Another SSI Disability Claim Reason

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The World Health Organization has now classified the lack of sex or the failure to find a sexual partner as a disability.

They claim that calling it a disability will allow more people to get fertility treatment.

After reading the article, do believe that they did the right thing ?

2. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Choosing to believe that the article is BS, that words - words such as "disability" - still have meaning.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

These articles are often spun independent of the research. Take it with some skepticism and look for an actual press release.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

First off, WHO doesn't set national policy. So they can declare whatever disability they want, if it doesn't change our laws.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

First, the World Health Organization's opinions and rulings do not necessarily mean they are accepted down to countries ruling authorities on healthcare.

For all we know this in reality will mean that people unable to find sexual partners will become a Billing code for insurance companies to treat the distress caused to ones mental health not being able to find a suitable sex partner and procreate. From the prospective of mental health, nothing is a problem unless it causes distress to the individual (or places individuals or others in danger).

The article is exceptionally vague, I think we'll have to do some more research to see what the WHO is actually saying and the implications they would like it to have.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What if you have a lot of sex but you aren't good at it? Or your partner isn't good at it? Can you still be classified as disabled then?

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Thank you for the response.

For those more knowledgable then me, how does a World Health Organization ruling affect the EU (i.e. could this ruling be for the EU) ?

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If you vote for Hillary you can hacecsex with madonna, according to madonna.

9. A.Goldberg, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

None- though they may try to pressure the EU. The World Health Organization is part of the UN and they have a few functions in integrating countries healthcare systems from diagnosis codes and disease classifcations to epidemiology to crisis management to treatment recommendations. Basically, the WHO wants to expand the definition of the disability of "infertility" to include those not not able to find a sexual partner.

While this concept could be included to the definition of WHO, it doesn't mean countries would have to support specific treatments. For example, currently Ketamine is used to treat treatment resistant depression and there is some limited supporting evidence. Insurance companies do not cover the treatment however. Male pattern baldness is recognized as a medical phenomenon, often treated with Propecia but insurances won't cover it despite the fact Propecia is an FDA approved drug for male pattern baldness. If your child had an intellectual disability, it might be nice to have a private aid provided 24/7/365 to follow him/her around and keep an eye on them - it doesn't mean that is going to happen.

Anything can be recognized as medical issue, but what treatments and to what extent if any are approved for it are up to the insurance companies and/or government health authorities.

If say the EU accepted the WHO definition of infertility, it may mean single men or women would be able to be provided medical services (IVF, surrogate mothers) to have children with the same access and priority as heterosexual and homosexual parents. It could also however just create a subtype of "infertility" (i.e. social infertility vs biological) which would serve as a billing code for therapists.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It occurred to me that the writer may not have a lot of domain knowledge. She seems to normally write about current events. I can't find anything on the World Health Organization's page, and the article itself doesn't include any linked sources. That would be why I'm extremely skeptical of it.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

As are things generally speaking about healthcare when written in newspapers.

I just looked and couldn't find anything either from WHO. I did find this more comprehensive article from the telegraph:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.tele...-a-family-under-new-defini/amp/?client=safari

---
    Along the same points as before- WHO also puts out treatment guidelines. They may be similar or different than the NIH guidelines (US), or NICE (UK) guidelines, or some third party like American Heart Assoc. No country is required to follow WHO with their guidelines.

WHO also classifies diseases through their ICD division (International Statistics of Disease and Related Health Problems- you may have heard of ICD-9 or ICD-10 codes to process insurance claims). The ICD includes diagnostic criteria for mental health conditions for much of the world. The US however uses the DSM, put out by the American Psychiatric Assoc. While much of the criteria is similar there are some differences. Here the US chooses not to follow the WHO diagnostic criteria but as their own set.

12. chown33, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

chown33 macrumors 604

If the "SSI" in the title is intended to mean the US Federal Supplemental Security Income program, then the title is grossly mistaken.

Nothing in the article even mentions SSI. If you have anything that relates it to the US SSI program, please provide the source.

Your summary of the article and the WHO finding is incomplete.

You left out the important qualifier "to have children with". In other words, the inability to find a partner to have children with is what the WHO now considers a disability (assuming the article as a whole is accurate).

The simple inability to find a sex partner isn't what the article is talking about at all.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's an interesting article. It's also framed from a point of introspective discussion rather than as a breaking news story.

I wasn't familiar with some of the low level details. I do occasionally read medical research, but it's always quantitative research rather than medicine.

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I can't find my left hand, Rosie and her five sisters. Does this mean I'm disabled?

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How long have you been dealing with this problem?

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Where? Besides the dictionary I mean.

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

How many more babies do people need when so many remain un-adopted when the wannabe-parents desperately want one?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2016 ---
    What, you never get tired of being turned down or depressed by real people the way real people do? Unlike what's shown in movies, American girls really aren't easy and on the contrary they might use you for a cu$hy divorce, too.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Are you looking for help?

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You offering to help?;)

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

above my pay grade.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Typical librul elitist? :p

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well disability is a pretty vague and generalized word to begin with. Disability- dis (lack of) + ability (means or skill).

So I suppose you could throw a lot of things, including not being able to land a partner, under the "disability" umbrella.

It does seem words meaning become diluted with time -or at least change quite a bit from what they originally meant.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Being a single man isn't a disability but single men who want to be parents are clearly disadvantaged compared to single women, by biology and often by government policies. I don't see anything wrong with that disadvantage being fixed by government policy and money.

24. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Blow jobs for the men from Madonna, and cigar rides for the women from Bill. The perfect campaign

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

They don't pay me enough to check your twig and berries.