Antennagate?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Okay, so I was just wondering why my iPhone 5 is getting worse signal in some areas than before. I know Apple supposedly redesigned the antenna for the 4S, and there weren't many issues with that phone, but this phone seems more sensitive than my 4. If I hold the phone in a totally normal grip I am consistently losing 2-3 bars.

Try holding the phone with one hand like you normally do, wait for about 25 seconds (often it'll drop well before then) and then see any change in bars. Then let go and put it on any surface, the bars come back almost immediately.

I can't find a way to hold this phone so that I don't lose at least 1 bar.

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
LTE or 3G?

LTE is still being rolled out and so its quite possible that coverage is lacking in your area for LTE coverage.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Okay, so I was just wondering why my iPhone 5 is getting worse signal in some areas than before. I know Apple supposedly redesigned the antenna for the 4S, and there weren't many issues with that phone, but this phone seems more sensitive than my 4. If I hold the phone in a totally normal grip I am consistently losing 2-3 bars.

Try holding the phone with one hand like you normally do, wait for about 25 seconds (often it'll drop well before then) and then see any change in bars. Then let go and put it on any surface, the bars come back almost immediately.

I can't find a way to hold this phone so that I don't lose at least 1 bar.
It is one of the reasons I use a thin shell/case. I see no drop when I pick up my phone.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
LTE or 3G?

LTE is still being rolled out and so its quite possible that coverage is lacking in your area for LTE coverage.
It's regardless of the service, it's happening right now with AT&T 4G. If I don't hold it I constantly have 3 bars, whenever I pick it up I go down to 1.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
My i5 gets abetted signal in my house compared to my 4. My 4 was always at 1-2 bars inside. My i5 has 4-5 bars. First thing I noticed on my i5 :eek:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
My i5 gets abetted signal in my house compared to my 4. My 4 was always at 1-2 bars inside. My i5 has 4-5 bars. First thing I noticed on my i5 :eek:
Great, but that wasn't really the point. I'm wondering if, when you hold it, you experience significant signal degradation.

patternmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
There are few videos on Youtube which show that there is some kind of signal problem in iPhone 5 if you touch the whole backplate of the phone with your hand:

http://youtu.be/aPVrlHwRcwk

http://youtu.be/d0rv2qlSzL8

I tried the same the guy did in the video with my Nokia N9 and it didn't have that signal problem no matter how I held it.

I don't know how widespread this is.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
i dont have that problem at all and i have two.
Okay good. I'm finding that I'll lose 2 bars initially, but then 1 bar will come back. So I do lose 1 bar whenever I hold it, is this the case for you?

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Okay good. I'm finding that I'll lose 2 bars initially, but then 1 bar will come back. So I do lose 1 bar whenever I hold it, is this the case for you?
no i dont. the way i hold it to make a call i dont lose any. Maybe if i covered the entire phone but who really does that.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Great, but that wasn't really the point. I'm wondering if, when you hold it, you experience significant signal degradation.
You think he makes calls while levitating the phone in the air next to his ear?

He's obviously HOLDING IT, when he makes calls.