Antennagate 2.0? Iphone 4S dropouts on data and voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flitter, Dec 6, 2011.

1. flitter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Everyone I know with a 4S is having dropouts with their phones and there seems to be very little discussion about this on the forums ... does anyone else have a situation that the phone seems to lose (dropout) data coverage yet retain voice, then drop voice and reconnect to the cellular network?

Has anyone found a fix?

I'm running SignalAlert overnight at the moment and even sitting in the cradle with 5 bars of real good (8Mbit/sec download speed) i've had 3 dropouts overnight.

Is it specific to Telstra and Vodafone (Australia)?

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone had a fix?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Their's a reason for that, because this issue is either non existent or only affects a very small group of people.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've noticed that my 4S sometimes takes longer than my 4 did to get bars when I leave an elevator or come back from the basement

4. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

My first 4S dropped a lot of calls for some weird reason but I took it to Apple and got a new one and my new 4S rarely drops calls, actually I don't think it has dropped a call yet.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

not a single issue with my 4s, haven't had a dropped call at all.

Plus Antennagate 2.0 sounds like you're still having problems with a certain way you hold your phone and then it dropping calls. Sounds like you just have bad service.

6. oGu macrumors member

My 4S is amazing when it comes to call quality. I have good signal in places that I didnt have any reception with my galaxy S 2 or my iphone 4.
    Antenagate 2.0 is bogus.

7. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

this thread should be deleted immediately.

Just don't feed his ego anymore. he had one post back in April 2008, then one now trying to "coin a phrase", waste of a thread

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Keep saying "-gate," it's certainly not ridiculous or overused.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As stated above that's because it's not a common issue. If everyone you know with a 4S is having this problem then what's common to all of them? Start with that rather than trying to make a broad, sweeping generalization about "Antennagate".

10. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

I consistently drop 3-5 bars on my 4S. Tested on other iPhone 4Ss and it seems to only happen with T-Mobile.

-SGD

11. flitter thread starter macrumors newbie

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I had no issues with bars. Still get dropped calls though. It may be wishful thinking, but it's better than it was with my 4. I have had two dropped calls since I've had it (since launch). I talk about an hour or two a day. Would have had 4-8 with the 4 by now.

13. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

It's only happened a couple of times but I have dropped calls with 2 bars of signal. Only thing I can think of is that the iPhone's definition of "1 bar" of signal is smaller than other phones' definition.

So 4 bars on an iPhone might = 2 or 3 bars on another phone. :confused::confused:

14. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Sounds like its just in your area hence why all the people you know have similar issues? I haven't had any drop outs and from online consensus the reception & drop rate is actually better on the 4S now.