Antenna reception better on iPhone 5?

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
So I'm still debating whether or not to trade up to iPhone 5. I was definitely going to switch to Verizon and get the 5 but then found out there is still no simultaneous voice/data offered with Verizon iPhone 5 which is a dealbreaker for me. My reception on my ATT 4s, while better than the 4 which preceded it, is not great and I experience many dropped calls in my home and area. I was wondering if anyone has experienced superior reception since switching from 4s to 5?

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
So I'm still debating whether or not to trade up to iPhone 5. I was definitely going to switch to Verizon and get the 5 but then found out there is still no simultaneous voice/data offered with Verizon iPhone 5 which is a dealbreaker for me. My reception on my ATT 4s, while better than the 4 which preceded it, is not great and I experience many dropped calls in my home and area. I was wondering if anyone has experienced superior reception since switching from 4s to 5?
If your coverage is not that great, I don't even know why you stay with AT&T. Switch to Verizon, and get coverage that works for you. Your first priority is if you have good service, if you do then everything else is a bonus. If not, switch companies.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
On average comparing 4S to 5 in field test mode the 5 gets similar reception to 4S. The 5 sometimes is 1 DB better.

I would recommend getting the AT&T micro cell to help improve reception in your home. I have one and can use the phone in my home.

In my area Monterey Park, CA Verizon & AT&T have poor reception. The leader here is T-Mobile & Sprint

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the input. My reception is not great but it's not terrible either. I really do use the simultaneous voice/data feature a lot and was waiting for LTE on Verizon to enable this feature but it still isn't available so I think I'm going to stay with ATT. I just thought I had read before release that the new model had an improved antenna so I thought I would ask for early adopters' opinions on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.