Another Star Accused Of Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I left his name out of the title because we probably could just use a thread that has all the new accusations instead of a dozen different ones for each guy. Anyway, today its.... Jeremy Piven.

"An actress who appeared on "Entourage" has accused Jeremy Piven of sexual assault.

Ariana Bellamar tweeted to Piven on Monday, "'Member when you cornered me in your trailer on the #Entourage set? ‘Member grabbing my boobies on the [couch] without asking??""

Standing by for how he responds.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-assault-by-reality-star-ariane-bellamar.html

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I have to admit to having a major crush on Piven since seeing him wearing only a towel on Ellen's old TV sitcom. I don't want this to be true, but fear that it might be, as he is a really good looking guy and sometimes good looking guys just think everyone wants their advances. (In my case that would have been true, but I digress).

I think the revelation that disturbed me even more was the Mark Halprin one since I see him on TV almost everyday so he seems so much more familar. Well, not anymore I guess.

NBC News, MSNBC cut ties with Mark Halperin
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/30/media/mark-halperin-nbc-sexual-harassment/index.html

I have to wonder how someone like him will earn a living going forward now. How will he support his family?

Meanwhile we have a guy who brags about doing the same things on tape and he gets the highest honor and job in the land and will have no problem earning a living.

Something is really out of whack here.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Maybe he will run for President in 2020, he’s got as many qualifications as the current guy.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Not to diminish the situation, it sounds like a sexual assault, but really she expects someone to ASK permission to grab boobs?
    Hopefully it’s just a figure of speech.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2017 ---
    Not even two posts and it has to be about Trump, when it has nothing to do with Trump. BOOOORING.

5. 0007776 Suspended

Assuming you have a daughter or wife how would you feel if someone groped them without permission?

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Permission is one thing, asking is different.
    “Can I grab your boobs?” sounds a little ... bit much and off putting.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Think of it this way. it would be one thing if they were fooling around and then he did it. But he seemed to just do that out of the blue. That's assault.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

As opposed to “with permission”? :p

I think his point was that the groping was the issue, not whether it was permitted.
    She says he “cornered her”. If her story is to be believed I think we can rule out consent.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am not denying that the assault happened. Just that he had to “ask”... I don’t know, it’s a weird choice of words.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm sure I'm going to end up regretting this.

But aren't we getting a little carried away here?

Jeremy Piven grabbed some woman a decade or so ago. Uh, naughty of him. Don't grab your co-workers. Kevin Spacey made a drunken pass at a fellow actor (albeit a seriously underage one) thirty years ago? Again: Very naughty. The fact that nothing further seemed to have transpired seems irrelevant?

I'm not trying to downplay the trauma of sexual assault. I'm not trying to excuse bad behavior of any sort.

But I'm becoming a little concerned that we are creating an atmosphere where literally any bad behavior, of an even slightly sexual nature, that may have happened years or even decades in the past is somehow fair game to trash somebody?

We are all human. That doesn't excuse sexual assault or sexual harassment. But I am worried about where this current frenzy might end up.

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Because most people just don't jump to second base. you're fooling around, your hands start moving... If you are gonna put someone in a corner and just grab them...I get what you mean but without foreplay or consent (hey nice boobs may I?)....
    And I don't like to say guilty without any other proof but I totally believe her. There was something always off about this guy. Stories of him being a bully and having a huge ego....just the type that would think that this is ok.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don’t deny the story. I don’t even know the two people involved. I am just worried that we are creating a situation in which a man has to compile a form that has to be approved by a girl (or viceversa, of course) before anything can happen. As I said I am just worring about the word “ask”.

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I get you. Not even going to make a joke about your post first. You're worried about the slippery slope. I put my hand on someone at work's shoulder, is that an unwanted touch. Who knows? I grabbed my female friends ass as a joke at work years ago. She cracked up. We do that. We would never do that at work again. Someone might see it and I would be fired. Even if my friend doesn't care. I got a warning because someone over heard a slightly inappropriate joke I made about a friend's wife. He didn't care. But someone else did. So, no more. I know, I'm rambling. Should we punish someone for something they did years ago that now is considered wrong. A comic who used the term faggy in the 80s not even meaning gay but still....?
    That's not such a bad idea for any man who is worried about this. Especially in college...are you drunk and can't consent or just buzzed? Sure takes the fun out of it.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

If you want the truth, I once asked. Only once, but I actually asked with a straight face, directly, and for a good experimental reason. I was 14 or 15, and this girl I was a good friend with (same age) at the beach had enormous breasts that were 100% anti-gravitational. An anatomical paradox. Since she wore bikinis that were probably two sizes too small I ruled out any form of surgery. Therefore, I had to ask to check the consistency. Absolutely no other purpose - I was not attracted to her at least not more than the usual hormonal teenager would be - than checking the consistency in an attempt to understand. So I asked. She was puzzled, and asked why, to which I replied explaining my scientific experiment. For a moment I thought I had it, but ultimately she politely declined. I will never figure it out.
    (We’re still good friends, although now the friendship is thorugh the internet as I left the continent)

15. jdechko macrumors 601

I'm certainly not condoning inappropriate behavior of any type. Something happening once may be accidental, in a moment of poor judgement, sober or otherwise. Sometimes, these actions still carry consequences. But for something to happen repeatedly indicates to me that this person thinks their actions are okay.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Spacey made a sexual advance to a 14-year-old kid when he was 26. That's a crime in New York state. Assuming prosecutors decide not to charge him, he still did something wrong all those years ago.

As for Piven, I'm not really interested in arguing for him, but I see a big difference in one awful, failed attempt at seduction and the serial predations of Weinstein, or the rampant misogyny of Halperin.

The bigger question is whether we'll allow people to defend themselves. If Piven argues that it was consensual, will he still lose his career? Had Spacey argued that the incident never happened, would Netflix still cancel "House of Cards?"
    Pics. Or it didn't happen.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Unfortunately it didn’t happen ;) Scientific failure on my part ;)

(Nice try to extort a picture !)

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Hulugu brings up an important point. We risk seeing all of these incidents as the same, but they're not. We can say that some are worse than others. This could prevent us from dismissing them all, but also from determining that they all should result in career-ruination. I think it's important that we talk about this, but we need to remember that it's still innocent until proven guilty, even when it comes to sexual crimes.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Netflix should have cancelled house of cards after 4 series.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

100% agreed. Season 5 was awful. Just plain awful.

21. MachCrit, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

These people used their powerful position to prey on lesser victims. They don't need counseling, they need jail time.

Weinstein in particular should go away for the rest of his life.

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

What is it about power and fame that turns people into predators? Like...do you think they would still be pulling this kind of stuff if they were just regular people? Probably not, as they wouldn't feel like they'll get away with it so easily.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I can't jump to conclusions. I'm a rape survivor and to be honest, some women lie. I've seen good guys go to jail until it's revealed they did it to spite the man for whatever wrong they perceived him doing. They get let out of jail but they can never get that time back.

I'm not downplaying a crime but I'm also not throwing every man to the wolves either.

24. MachCrit, Oct 31, 2017

MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

I'd throw Weinstein to the wolves in a heartbeat. Despicable man that has avoided paying a price for his crimes. Show me where the pack lives.

A lot of powerful people need to go with him. Are we a nation of laws or kings, where the latter live by a different set of rules?

That said, US law enforcement is taking the time to do an investigation. It is a testament to our citizen's respect for the law that some husband hasn't dispatched the miscreant over the past three decades.

25. Zenithal, Oct 31, 2017

Zenithal macrumors G3

I don't know Pivel well. I've only seen that boardwalk/department store show he's been on and I never finished that.

In the past, years ago, I was told by employees I could be like his character, Gold. I've never seen the show apart from part of an episode. It wasn't my cup of tea. I've watched YouTube clips of Gold, his character. He comes across as a brutal ******* hellbent on having his way. I don't think that represents me well and I've since asked employees to not repeat that, even if it was meant as a good ribbing.

I can only see me being a bit strict for procedure and not skipping steps. That's it.

Back to topic, this is kind of surprising. Piven isn't exactly anyone important in the acting world apart from one or two well known shows. It's a bit like Jim Parson's harassing a cameraman or something to that effect.

There's a few actors I've been watching for 20-30 years who come across as clean as a whistle, good men. Hopefully we don't see them in the press accused of doing these heinous things to women or men.

Isn't that what sex crazed Italians do for fun, though? I kid...