Answer iPhone through desktop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackbones, Apr 2, 2009.

1. blackbones macrumors member

Is there an application that will allow one, while the iphone is docked, to answer the phone though the computer via headphones and some sort of microphone?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. If so, why not?

2. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Why not?

Because you haven't made it yet, so get to work and let us know how it goes.;)

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think because the current SDK doesn't allow apps to access the USB connector. Might become possible with 3.0, though, maybe through a specialized dock.

4. Justen macrumors member

I would say that it is definately possible, but I have not heard of anyone doing it, or this kind of thing is out. It is probably also able to do it over your computer's bluetooth as well.

5. blackbones thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, maybe with 3.0 something will come out.

I tend to dock my phone whenever I'm working, and as I usually use headphones it would be very convenient to be able to do something like this.

6. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

That would be pretty cool.. I wish I knew how to code or I would make the app myself.. Come on apple PLEASE GET THIS TO WORK..

This is how I see it working for me...,,, I am sitting here typing this now and surfing the web, my phone is on the coffee table about 6ft away.. Have your Iphone connected to your computer via bluetooth.. The phone rings, instead of me having to get up and take it out of the clip I have to see who's calling, have a little window about the size of and ichat window with the name and phone number of who is calling.. If you want to answer the call press spacebar or (whatever key you set for your answering keystroke).. Then your connected through an ichat type window but it's a live call through your bluetooth.. Then you can still surf the web and finish what you need to do while still on the phone.. My MBP has a built-in mic so it would work perfect for me.. :D:D

James

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

One of these days, one of these days... Also a way to text people while it's plugged in

8. kage207 macrumors 6502a

That's not a bad idea.

While thinking about it, I don't think you can do it just yet. I see this becoming possible in 3.0 like someone stated.

Also, I'd like to see more uses in BlueTooth besides just connecting a device for a mouse...

I think you would also need to program something on the computer end, not just the phone end. But I'd like to see how efficient they could make it too. I wonder if it would lag at all.

EDIT: And you might be able to do this... Through WiFi actually now to think of it. Cause of AirPhones? And AirMouse? You know? They use WiFi... I know for AirMouse you just need to have the AirMouse app running on your computer and for your phone to find it. So... I think it's possible.

9. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I would put a program on the MBP for this to work.. Hmmmm maybe they could call it Apple Talk or something.. I don't care what they call it as long as it works.... Would be nice to see if they could ever come up with it...

James

10. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

You can use bluephoneelite to do this.
    That's what I use.

You can't send SMS from it as Apple hasn't provided the framework for it, but you can answer and speak directly into your mac which acts as a bluetooth headset.

You can also see you battery and signal strength.

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Is it me or I don't know how to do this? Cause my MB and my phone are paired but they aren't connected because there is some issue?

12. doobi18 macrumors 6502

VNC :)

13. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I can't remember if Tiger would let you do this. 10.4.X had built in bluetooth, and I know you could send messages easily from address book. I also thought that if someone called it came up on screen... my memory is foggy though.

Implementing this through bluetooth would be amazing.

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

yes its called a Griffin Smart Talk

[​IMG]

15. mah0727 macrumors newbie

Macbook speakers as bluetooth speak

Since the 3.0 firmware is going to support ad2p do you think there would be any way you could play music wireless through your macbook using the ad2p feature? this would be nice to use with airfoil.

16. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Apple needs to build this into ichat. you could have AIM, BONJOUR, JABBER and now iPhone. It would be it's own list of contacts and only work with voice chat (except of course if you have the new video chat iphone in which case you can do video also.)

17. seysearles macrumors newbie

bump Feb 2012.

Did this end up going anywhere?

18. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Why not just connect your headphone to the headphone jack on your iphone while it's docked and call, or just get a bluetooth headset. You can still dock the phone and make a phone call and still be on the computer.