Another School Says No to Lesbians' Son

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 13, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. Way to go, Catholics. Because punishing kids for their parents' relationship is the "Christian" thing to do. :rolleyes:

Keep it up. :mad:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/05/13/Mass_School_Says_No_to_Lesbians_Son/

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are they going to rescind the acceptances for children whose parents get divorced or have affairs?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what I would like to know. And what about parents who get remarried after a divorce?

4. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

I believe if they dont receive any gov't money, they can do as they like. I could be wrong.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You may be right, but that is not the point.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

This is so dumb. Stuff like this makes me mad.

If they're going to go this route, they should and at least be consistent.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

They can. But that doesn't mean I can't call them wrong and stupid for doing it.

8. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If this was a public school then we'd have a case. Private schools can deny admission. Sad but true.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does one need any additional reasons to call the leadership of this particular social organization wrong and stupid? :eek:

(And this is why we can never let our country drift any further towards a place where public education is not credible...)

11. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

Just watch everyone will have to get accepted to high school just like college is now. Sorry your too stupid, we don't want stupid people or people who have different opinions or beliefs from us.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- but it seems to be getting worse.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't this illegal as its illegal to discriminate against gays in the US?

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- the school is a private school and can do whatever they want.

15. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I saw a great t-shirt that says:

"If the fetus you save is gay, will you still fight for its rights?"

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Boy probably wasn't hot enough.

Yes I gone and said it.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

But they think that homosexuality is a choice.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Daaaaamn... did you really just go there? :)

19. ethical macrumors 68000

Lesbian parents tried to enroll their child into a school, that is based on teachings that say homosexuality is wrong. I don't understand why the parents (or any of you) are surprised or offended at the outcome.

There are plenty of other schools out there, they should try applying to one that doesn't teach that their lifestyle choice is wrong.

I'm not homophobic in any way, but if a school chooses to openly practice the religious beliefs it's based on, then what's the problem?! Would you all be so shocked if the parents tried to enroll the boy into an Islamic school and got turned away?

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

They teach that a lot of lifestyle "choices" are wrong (it's not a choice), but only pick one to punish kids with. The kid isn't gay, the parents are. Either they do it to everyone (like divorced people, which they also preach against) or no one. And I absolutely have the right to call them idiots for it- absolutely 100% have the right to do so.

Yes, I would.

21. ethical macrumors 68000

I didn't say you don't have the right to call them idiots, you can call them whatever you want. I don't agree with the Catholic church, I'm not religious at all, I was just puzzled as to why everyone is so surprised at the outcome.
    How do you know they accept children from single/unmarried parents? It's their right to turn away whomever they please. It's actually not uncommon for annulments to take place in the Catholic church, and because of this it leads me to believe that the view on divorce is not quite as clear cut as the view on homosexuality - although that's my opinion. I have no facts.

Sorry. I can't claim to understand, so I won't. Just assume I worded it in the correct way :)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I made fun of the Catholic Church earlier in this thread, but by tradition, the Catholic Church has a pretty strong history of providing education to non-Catholics. I know, in South India, a number of my cousins and other members of my family have attended Catholic and Protestant Christian schools -- none of them are Christians themselves, and although they were asked to comply with school rules, they were not asked to practice the faith associated with the school.

Now, today, Islam is not exactly associated with being a provider of learning and knowledge to the rest of the world, but there were times in Islam's history when it was a very active part of providing knowledge to the world, particularly during times when Christianity, in its turn, was virulently anti-learning.

I think that's something to respect, where it has been practiced, by institutions of all religions.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Regardless, punishing a kid for his parent's relationship is just crazy. They used the boy to s*** on his parents. That's wrong no matter what. You would think they'd want the kid in their school even more because of it, not bar him from attending.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How does the Catholic church, any church for that matter, still have tax exempt status?

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

^ that is what i was going to ask. if this school is considered tax exempt because of its affiliation with the Catholic Church or because there is a Church on the premises, it's exemption should be rescinded.

this is just another WTF moment.