iPhone 11 Pro Another year and Apple still doesn’t utilize the Max size screen to its fullest

dragon4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
It’s quite disappointing to say the least. The larger phones should have more features like split screen and multitasking. It will probably remain this way for the foreseeable future given Apple’s track record. There is no differentiating factor between the larger display vs the smaller display. They used to have landscape mode then removed that feature. Why? What’s the incentive of having a larger screen other than more real estate that’s not even properly utilized?
[doublepost=1568424694][/doublepost]Apple could probably add all these features in a software update if they want to since none of those things are hardware related.

Reactions: yaboid01

dweb619

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
WV USA!!!
I’m a max user, and I agree with you. You’re right. It would just be an OS update, but then you move into iPadOS territory even though they are the same OS Apple seems to be leaving that to truly larger screens.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Multitasking, sure, very cool. But, what is the practicality of having split screen on a device that has very Small screen to begin with? Barely see Anything in Safari and notes app? Nope. I would still prefer Truly large screens like iPad and even Mac for that matter. Apple leaves out large screen feature on Max size phone probably because the experience is bad.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
It’s quite disappointing to say the least. The larger phones should have more features like split screen and multitasking. It will probably remain this way for the foreseeable future given Apple’s track record. There is no differentiating factor between the larger display vs the smaller display. They used to have landscape mode then removed that feature. Why? What’s the incentive of having a larger screen other than more real estate that’s not even properly utilized?
[doublepost=1568424694][/doublepost]Apple could probably add all these features in a software update if they want to since none of those things are hardware related.
Wait for iOS 17. It’s coming. Patience buddy

Reactions: timeconsumer

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
Apple will probably bring split screen, Pencil support, and other features to iPhone 12 with 6.7" display

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Multitasking, sure, very cool. But, what is the practicality of having split screen on a device that has very Small screen to begin with? Barely see Anything in Safari and notes app? Nope. I would still prefer Truly large screens like iPad and even Mac for that matter. Apple leaves out large screen feature on Max size phone probably because the experience is bad.
A had a galaxy s3 back in 2012 that had split screen and it came in handy. There’s really no excuse for the newest iPhones not to have it.

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I would like to be able to activate CarPlay directly on my device in landscape mode. That would be really useful as my phone is my satnav and music jukebox whilst driving, but my car’s headunit doesn’t support it (and is one of those manufacturer specific units you can’t economically replace).

You could even do that with a non-Max device, I guess.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I use to like landscape mode on my 8+
My guess they removed it on the Xs Max is due to the notch

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
By landscape mode you mean for the home screen? I hadn’t thought about that. I don’t use a Max myself but I thought it still had landscape within apps, like the two-pane view for reminders, mail, messages, etc?

One thing I’d really like to see on any of these iPhones is picture in picture like the iPad has (or whatever its called).