Anti–Gay Bigots Have So Many Gay Friends

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Dec 19, 2008.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

From The Stranger
    by Dan Savage

And now Rick Warren is claiming that he can't possibly be homophobic because, hey, he's got gay friends! Heck, he's even eaten in gay homes!

Okay, Rick, you say you've got gay friends—prove it.

Because as we all know it's not acceptable to be homophobic, but in their wacky minds it's okay to express their homophobic views/actions as long as they say they have gay friends.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks for posting this. I love Dan Savage. Yep- Rick Warren says he has gay friends, but still wants to discriminate against them. But he's not anti-gay or anything. This is as offensive as when white people said the very same things about blacks, and I'm getting a bit sick of it.

I'd like to meet some of these gay friends too.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What I find is that on the Internet, anyone arguing against something always points out how they know the other side somehow, whether it being racist but it ok since I have friends that at black or anti-gay but it's cool because I have gay friends or claiming to be an expert in the field or that you did live in the middle east (for like a month or so lol) when talking about cultural differences , or religion, the list goes on.

I just hate how people try to give themselves "credibility" by playing one of those or related scenarios. Utter pathetic.

I'd be willing to bet that when people make these claims, they are just making it up/lying

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I stand by this:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would say you're probably right. I tend not to believe those people who make such assertions.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I bet you would, you minx!

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm actually kind of seeing somebody right now. But hey- ya never know. ;)

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

This is brilliant. Every time one of these topics come up in PRSI, leekohler complains for about 2-4 posts, then he gets flirtatious because some guy said something. :D

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Some of my best friends are Republicans ...

Well, actually, come to think of it, none of them are.

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

Feel free to discriminate against republicans, but you'll have no defense if you're not able to say 'yeah, but my friend is a republican ergo I'm not a republicanist'.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey! Es started it, not me. ;)

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

13. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    There's a strange area that I'm looking at. In my head, there is a stark difference between a "BIGOT" and someone who is woefully "IGNORANT" and has preconceived notions about certain types of people that represent an unexposed dichotomy in an fair character. Recently Melissa Etheridge posted an article on the Huffington Post, reaching out to Warren. She wrote:
    As I read on another forum, this flies in the face of what Warren apparently confirmed in an interview with Beliefnet. The interview was highlighted in a Time Magazine article this week.
    This revelation left me in a pickle. Personally, I feel empathy for Warren's background, in that many people are similarly afflicted with blinders snapped in by years and years in an "echo chamber" of people trying to balance denying the "sins" of sexuality with basic human nature. Usually they veer towards comparing gay marriage to polygamy, noting that the very institution of marriage is weakened by expanding the definition. But, for Warren to willfully make his comparisons and push them on a number of occasions seems to warrant more than a singular apology (if, in fact, he misspoke), but a veritable sermon recalibrating exactly what his stance is on agreeing to disagree with the concept (and how two consenting adults do not equate to pedophilia).

It sounds like Warren is guilty of cavalierly using the "all sins are the same in the eyes of God" explanation to join incest, pedophilia and homosexuality at the hip. I get the impression that the more conversations he has outside of the echo chamber... the more he'll realize he's engaged in a very despicable form of equivocation... one that affects lives and stirs hatred. It reminds me of Bill O'Reilly's "echo chamber", when he really learned about blacks for the first time.
    A "bigot" is someone who knows they HATE you and will ignore you and undermine you at every stance. Someone who is simply "ignorant" and "prejudiced" is different, although they might be worst. At least a bigot understands the context of their feelings, while being unapologetic. Someone who is simply "ignorant" may never know the damage they cause, and engage it their activities with every good intention.

~ CB

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gah, I've never liked that saying. There was a kid at our school who used to be racist, but whenever kids would be offended he'd say "but my cousin married a black man". :rolleyes: