Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
I think this tatic is better for if you really do want to leave AT&T for another carrier, not to just go and open another AT&T account. I don't know if they have things built in keep you from opening another account right away or not, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this just to get $200 off my iPhone.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
yes...they require a certain amount of time before you can open a new account (this is what i was told by att employees)

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I honestly do not understand all these post about this.... YOU SIGNED A CONTRACT... You knew what you were getting your self into. I just think all of these ways out of the contract just because you can't wait is asinine.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I think this tatic is better for if you really do want to leave AT&T for another carrier, not to just go and open another AT&T account. I don't know if they have things built in keep you from opening another account right away or not, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this just to get $200 off my iPhone.

Same here. I just sold my 3G, so I'll put that money toward my 3GS.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I honestly do not understand all these post about this.... YOU SIGNED A CONTRACT... You knew what you were getting your self into. I just think all of these ways out of the contract just because you can't wait is asinine.

hardly

i signed a contract at the terms at the time. if they change it, its something i didnt agree to and have every right to get out of it

personally, i dont want a 3gs, i just want to stop overpaying for my phone

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
hardly

i signed a contract at the terms at the time. if they change it, its something i didnt agree to and have every right to get out of it

Well people who were going to cancel their contract because of the 411 are dumb because who uses 411 on their iphone when you can just tap google maps.. and the change in the privacy statement probably just means a new policy or change on how they do a certain task. not saying we are going to charge you more!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
hardly

You certainly do have every right to get out of your contract. Just as AT&T has every right to refuse to re-sign you to a new contract.

That's easy -- get one of those phones that's free after the subsidy. No one's forcing you to get an iPhone... are they? :confused:

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

I don't like the 3G S whiners either but contract term changes can be fantastic. What if coverage has become a problem, or you've had a bad experience with the company and don't want to give them your money anymore or if your usage patterns have changed and you know there's other contracts that are better for you?

The contract change itself could also be a pain in the arse.

I got out a contract early last year for all those reasons.

abarna21

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
I don't know if all the fuss make sense. When you go back to AT&T you'll have to pay activation fee and the prorated charges and all that jazz and in the end you'll spend more money and more time for what? $200.......:confused:
Now you decide....

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I wonder if you can add another line get a subsidized phone cancel after 30 days due to policy changes and get and just end up paying 299+90.00 for the first months bill.

abarna21

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
I wonder if you can add another line get a subsidized phone cancel after 30 days due to policy changes and get and just end up paying 299+90.00 for the first months bill.

and you save $99. If possible.....

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
No, what's asinine is the way people keep saying "you signed a contract" as if it ends the discussion. It is entirely debatable whether a non-negotiable contract that one party can rewrite at its whim should be enforceable. I don't like the 3GS upgrade whiners either, but this contract objection is just weak.
Too bad you didn't read the Private Policy when you got your phone. They are always subject to change.
Yes, because then he/she could have negotiated a better privacy policy. Oh wait, it's a contract of adhesion, so the only recourse is to walk away. Good thing there are other providers of the iPhone. Oh wait, there AREN'T any other providers of the iPhone, so your only alternatives are phones you don't want. Good thing this is an efficient market where cell phone providers at least compete by offering favorable terms like privacy policies that can't be changed on a whim. Oh wait, there AREN'T any providers with such protections, so your only alternative is to NOT OWN A CELL PHONE. Give me a break!

ncfuser

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Does the 411 or Privacy change enable me to get out of my 2 year contract but stay with AT&T and go month to month? I have no need to upgrade to 3GS, but would like not to have a contract tied to my account.

Thanks

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
They're subject to change but the policies also say you have the right to get out of your contract IF they ever do change. This should work if anyone wants to get out of their contract, but I recommend doing it if you want to go to another carrier as well...

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
again .. what do i need to say about this to get out of it/????

LOL what you need to do is go to an ATT store and be honest tell them what you want! Say I want an iPhone 3Gs on launch day and I want to pay 199/299 16gb/32gb.. What can you do for me.... believe me they respond better to that than,, you charged me .20 more on 411 I want to cancel and reactivate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.