Anti-Abortion Display Destroyed by Angry Ohio Student

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Apr 6, 2013.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm on her side. And judging by her headscarf she's a woman of faith, so her pro-choiceness is even more appreciated. Do you guys think she went about this in the right way? Probably not. But those signs with dead fetuses on them tend to enrage people, and doesn't help the anti-choice crowd.

Article

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Oh, dear...here we go.

Twenty-seven pages of useless arguments which will not change anyone's mind either way.

And let the futility begin...

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Isn't that usually how a discussion forum works? Makes you wonder why some people spend so much time on them...

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I never understand people who wonder why others discuss and debate issues on internet forums.

Hint ... because we like to.

If you don't wish to participate, then please don't click the thread link.

Back to the topic ...

Even as a staunch advocate of choice, I don't believe the woman should have touched that display. Destruction of other people's property is wrong no matter what side of the debate you're on.

Pretty simple rule to live by.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I think I have a different definition, or set of standards, of what "discuss and debate" should be.

But you are right...I missed a perfect opportunity to keep my mouth shut.:eek:

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Religious headscarf... or an ugly hoodie? I'll go with the latter.

Stupid way of going about things and she sure looks like a fool as well. Then again, the right thing to do - allow the materials to stand and try and engage in a constructive dialogue between the two ideologies - pretty much never happens, so *shrug*.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Sometimes both sides can get very offensive in trying to prove a point. Nobody wants to see a dead fetus, especially any women whom has went through an abortion or miscarriage. But I have a feeling she would have done what she did regardless of the actual content, which I feel is wrong.

8. ucfgrad93, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. She had no right to destroy someone else's property and should face charges for doing so.

So, OP if you are on her side for destroying the fetus pictures, how do you feel about the woman who destroyed an art display because of offensive comments about Jesus?

http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/s...-destroys-xxx-jesus-art-in-a-colorado-museum/

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like most things in life, there's a lot of noise and the occasional nugget.

Life can't be all nuggets.

----------

Even though facing charges seems a little harsh for a public tantrum, I guess there's no better solution.

I wouldn't arrest her. I'd write her a ticket or something like that.

She should also pay for the cost of replacing the signs, if they were no longer usable.

Oh ... and IMO, that's just a head scarf.

For styles, not faith.

10. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Well, at least she doesn't go around killing people like Anti-Abortionists do frequently :)

She shouldn't go around destroying other property - the anti abortionists have a right to protest too - in a peacefully manor.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that she should face vandalism charges. Pay a minor fine, plus the cost to replace the signs.

----------

While I don't think that it happens frequently, I agree that doing that is wrong. Which is why I linked to the article I did. It was a similar case, and I wanted to see if the OP would think that it was ok to destroy some property because of religious beliefs since he felt the girl in the original link was right in destroying the dead fetus signs.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think the anti-abortionist should look into purchasing some A-Frame signs. It will hold up better against wind, rain and the occasional tantrum thrower. And the handles make carrying more convenient. It also lends a more professional look to your demonstration.

[​IMG]

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Irony? Dry wit? Sarcasm?

Well played just the same.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Truth?

Abortion providers have been harassed, attacked and murdered.

Clinics have been vandalized, shot at and bombed.

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

And on the other side of the coin, millions of human embryos/fetuses have been killed as well.

Not to justify any violence that the anti-abortionists commit, but I think that's the irony in the statement.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

One is legal.

The other is not.

I miss the irony.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Once someone is 100% convinced that abortion == murder, legality becomes mute.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I made no comments on legality, only on the fact that there is killing on both sides of this issue.

I just noticed the irony in the statement: "Well, at least she doesn't go around killing people like Anti-Abortionists do frequently :)"

Especially when killings by anti-abortionists are very infrequent, when compared to the killing done in abortion clinics.

Again, just so there's no confusion, I am not making any comment on legality, nor am I claiming that Shootigs, Bombings, or any other form of violence against abortion clinics and their staff/patrons is justifiable.

I just find it ironic that someone can make a comment like that when they know full well what an abortion entails.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And sanity goes out the window.

This incident is just karma. Karma for trying to control other people's lives and personal decisions.

Pretty tame if all they did is destroy a sign too. Too many times I've heard "Pro-life" people who have attacked and hurt or killed people at clinics for making their own private and personal decisions.

20. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Karma? Sure if you mean the chick in the hoody is further away from moksha.

In more earthly terms all I saw was an attack on free speech and destruction of property.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, but unlike the people that work at abortion clinics, the human embryos/fetuses that have been "killed" were accidents in the first place.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Strong argument! :rolleyes:

23. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's unconstitutional for the government to forbid abortion (Roe v. Wade).

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Your point? Again, I've never argued to the contrary...

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And if abortion is murder, then doesn't the same go for morning-after pills? They serve to abort pregnancy, don't they?