Another typical Republican...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 26, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Seattle P-I

Wow. Is this guy a piece of work or what?

In another thread someone said that this type of behavior is much more typical of Republicans than of Democrats, and here that notion is proven again.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Sounds more like trying to de-throne a crime boss, especially when you're talking
    about the Texas political influence machine.

I suppose they do need to handle procedures in some proper manner, but
    how will they gather enough bi-partisan support to oust him?

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

They tried to elect another speaker earlier in the year, but failed; Craddick was a jerk then, and from what I can tell, has always been a jerk. Methinks that Craddick just wants to stay speaker long enough to enjoy the millions he spent renovating the apartment provided to him by the state.

Oh, and I must say that I love the Austin American-Statesman's headline for this: Mutiny in Texas House...:rolleyes:

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

How can someone be 'forced' to vote against their interests, or the interests of their constituents? I hardly believe he's standing over them forcing them to push buttons of his choice.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

If they don't bend to his wishes, he can make life much harder for them. The Speaker of the House, in Texas, wields a huge amount of power.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually that's a more thorough article than the one I posted. I like this part:

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Pot meet kettle. :p

But actually, I agree on point. He's more of a neocon. They're the despicable ones ruining their own party. Ron Paul is one of the few actual Republican/conservatives left, and look at how his own party treats him. Once again, I go to the "I'd be a Republican if only they would" as Bill Maher says. A real Republican would be ashamed at the way someone like this acted, as we can see they are here.

And if the TX Republicans are mad at this guy, that really tells you something.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

<quote>Democrats trying to overtake the speaker's podium were physically restrained by House sergeants-at-arms as they tried to grab the microphone.</quote>

Typical Democrats. :)

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not really. Since when do Dems actually fight for anything? ;) Maybe they're different in Texas. Everything's different in TX.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

OK, so the speaker has a lot of power, big deal, there's only one of him. If the republicans are upset enough with him to be complaining then they need to band together and stop him. Yes he can make their life difficult but with enough republicans against him they can effectively deadlock the legislature since you need a majority vote to pass anything.

This just shows they seem more concerned with keeping the party happy than with trying to represent the people which is one of the biggest problems with politics today.

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Last I heard, the Dems in Texas liked to run away
    :confused:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Still more than they do anywhere else. :p

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've watched the Texas lege since back in 1963. Craddick is worse than most about abuse of power, but all Speakers have pretty much been strict in party discipline. No different in the old daze when it was almost all Democrats. It's a matter of degree, not kind.

The power comes from control of committee assignments, and control as to whether or not one's pet bills ever get to a floor vote. If the speaker is hostile enough, a representative might as well go home.

But we halfway regularly get some strange creatures in the House. One speaker was "Bedroom Ben" Barnes, who made a dog's hind leg look like a straight-edge. Little Benjy made it to Lt. Gov. before finally disappearing into real estate and bankruptcy. He provided Molly Ivins with a ton of good material. :D

'Rat

17. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

"So far Bush has lost almost all our allies, the budget surplus, four airliners, two trade centers and New Orleans." -- paraphrase of Bill Maher

the best sig i have seen in long time!

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thanks. :) Here's Maher's original full quote. I just had to cut it down to fit the 150-character sig limit.