Another wifi bug/issue, but a little different...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I have had some of the wifi issues, mostly solved by getting a newer, better router. I now have good range and connectivity in and around my house.

Here's the odd thing.

My home network is a 30 Mbps plan. My IP5 pretty consistently gets 33 Mbps in speedtests. Web pages load very fast, and Internet browsing is generally very quick.

But, there are certain types of downloads the phone should blow through in the blink of an eye, for example approx. 400-800 kb photos I have links to on my website, but when I click on the hyperlink to the photo, this phone, which is pulling 33mbps and is very quick everywhere else, loads these less than 1mb photos slower than it should.

How do I know? Because if I turn wifi off and use my lowly 4-5 Mbps "4g" att connection, a connection that's consistently 25-28 Mbps SLOWER than my wifi, it loads these pics 3-5 times faster. I've tested it many times, and it's clear, while I have a fast 33 Mbps connection with my phone on wifi, and it really is, it blazes through the speedtest and loads normal pages super quick, when trying to DL a single file of approx. 500 kb, it's not nearly as fast as it should be at 33 Mbps, and in fact, far slower than the 4-5 Mbps hspa+ connection. That makes no sense.

I can see how fast the wifi throughput is in 90% of my Internet usage, but, when trying to DL certain files, like a 500 kb photo, it has trouble, and can't come close to anything like a 33 Mbps connection can and should. Yet, switch to 4-5 Mbps hspa and it's faster. And still, the wifi connection blazes through speedtests at a very consistent 33 Mbps to the hspa's 4-5, and loads complex web pages very fast.

It's as if it has the speed but can't convert it into downloading the larger files, yet it can still blaze through loading web pages and speedtests just like a 33mbps connection should.

Any ideas?

2. darster Suspended

How about when you click on the link on your computer using wifi? Is it just as slow as the iphone? Trying to determine whether it is a router problem, isp issue, or phone. Also try clicking on link using a different browser on iphone, such as chrome.

3. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not a bad idea, but my laptops open the pics very fast. As does my iPhone if connected to hspa 4g, only on wifi does the phone download the photos slowly, and yet, it opens web pages (pages without large photos), very fast, gets a full 33 Mbps on every speedtest, but when it has to use wifi to download anything that has some size to it, like a hi-res photo, it gets slow.

I have heard people complaining of their 5's having trouble downloading large files, slow app downloads, or buffering more than normal, I would think that's pretty similar to what I'm seeing.

It's like it does have a very fast connection, in my case, 33 Mbps, but it's not using it.

I'm hopeful 6.0.1 will fix this. If not, I might have to exchange my phone. It's kind of aggravating to have a 33 Mbps connection, and see photos download at 30% the speed of my mediocre hspa cellular connection.

4. DJ.Nickk macrumors regular

DJ.Nickk

because 500KB is such a small size the Handshake from mobile to router from router to the internet is "bigger than 500kb" so its expected to not load ultra fast you will notice it on bigger files 1MB Plus

5. darster Suspended

It could be safari browser on your phone. Download chrome on your iphone and see if it is still slow. The new version of safari on my imac seems slower than Chrome or Firefox. Safari downloads the image completely before it actually displays it.