Another way to get free space on new mac other than reinstalling OS 10?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XheartcoreboyX, Jul 23, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

So,i heared that people reinstall the OS once they get their new MAC to have some free space because apple installs trials and extra languages....so if i didnt reinstall it...and put all my 60GB files from my pc..can i still delete the extra languages and all the trials later??? to save spacce just like if i reinstalled the OS???!!

the reason that im not going to reinstall the OS is that it will be my first MAC ever and want to try the trials and i need more than English on my computer..

any answer related would be just awesome :rolleyes:

2. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Actually reinstalling from your OS X discs is what puts junk on your drive. Sure it reformats and makes it clean and neat but languages abound when you reinstall. There are two utilities I have used delocalizer and multilingual that remove extra languages from your drive. I used delocalizer last night and got almost three gigs back. Delocalizer is no longer supported but it works for me on 10.4.10. You can remove any demo installers for more space. What I like to do is remove any pal items from DVD Studio pro, and Motion for gigs of space. I also uninstall programs I know I won't use like the Omni stuff that comes with the computer. I say uninstall instead of just dragging to the trash to get all the stuff associated with the programs I don't want. There are some free uninstalling apps in addition to paid ones like Appzapper.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It should be noted that the notorious disk space eaters that are localized languages and printer drivers can be unchecked prior to the installation process, therebyy not installing them during a reinstall.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Just get a hard drive that's big enough for all your files, then. ;)

5. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i will put that in mind =D,i will just use it and see what programmes i dont need and then ''uninstall'' them..do you recommend any freeware/shareware for that?!
    well thats exciting..the printers drivers!
    well all im getting is the 120gb comes with the 2.2 mbp..all i have in my current 100gb HDD is 60 gig only!!!
    lets say im going to install pararells and win xp on it..MAX i will lose like umm 10 gig?! so i still have 50gb for more multimedia and other programmes..
    so the 120gig is just fine :)

6. andrewt1187 macrumors member

I freed up 10+GB getting rid of Garageband + loops; iDVD + themes; printer drivers; unneeded languages. I did not do a reinstall.

Use 'WhatSize' to find those pesky large folders.

7. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

thanks, i think i will use that programme once i get my mbp,it looks useful.

8. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Except for Microsoft Word and iWork, the applications that come with a mac are not trials but actual, and very good, programs. Take apfhex's advice and get a HD that is big enough for your needs. Next explore the iLife applications. You can get rid of the ones you don't use. Programs like Monolingual will let you selectively remove languages (and you can't possibly speak all of them). Also remove the printer drivers for printers you don't have. All of this is on the install disk so that if you need some of this in the future you still have it.

10. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

THANKS!! this is what exactly i need!!! =D
    i really dont need a big HD,i will uninstall iwork whole thing and Evil ms office crap for sure and use monolingual.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Huh? :confused:

12. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

whattttttttttt??????????

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

dejo, I think your response lacked the proper amount of punctuation. ;)

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It just seems incongruous that if you need more than English on your computer (implying multiple languages), running Monolingual (implying a single language) would be the exact solution you need..........

15. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Well I'm sure he doesn't need every language included with the OS, so he might as well remove the ones he won't be using.

16. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Thanks this is true, i will just need arabic and english..so every other language will be deleted..so that will save lots of space =D

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Custom order your MBP with a 160GB or 200GB.

The 160 only sets you back an extra 75, and the 200GB costs 175.

I'd only get the 160, I mean, anymore money than that you're better off pulling out the 120GB and buying the bigger drive yourself, then selling off the 120GB.