Another Star Wars may be in the works

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it's true, I really wouldn't mind. Sure, it'll probably detract from the Star Wars epic and all the loyal fans will cry foul but Lucas created an amazing world and having seen Episode III and then the 'old' episodes again, there's a lot of cool stuff that could be explained and shown in a movie.

IMO, they almost need another one in-between III and IV to explain how the Republic gained control and the Rebellion started.

From a non-Star Wars geek, I think it'd be cool.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Tip...

mad jew said:
IMO, they almost need another one in-between III and IV to explain how the Republic gained control and the Rebellion started.

The Emperor and Vader made the Death Star and killed everyone.
Leia got bored and formed a group of people.
There ya go, 20 years of missing story in just a few sentences.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's an awful lot of information and detail for it not to have some basis in fact. I just hope they do it right and not have quirky Jar-jar Ewoks on the thing.

Keep it like the ROS and it would be quite cool.

D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
appleretailguy said:
The Emperor and Vader made the Death Star and killed everyone.
Leia got bored and formed a group of people.
There ya go, 20 years of missing story in just a few sentences.

Thanks. :D

Still, they could almost make a movie out of this. It'd be a great excuse for some epic Rebellion vs Empire battles.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
sonyrules said:
I dont mind a good movie, But i think Lucus might want to pull the plug...

http://www.cinematical.com/2005/05/25/lucas-idea-for-new-star-wars-prequel/
I certainly hope this is not true. No way. Please no.

Why? COMPLETE break with continuity. There hasn't been a Sith that the Jedi knew of for hundreds of years, remember? Or was it thousands? How could it have been 88 years ago?

I don't want him to pull the plug though. He's already confirmed two television series (one live action, one animated). Not rumor, it was stated at the Episode 3 Celebration officially.

From another board...
After the two television series (for which he's taking more of an executive role), there will be no more Star Wars from Lucas, as he wants to move on and back to the type of films that he's always really wanted to make since the early 1970s.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
mad jew said:
If it's true, I really wouldn't mind. Sure, it'll probably detract from the Star Wars epic and all the loyal fans will cry foul but Lucas created an amazing world and having seen Episode III and then the 'old' episodes again, there's a lot of cool stuff that could be explained and shown in a movie.

Personally I'm hoping for the TV series to explain the beginning of the Rebellion.

I just don't want a prequel that close to the timeline. It's a COMPLETE continuity killer. Just totally ruins it. I wouldn't mind one set in the KOTOR period or Sith Wars thousands of years prior though.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
mad jew said:

well the rise the empire from the republic is shown at the end of episode 3

as far as the formation of a rebellion, i would assume that was the work of Senator Bail Organa and those that did not agree with the chancellors decision to for an empire.

i wouldn't mind seeing the star wars: expanded universe stuff done to feature film

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would like to see another "Star Wars" movie. If Lucas has an idea for the film, he should proceed. The age of 60 is no reason why he couldn't continue to play an integral part in the film. It just may help him to stay healthy.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
wdlove said:
I would like to see another "Star Wars" movie. If Lucas has an idea for the film, he should proceed. The age of 60 is no reason why he couldn't continue to play an integral part in the film. It just may help him to stay healthy.
Or he could just spread the work out and oversee it, like he did with Empire. A 90 year prequel to Episode I that Lucas refers to could be really cool. It's the Sith that are always the fun part of Star Wars (Darth Maul, Vadar, Sideous...). There would be many Sith in this prequel.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I would really like to see three more movies. We've seen how the bad guys take over, and how the good guys fight back. But we haven't see how the story comes full cycle.

Another trilogy of sequels, with some help for the dialogue and on screen interaction please.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
GFLPraxis said:
I certainly hope this is not true. No way. Please no.

Why? COMPLETE break with continuity. There hasn't been a Sith that the Jedi knew of for hundreds of years, remember? Or was it thousands? How could it have been 88 years ago?
Ah, but maybe its about the Return of the Sith - remember Darth Sidious mentioned someone called Darth Plageus (?) who was killed by his apprentice in his sleep.....that could be Sidious' Master and 88 years ago would be the right time for him to show up :D

D

Chris1127

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
Jackson, MS
Xtremehkr said:
I would really like to see three more movies. We've seen how the bad guys take over, and how the good guys fight back. But we haven't see how the story comes full cycle.

Another trilogy of sequels, with some help for the dialogue and on screen interaction please.
Wasn't the series originally planned to be nine movies (three more post-RotJ), but Lucas decided to cut it back to the six we have now?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Chris1127 said:
Wasn't the series originally planned to be nine movies (three more post-RotJ), but Lucas decided to cut it back to the six we have now?
I believe so, I give George another 10 years before he feels the need to finish the whole story. It is still incomplete, the Jedi really haven't come back yet, there's only one left.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Xtremehkr said:
I believe so, I give George another 10 years before he feels the need to finish the whole story. It is still incomplete, the Jedi really haven't come back yet, there's only one left.

And he's a prat. They need to fix that. I'd love to see another trilogy lopped on the end but it's a pretty big ask. Plus, you've got to worry about not having the original actors etc.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
mad jew said:
And he's a prat. They need to fix that. I'd love to see another trilogy lopped on the end but it's a pretty big ask. Plus, you've got to worry about not having the original actors etc.
Since the story is moving ahead and not backwards, you could compensate for that. I never really like Hamil, but the original cast is still around. Though Harison Ford is in his golden years now. I imagine that the focus would be more on the people whom the original cast of the first three movies have trained to succeed them. Which would take the focus off of the original 5 (Lando is counted with the ageless droids).

They would play a role similar to the original Obe Wan and serve as mentors to the new cast who are charged with reinvigorating the Democratic Republic. Serving as mentors and not mainplayers in the new trilogy.

At this point, Fisher and Hamil have nothing better to do, and Ford owes Lucas plenty considering who made his career. I don't know what Billy Dee Williams is up to, but I haven't seen him in anything else.

It would be great to see them reprise limited roles in the new saga. And an opportunity to introduce some new actors like the original series did. The prequels had the advantage when it came to being able to draw known actors. But I imagine that another set of sequels would be youth reliant as it shows the progression of the rebellion into something more substantial.

There is a lot to be told still. But the last should leave off where the first started to make it a complete story. Or at least a complete representation of the cycle that Lucas seems to be hinting at.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Rumors I've heard from a friend out west is that Lucas will write 7,8,9 and have Speilberg direct them.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
A few years ago, Tim Zahn wrote a triology of books. You could almost hear John Williams' score in the background as you flipped the pages. All the authors of subsuquent books worked hard to stay in cannon (unlike Star Trek). Personally, I hope they let it go for what it is. But I know they won't.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
Ah, but maybe its about the Return of the Sith - remember Darth Sidious mentioned someone called Darth Plageus (?) who was killed by his apprentice in his sleep.....that could be Sidious' Master and 88 years ago would be the right time for him to show up :D

D
Now that actually seems like something that would be very likely to occur, though it would be more of a side story than and actual episode...

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
MacNut said:
Rumors I've heard from a friend out west is that Lucas will write 7,8,9 and have Speilberg direct them.
I've heard the same, i dont know if i heard the spielberg part, but supposedly 7 is already in production.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hopefully with a more adult angle and less child-pleasing foolishness. Who am I kidding, how can you mass market that?