Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If anyone is using SoftRAID 5 (softraid.com) with JBOD enclosures or in a multi-drive cMacPro, they now do a trim enable for SSDs as well.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Looks like there's another utility to enable TRIM for non Apple SSDs. I presently use Cindori's Trim Enabler:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43656/chameleon-ssd-optimizer

Lou

That's been around for a while. I actually used that one first before buying Trim Enabler. Chameleon didn't work with Yosemite until this just released version. I may give it another look now that it has Yosemite support.

I would like to see Cindori add the NOATIME setting in Trim Enabler.

EDIT: Okay tried it out again. Works fine. I used it to turn on NOATIME. Still doesn't have option to notify on boot if Trim became disabled after software updates. I'll stick with Trim Enabler!

Last edited:

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
https://digitaldj.net/blog/2011/11/17/trim-enabler-for-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks/

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I would like to see Cindori add the NOATIME setting in Trim Enabler.

It's coming. And much more. I wish I could show what I'm working on. Pretty cool stuff. Stay tuned :D

If anyone is using SoftRAID 5 (softraid.com) with JBOD enclosures or in a multi-drive cMacPro, they now do a trim enable for SSDs as well.

Most of these apps just copy paste the Terminal command in Draeconis post, which can easily lead to bricking your system. But don't take my word for it, try using SoftRAID or Transcends JetDrive Toolbox on OS X Yosemite and I'm willing to bet you will end up with a kernel panic on boot. I've done extensive testing and worked out methods for ensuring that users won't end up like that using Trim Enabler.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's coming. And much more. I wish I could show what I'm working on. Pretty cool stuff. Stay tuned :D

Good to know. Loving TE as it is, but love to see added features. Thanks for a great product.

----------

https://digitaldj.net/blog/2011/11/17/trim-enabler-for-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks/

I'm not really sure what the point of this link is. Are you supporting Trim Enabler or slinging mud at it?

TE has been totally recodedd since this was originally posted and is absolutely safe and reliable. If Trim isn't working for you while using this tool, then I suggest it's more to do with the SSD rather than the application. It does nothing to compremise your OS or hardware. The state of 3dr party SSD use with OSX would be a big bag of HURT without TE & Chameleon.

----------

I've done extensive testing and worked out methods for ensuring that users won't end up like that using Trim Enabler.

And that's why I support your efforts. I have confidence in the reliability and enjoy the feature set, and timely updates.

gochi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
thanks but i didn't really notice significant jumps in performance when using trim enabler.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
thanks but i didn't really notice significant jumps in performance when using trim enabler.

You generally won't notice giant leaps unless you have used the SSD for a while and deleted many files on a regular basis, and/or when the SSD gets pretty full. At least that's my understanding. It's not meant in enhance native performance, but rather prevent performance degradation that's inhereant with SSD use.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

Most of these apps just copy paste the Terminal command in Draeconis post, which can easily lead to bricking your system. But don't take my word for it, try using SoftRAID or Transcends JetDrive Toolbox on OS X Yosemite and I'm willing to bet you will end up with a kernel panic on boot. I've done extensive testing and worked out methods for ensuring that users won't end up like that using Trim Enabler.

Haha ... yeah, I simply noticed it "offered" to enable Trim when I did the last upgrade. However I ignored the offer, and used TrimEnabler as always. Thanks for your hard work and great product Cindori! :cool:

gochi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
You generally won't notice giant leaps unless you have used the SSD for a while and deleted many files on a regular basis, and/or when the SSD gets pretty full. At least that's my understanding. It's not meant in enhance native performance, but rather prevent performance degradation that's inhereant with SSD use.

hmm that makes sense. trimming ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.