Another shooting at Fort Hood

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Apr 2, 2014.

1. bradl, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Here we go again. This is active and breaking at this time, so no word yet on who, why, how, or otherwise, except that the shooter is still active.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...od-goes-on-lockdown-after-reports-of-shooting

Because it's breaking, I'm going to reserve judgment or (conspiracy) theories until after the incident is over and questions are starting to be asked. Stay tuned.

EDIT: The AP just reported that one person has been killed, 14 injured. nothing on who it may be.

EDIT #2: POTUS has been informed, and the assailant is dead; self-inflicted gunshot wound.

BL.

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

What the hell. Would like more information before commentating.

Although sincerely hope no one bedsides the shooter is dead.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wonder if there were missed (i.e. ignored) signs this time just like in the 2009 shooting.

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Insert witty and slightly insensitive remark here.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope only the shooter is dead

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Lovely to read the incredible sensitivity expressed above toward the person who died and the family and friends of the deceased.

Charming post...

9. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Fort Hood, a place where there are many good guys with a gun. :rolleyes:

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Actually, a military base has many weapons but they are almost all secured in the armories. The only people armed on military bases are guards and military police. It is a misconception to believe that everyone is walking around packing heat. Even when you see soldier marching with weapons... No ammo.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Shooter identified as Ivan Lopez, he took 3 others with him, that we know of so far. I guess that must be a more stressful job than working at the Post Office. Or maybe it is just that part of Texas (not far from the Koresh place).

12. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Damn. 3 died? :(

----------

I sincerely hope this mentally ill person along with the other victims rest in peace.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Hopefully this can inspire the military and politicians to do more for mental health care with military members to prevent things like this from happening as often.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ending all wars would be a great step.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This has nothing to do with availability. Shooter was a soldier. Sounds like PTSD

----------

This is the correct course of action.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Another shooting at Fort Hood

Ever spend time on a military base? I sure as hell have and soldiers are not walking around with weapons and there is no squad of high speed MP's that can fast rope in at a moments notice and take out active shooters.

And even if you happen to have an M4 and headed to qual you wouldn't have any ammo.

17. chabig macrumors 68040

Privately owned guns are prohibited on military bases. We are as helpless as school children. Go figure.

18. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Mental health should be taken rather seriously by the government. I agree.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably because the "good guy with a gun" thing doesn't make people safer. If it did ever work it would with trained soldiers.

Sad that this has happened - perhaps this base is poorly run.

20. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

More victim mentality.

So you want to give up, role over and be victimized?

No thank you! I will use any an all tools available to secure the ability to protect myself.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because it's victim mentality to copy the army...

22. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

While you are at it, just pick up a few AK 47's, flash bangs, pepper spray, tasers oh and don't forget those grenades and tanks how could I possibly forgot those?:rolleyes:

Once you have gotten all of that go out and kill anyone you don't like or acts suspiciously because ya know, this is all in self defence right?

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That maybe would have prevented a few less deaths or injuries in this situation, but that's a big maybe and not likely. Anyone at a filled up range(military or private) can probably get several kills before someone shoots back.

I've spent more than half a decade stationed at bases in America. It's the very last place you'll ever expect to be in danger. There is enough security and police to make anyone feel safe.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp, the wrong person with a weapon can easily kill multiple people whether or not others are carrying? The element of surprise alone gives the attacker time to shoot at least 2 people even if all those surrounding are carrying. Unless it's expected or your in a battle zone, the element of surprise will always take effect.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can see how civilians have no understanding of how few people are really armed at any one time on a military base. Truthfully, on base is the place where our servicemen and women are the least safe. No matter how well trained you are, you are a sitting duck if you are unarmed.

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

But you sure have access to knives, or something?