Another so soon? Bullying Drives Teen to Suicide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 28, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/28/Antigay_Bullying_Prompts_Houston_Suicide/

And before anyone says anything- yes, I will keep posting threads about bullying- whether it be gay-related or not. This **** has to stop.

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Why can't they be consolidated to a single thread?

Its not posting to a message board actually takes any effort on your part. Effort would be volunteering to help at local schools and youth organizations; heaven forbid some even at church. Then again I fully expect a reply that you already do this...

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Gee, that didn't take long. And yes, I do donate to organizations that help kids like this, especially locally. You do what you can, where you can. So if you don't like the subject, don't read the thread.

Now, do you have anything constructive to say? Or did you just have to poke your nose in here while relaxing your brain again?

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This thread should also be a lesson on gun safety. Always keep your guns and ammo locked in a separate locations with the key hidden. Unless properly trained, there's no reason a middle schooler should have access to a gun, even in the event of home invasion. He's likely to do more harm than good. If he hadn't had access to a gun, he may have shown more warning signs or tried another method that failed and would allow his parents to get him help. This story is two tragedies into one.

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Stuff like this is so ****ed up. Why bigotry of this kind is still encouraged in our society today I can't imagine. I recently read about the It Gets Better project in a local rag, started in response to incidents such as with Billy Lucas and Asher Brown and thought it was a great idea.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=4940874
    http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterproject

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The parents filed complaints for a year and a half, no response. The school bureaucrats loses the paperwork in all the red tape, big surprise.:rolleyes:

I've dealt the kids bullying others in presences. I step in right away. It gets the wife all riled up. "It's not your job to teach other peoples kids" and so on. I believe it is. I've been confronted by bullies angry parents and I've told them straight up, "Either you teach your kids how to behave or *I* will! And you're not going to like the way *I* will teach them." I'll hand out Irish sunglasses all around.

I got bullied a lot in school; pissed me off something furious. It all end after a Coward of the County incident where 3 bullies were left in crumpled heaps.
    [​IMG]
    Anytime I see bullying, now a days, it works me up enough that I've given Irish sunglasses to several parents.:cool:

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Good for you. ;)

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Why didn't this kid's dad get on the bus, threaten to kill any student who was bullying his kid, and then bring national attention to the problem?

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Two wrongs do not a right make. Event the father to whom you refer admits his rash action/behavior was a mistake.

11. 184550 Guest

Yes, because more violence is the answer... :rolleyes:

Who's the bully now?

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

That so true.

I am going to lay a lot of the blame for this on the parents of the kid. They clearly saw that there was a problem due to the attempted help. No doubt they have heard in the news the other instances of bullied kids taking their own lives.

Yet

They still had a firearm that was readily accessible to the mentally distraught adolescent. Weapon should have been locked up with the key on a parents key ring and under their pillow while they slept.

It's a shame.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

And you didn't kill yourself? :eek:

I got bullied a lot, too - should I have killed myself? :eek:

I don't condone bullying, I'm not against punishing bullies or reaching out to bullied kids - I think there are some good ideas posted in this thread and others about it. And my heart goes out to the family and friends of this kid. But come on, not everyone who gets bullied becomes a suicide statistic. Some of us turn out just fine.

It's everybody's job to put a stop to bullying, and that includes the victim. (Yes, I said it.) Report it. Report it again. If the teachers do nothing about it, go to the principal. Go to the counselor (I know from experience that counselors are MUCH more pro-active in anti-bullying). Go to your parents. Go to your friends. Go to your clergyman. Go to the police. If nothing else works, take it into your own hands. Do something about it - don't let others decide your fate for you.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sometimes, it is.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Please Lee ignore posts such as this,what is happening (and has been happening a long long time) is a bloody scandal and needs as much publicity as possible.It also makes a difference to have important topics raised here instead of the usual bollocks from the right wing fringe.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh believe me, I could not care less about people who claim that they "don't have to think when posting here".

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

First of all, what a tiresome and lame response. Obviously not everyone who gets bullied commits suicide. :rolleyes:

Second of all, you got bullied for being gay? Because if not it's a different situation.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm 5 ft next to nothing, I have a unique voice that over the phone is often confused with my secretary, I dress well, I'm not a bad looking guy, and I was fairly shy in school. You don't have to be gay to be bullied over peoples' perceptions, their bias, and their fears.

I had people mess with me over my height, my voice, my dress, my looks... you name it, they tried to mess with me. When their girlfriends broke up with them for me, they tried to beat me up. I was a 12 letter athelete, and my teammates had my back.

You can be different and still fit in. You can be bullied, and still be popular. You can survive the stupid crap that the stupid kids pull, but it requires a lot of internal fortitude and external support.

I wish there was some way to teach kids who are suicidal that it may seem bad, but the best revenge will be their success.

19. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I agree with this statement. Fighting for the sake of fighting is just stupid, and starting a fight is just as stupid, but sometimes kids have to stand up for themselves.

I was picked on when I was in Jr. High and High School for a number of different things (being called gay included among them). My parents were supportive and I developed a pretty thick skin fairly quickly so it was mostly a none issue for me.

There was one kid that always liked to pick on me and was a pain in the arse to deal with. One day he was stupid enough to take a shot a me and not expecting me to give anything back. He hit me in the gut so i punched him in the nose... think I broke it if I remember correctly. Anyway, I ended up getting a suspension (parents not to upset because i was standing up for myself) and the other kid got a much more lengthy suspension. Once we were both back in school he never messed with me again. Standing up for yourself (even if it is half-way futile) can still get the point across to a bully.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

My wife is under 5', and was being bullied by a much, much bigger girl. Her father told her to stand up one time, and that would be the end of it. He taught her a thing or two, and the next time the big girl messed with her, she ended up eating a book and watching fists hit her face from her back.

After that, the bigger girls never messed with her.

21. 184550 Guest

I noticed that Lee decided to omit the latter half of my response.

I was remarking on the irony of his position in his support of violence as an acceptable means of action.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Talk only works if the other party understand the language. Bullies understand violence. No need to resort of physical violence when the treat of a being mashed into a pulp is enough to scare most bullies AND their I-won't-teach-my-kids-manners parents. Yes, I blame the parents! The kids won't get Irish Sunglasses (I don't have any in their sizes ;)), but I won't hesitate if some loud mouth prick won't stop his kid when they're being pricks. There's a very important life's lesson people need to learn: actions have consequences. I consider a pair of shiners cheap tuition.

How does that saying go? The only thing evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing. If you expect me to stand, arms akimbo, while a runt is getting picked on by bigger kids, you don't know squat about me.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I omitted the last part of your post because it was pure BS. Defending yourself and others against bullies is not being a bully. Sometimes it is the only thing the understand, and your only recourse. Is it the first choice? No. But sometimes it is the only choice.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What I see here is "It's not okay to bully someone for being gay, but every other reason is fair game."

I mean, if it's a "different situation," as you say, then bullying isn't a problem, right? :rolleyes:

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, most of the gay kids were a lot bigger than I was, and they had it easy compared to us smaller kids. Gay is just inconvenient genetics. Short is genetics conspiring against you to make it more difficult to stand up for yourself.