Another transgender teen dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skottichan, Dec 30, 2014.

1. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...der-teen-death-needs-mean-something/21044407/

17 year old Union County, Ohio transgirl, Leelah Alcorn took her own life this morning.

This, is hard for me to write about. She was was a fellow artist from Ohio. I followed her on Tumblr, but I never got a chance to really talk to her.

When I logged in, I read the suicide post that she had left and I cried.

It's a hard life not being cisgendered, we face a world of "it's a phase" or "oh you're just wanting attention". I used to be a mentor and advisor for a youth gender therapy group. It's hard to keep going when you see transmen and women murdered, then the murderer using the "transpanic" defense, and getting a lesser charge, or even being acquitted.

It's hard to deal with the majority of people who accuse intersex and transpeople of being perverts when all we want to do is use the restroom. It's especially hard when our parents don't accept us and throw us onto the streets.

I've seen people use the statistics that trans and intersex people have higher drug addiction and suicide rates and use that to make it sound like we're suffering from an "unhealthy lifestyle". Those figures exist because we're having to deal with something cisgendered people can't imagine, having your entire Self being denied.

So, another beautiful young woman is dead. A daughter of parents who couldn't accept her, is gone. She was a child, a ****ing child, who had no real love and support from those who should have loved her most.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pain of it usually shifts to the family of the deceased

4. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

In this case, they are partly responsible for this tragic event. I can't begin to imagine their pain.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

At work I always use the ladies room, because it is right next to my office and I am lazy.
    If someone dares calling me a pervert I tell them to go **** themselves.

Never heard the word "transpanic".
    The world would be a better place if people would stop being uptight.

Suicide is always a bad idea. If you already decided to off yourself just think:
    Why not live a bit longer? You'll die eventually anyway, so why not make the time till then count?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Might take them some time to feel it. I don't it why some parents shun their kids when the lifestyle is not illegal

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Has nothing to do with legal or illegal. Some parents hate their children for no reason whatsoever.

8. skottichan thread starter macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Trans/Gay Panic as a legal defense

While it's cool that you're able to stand up like that. And, there are transpeople out there that have no problem being strong in the face of *******s, I mean, actress Laverne Cox is a good example of that.

The problem is, when you're a teenager, everything's already weird and hormonal, on top of that you have the dysmorphia of being in the wrong body. It gets overwhelming, then stack on parents who either don't care, or are antagonistic, it can easily become just too much to bear.

Hell, it was hard for me growing up, and I have it relatively easy, I'm intersex. Even in a bikini, I look like a woman (granted, a 6'1" tall woman), but I've had to deal with some serious ignorance in the past over gender and the like.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

the mother's response: good riddance.

Seriously. The woman is a pathetic excuse for a mother. "My son" was "hit by a truck during an early morning walk." Wake the **** up, lady! Your daughter killed herself because you and your husband refused to help the poor child!

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

To be honest: Noone has ever called me a pervert.
    They just know I don't want to walk a few doors further. I have to preserve energy :D
    I also don't see the point of separat bathrooms for grown adults.
    (Except in the Downtown Los Angeles library. You know what I mean if you've ever been there.)

Being a teenager is a terrible time in life. And it seems to go on forever. Not feeling like your physiological gender must be a bizare experience. Glad I never had to deal with that myself.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Here's the edit history of her status... she doesn't even know how old her child is...

Attached Files:

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My daughter is 12, I've said 11 on more than one occasion. I'm not sure that means anything.

14. skottichan thread starter macrumors 6502a

skottichan

On you, it really doesn't. On Leelah's mother, it's just another piece of disconnect from her daughter, or at least, that's how it feels.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But how long ago was his/her birthday? Trust me, it's an easy mistake to make.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Exactly. And calling her "his son" was the final insult. Horrible woman who doesn't deserve the title of mother.

Horribly tragic.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My, aren't we a bunch of Christ-like saints, passing judgement on some grieving mother because hey, we read it on the Internet. None of you know even .05% of the real story, so maybe you should tend your own gardens, so to speak.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No matter what gender she portrayed herself at the end of her life, she was her son. I really don't see anything wrong with the message that she posted. It certainly doesn't sound like she hated her son for his transgenderedness. (Yes, I'm pretty sure that isn't a real word.)

"My sweet 16-year-old son, Joshua Ryan Alcorn, went home to Heaven this morning. He was out for an early morning walk and was hit by a truck. Thank you for the messages and kindness and concern you have sent our way. Please continue to keep us in your prayers."

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

If you'd like to read her thoughts, you can read them here...

Her Blog

I'll say again...any mother who feels the need to insult their child after they committed suicide doesn't deserve the title.

I'm definitely no saint, but as a mother this sickens me.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I don't think suicide is the answer. But I hate the anti-suicide phrases people are so quick to throw around.

No, it doesn't always get better. And no, problems are not always temporary.

It's best to strengthen one's character in the hand they are dealt with vs thinking the F'ed up world we live in is going to cater to them.

BTW .... I was suicidal in my early teens and made an actual attempt that I barley survived from at 14.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And she needs to look no further than that post as one reason why her 17 year old kid thought death was better than life.

Her words:

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

My mother would never lie about how I died. If it was something so unthinkable, she would just stay silent about how I died. For the mother to say she got hit by a truck, sounded like she was protecting her own interest of being embarrassed.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

She actually did get hit by a truck. She posted the suicide note on her blog and set it to appear at a time after she was already did.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Oh damn, should have clicked the link. :eek:

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

She was hit by a truck.

-------------------

I know this may come as a surprise to you, Moyank but not everyone accepts the LGBT lifestyle. That doesn't make them bad people, they just don't understand or accept it. This is that intolerance that I was mentioning. The LGBT community demands tolerance from everyone else but has not tolerance for those that disagree with them.