archdiocese told the AP it was in consultation with the pastor and principal.

Same-sex marriage is legal in Massachusetts, but the mothers in this case are not married. However, they were open about their relationship during the application process, according to the AP.

“The woman and her partner filled out both their names during the application process — which asked for the names of ‘parents’ rather than mother and father — and attended an open house together at the school in February.”

Earlier this year in Boulder, Colo., a Catholic school said that two children of lesbian parents could not re-enroll because of their mothers’ sexual orientation. The Denver archdiocese supported the school’s move.
Wow. Way to go, Catholics. Because punishing kids for their parents' relationship is the "Christian" thing to do. :rolleyes:

Keep it up. :mad:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/05/13/Mass_School_Says_No_to_Lesbians_Son/

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
They can. But that doesn't mean I can't call them wrong and stupid for doing it.
Does one need any additional reasons to call the leadership of this particular social organization wrong and stupid? :eek:

(And this is why we can never let our country drift any further towards a place where public education is not credible...)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Does one need any additional reasons to call the leadership of this particular social organization wrong and stupid? :eek:

(And this is why we can never let our country drift any further towards a place where public education is not credible...)
No- but it seems to be getting worse.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
I saw a great t-shirt that says:

"If the fetus you save is gay, will you still fight for its rights?"

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Lesbian parents tried to enroll their child into a school, that is based on teachings that say homosexuality is wrong. I don't understand why the parents (or any of you) are surprised or offended at the outcome.

There are plenty of other schools out there, they should try applying to one that doesn't teach that their lifestyle choice is wrong.

I'm not homophobic in any way, but if a school chooses to openly practice the religious beliefs it's based on, then what's the problem?! Would you all be so shocked if the parents tried to enroll the boy into an Islamic school and got turned away?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Lesbian parents tried to enroll their child into a school, that is based on teachings that say homosexuality is wrong. I don't understand why the parents (or any of you) are surprised or offended at the outcome.

There are plenty of other schools out there, they should try applying to one that doesn't teach that their lifestyle choice is wrong.
They teach that a lot of lifestyle "choices" are wrong (it's not a choice), but only pick one to punish kids with. The kid isn't gay, the parents are. Either they do it to everyone (like divorced people, which they also preach against) or no one. And I absolutely have the right to call them idiots for it- absolutely 100% have the right to do so.

I'm not homophobic in any way, but if a school chooses to openly practice the religious beliefs it's based on, then what's the problem?! Would you all be so shocked if the parents tried to enroll the boy into an Islamic school and got turned away?
Yes, I would.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
They teach that a lot of lifestyle "choices" are wrong (it's not a choice), but only pick one to punish kids with. The kid isn't gay, the parents are. Either they do it to everyone (like divorced people, which they also preach against) or no one. And I absolutely have the right to call them idiots for it- absolutely 100% have the right to do so.
I didn't say you don't have the right to call them idiots, you can call them whatever you want. I don't agree with the Catholic church, I'm not religious at all, I was just puzzled as to why everyone is so surprised at the outcome.
How do you know they accept children from single/unmarried parents? It's their right to turn away whomever they please. It's actually not uncommon for annulments to take place in the Catholic church, and because of this it leads me to believe that the view on divorce is not quite as clear cut as the view on homosexuality - although that's my opinion. I have no facts.

(it's not a choice)
Sorry. I can't claim to understand, so I won't. Just assume I worded it in the correct way :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I made fun of the Catholic Church earlier in this thread, but by tradition, the Catholic Church has a pretty strong history of providing education to non-Catholics. I know, in South India, a number of my cousins and other members of my family have attended Catholic and Protestant Christian schools -- none of them are Christians themselves, and although they were asked to comply with school rules, they were not asked to practice the faith associated with the school.

Now, today, Islam is not exactly associated with being a provider of learning and knowledge to the rest of the world, but there were times in Islam's history when it was a very active part of providing knowledge to the world, particularly during times when Christianity, in its turn, was virulently anti-learning.

I think that's something to respect, where it has been practiced, by institutions of all religions.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I didn't say you don't have the right to call them idiots, you can call them whatever you want. I don't agree with the Catholic church, I'm not religious at all, I was just puzzled as to why everyone is so surprised at the outcome.
How do you know they accept children from single/unmarried parents? It's their right to turn away whomever they please. It's actually not uncommon for annulments to take place in the Catholic church, and because of this it leads me to believe that the view on divorce is not quite as clear cut as the view on homosexuality - although that's my opinion. I have no facts.
Regardless, punishing a kid for his parent's relationship is just crazy. They used the boy to s*** on his parents. That's wrong no matter what. You would think they'd want the kid in their school even more because of it, not bar him from attending.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I believe if they dont receive any gov't money, they can do as they like. I could be wrong.
How does the Catholic church, any church for that matter, still have tax exempt status?
^ that is what i was going to ask. if this school is considered tax exempt because of its affiliation with the Catholic Church or because there is a Church on the premises, it's exemption should be rescinded.

this is just another WTF moment.