Another Trigger Happy Cop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AX338, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Another worthless cop that should be tried for murder but will only get a paid suspension. It's rather embarrassing to watch these idiots act like such rookies in these situations. They either need to hire better people or provide much better training.

But I'm sure it's only a few bad apples... /extreme sarcasm

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trying them for murder would focus minds.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This needs to happen.

And ban guns. But that is a whole new can of worms for the Americans it seems.

5. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Disgusting! that wheelchair video actually made me mad.

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Watched the video. The audio is muffled at the critical point, so I couldn't hear what was being said. I see it going two ways:

1. The cop told the guy at least a dozen times not to move. The victim ignored the orders and got out of the car and got shot for not listening to a man with a gun pointed at him.
    2. The cop told the guy to get out of the car and then shot him for complying.

I think #1 is most likely true. In which case, why the controversy?

7. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

maybe because he was unarmed?

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You realize that a quadriplegic man has paralyzed arms and legs, right? So how was he controlling the wheelchair? Was he really a quadriplegic?

The guy ran over the cop's foot, which no doubt pissed him off. The wheelchair and rider probably weighed in at several hundred pounds, a not inconsequential load to have rolling over your foot.

Did he do it deliberately? In the vid, he swung that chair around pretty recklessly given how close the cops were around him.

So the cop was angry and tried to dump the guy from his chair. That was wrong, but why is it in these videos that the victim does something rash and/or stupid to provoke the police?

----------

How's the cop supposed to know that? There was at least one gun in the glove box, there could have been one between the seats that the victim grabbed before exiting the car.

A cop tells you in a forceful voice not to move and you move, well, there'll be a Darwin award with your name on it given posthumously.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because a summary execution is not the appropriate punishment for not following a cop's orders.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Rather that than see another police officer gunned down. If the guy had stayed in the car as he was instructed to do by the officer with a drawn weapon, he'd still be alive. Sounds like the victim had control of the situation and blew it.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

My comments are taken from the article. However I would argue that quadripilegia denotes that the arms and legs are unable to move, yet their still may be some movement in the hands (which it does explain in the article if you'd care to read it). Additionally Stephen Hawkings is quadripilegic but still manages to control his computer and chair with his hand.

But obviously the wheelchair user is wrong, the police worldwide can do no wrong, and we'll add disabled people to the list of people in the world you disapprove of :p

I wonder if the copper went to hospital to get his foot checked out.

Edit: Googling it there's even a classification system for levels of quadripilegia including a class for reduced movement ability

A Complete no motor or sensory function is preserved in the sacral segments S4-S5.
    B Incomplete sensory but not motor function is preserved below the neurological level and includes the sacral segments S4-S5.
    C Incomplete motor function is preserved below the neurological level, and more than half of key muscles below the neurological level have a muscle grade less than 3.
    D Incomplete motor function is preserved below the neurological level, and at least half of key muscles below the neurological level have a muscle grade of 3 or more.
    E Normal motor and sensory function are normal.

12. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Are you serious?? Why would he fake it??

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

I said the cop was wrong for trying to dump the guy. Did you see that?

But, this is a shared blame situation. If the wheelchair dude hadn't provoked the cop by running over his foot, things wouldn't have gone wrong.

Probably not, he seemed to be moving without trouble. But I'll bet it smarted for a few minutes.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Only if you're black.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm not insinuating that he's faking, just that the story might be getting its facts wrong.

I've since learned that you can be a quadriplegic and move your hands.

----------

Ah, the race card. I believe the cop who shot your black victim was also black.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Actually cops sign up to do dangerous jobs. People too cowardly to accept any amount of risk and gunslinging bug-eyed at the slightest movement shouldn't be cops.

17. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Unarmed is irrelevant for any of these cases. It's all about if the person was a threat to the police. A person doesn't have to have a gun to be a threat.

With that said, getting out of the car and disobeying a command from a cop is not life threatening. It's cause for alarm, but the trigger happy cop jumped the gun (no pun) as usual.

----------

It doesn't help that they are brainwashed to believe everyone is out to murder them. While violent crime rates are at a 20 yr low, cop shootings are up. Go figure.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My Guess is that the system, District Attorney/Grand Jury System from a "public order" approach is stacked against this happening. It is either viewed as undermining the law enforcement element of government or as an inditement of government which on the law enforcement level, we can't have that happening although on a political level we shred government's reputation every day. Law enforcement seems to get a pass. :(

19. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You all who have never been in that situation could not understand. I admit I have never been in that situation myself, but I have a number of family members that are cops and the stories from them can be eye opening.

I recently found this which helps to explain the situation cops are put in when the suspect does not comply and/or becomes belligerent.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have no issues with cops other than I expect them to obey the law just like everone else, and operate within their official code of conduct. Cops are people, they are flawed, they have emotions, but I expect law enforcement to be held to a higher standard. It's not adequate to brush aside abuse and unnecessary life taking just because officers are under pressure. That should not give them a pass.

21. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

How about flash banging babies in a crib or choking someone to death?

22. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I've linked that same story here before. It's highly unlikely that it will sway any opinions held by the predisposed cop-haters.

23. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Maybe if the guy listened to the cop like the DRIVER did and put his hands up he would be alive. He clearly did not have his hands up and was not following the officers commands. There was a gun in the glove box which was know when the officers were telling them to put their hands up. The passenger could of had another gun concealed on him. As the officer gets the door open the passenger exits the vehicle and moves towards the officers direction. Still not following the officers orders. I certainly welcome the investigation into this but also certainly don't think the officer was trigger happy from this footage.

----------

And wearing a bulky jacket the cop knew that as the person sat in the car that he was unarmed? So cops have X-ray vision. :rolleyes: