Anti-abortion people getting all racial now.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Feb 23, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Some people will just do anything to get attention. Hey, it works, right?

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's clumsy and in poor taste, but I'm not sure it's racist. I'm sure plenty of people will find it offensive. The people responsible for it make no secret of their intent to be inflammatory.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The ad works because we are talking about it. I'm sure if Asians or Caucasian people had a 59% abortion rate the ad would target those groups.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you read the article yourself, you will see that the head of the organisation which put it up is an African-American.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well in that case, it's just stupid,

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

From the figures supplied, you could argue that it is just informative.

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, but its ridiculous to tell black people not to get abortions just because they are stopping a black person from existing. They're trying to stop someone who may not be able to care for a child from getting an abortion by tugging on their heartstrings and playing the race card.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a black person pointing out the huge number of abortions being performed on black women. Abortion should surely not be a routine alternative to contraception, whatever you think of the procedure.

10. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I like the billboard.

If the supplied data is correct and African Americans are having the most abortions in the area than I feel that the billboard is effective in its message.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's actually rather restrained, as anti-abortion posters go.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The 'revenge of the cradle' has been tried before, in Quebec, after the English victory at The Plains of Abraham.

Didn't work then, won't work now. People have minds of their own.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps you should provide footnotes, or even a translation.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

15. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I fully agree with that, but then in that case maybe they should be pushing contraception in the black community. Unfortunately, the pro-life crowd are usually also the same people who are against sex education and contraception.

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

If you think the SHOCKING part of this story is the ad, you've got your priorities WAY screwed up.

A very good ad. I like it. Not remotely racist... except to people who don't know what 'racism' really is.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Uncle Tom indeed. Who here has Jesse Jackson on speed dial?

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

All I will say to this effect is what I've said before.. One really does not know what racism is, until they have been a victim of it. And I doubt a lot of Caucasians have been victims of it, especially when they scream of 'reverse racism', which doesn't exist.

That being said, the ad is in VERY POOR TASTE. Forget the abortion side of things; this ad insinuates that Black parents do not know how to care for their children before they are born, that they are the most susceptible to termination (whether by abortion, miscarriage, or other means), and have no respect for themselves or the child they are bringing into this world.

As the son of a Black woman, and seeing my aunts and cousins bear children, I safely call bollocks on the ad. That is a damn fool ad to put in public, and does nothing to lift the spirits of anyone Black, especially any Black women, ESPECIALLY in Black History Month.

Very poor taste, tactless, and disrespectful.

BL.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Blacks having a 59% abortion rate is highly likely to be down to poor education.

Maybe the anti-abortion activists should be educating black people about contraception - that would do far more to achieve their goals.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

So reverse racism doesn't exist? When black girls get beaten up by family members for breaking the taboo of having a white boyfriend, and it's not racism, what do you call it then? 'Eugenics' or 'preservation of culture'?

I think a white father would call it 'security precautions' if he had gone as far as to beat up his daughter for having a black boyfriend, while you and your friends probably would call that racism.

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Apparently in (clearing of the throat noise) Arizona, they have a serious problem with abortion being used to select for race and/or gender. At least, one state representative thinks they do. (It is not entirely clear what country he thinks Arizona is in — can you drive to Shang-hai from Yuma?)

22. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Reverse racism doesn't exist?? That sounds pretty racist there buddy. Ever heard of Al Sharpton? That piece of scum is the perfect example of a black bigot. I despise him.

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Your personal insecurities do not concern me. I'm sorry if you are irrationally defensive and reading too much into the ad which is clearly talking about the disgustingly high rate of abortions in the black community (almost 60% in NYC). Note, these are factual abortions, not racist slanderous abortions. Real, life, abortions. If you don't face the problems in your community head-on, how do you expect to solve them?

BTW, reverse racism doesn't exist? I agree. It's not called 'reverse racism', it's just called racism. And it most certainly does exist...

Poor education? Yeah, must be a problem the conservative-controlled public school systems and local governments within in the inner city. LOL. :rolleyes: Like I said to BL, if you don't face the problems in your community head-on, (and be honest about the causes including those in a place of power with the ability to cause change) how do you expect to solve them?

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

How does cutting down or eliminating abortions solve problems in your community?

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'll play devil's advocate. If you cut back on abortions, then presumably people are either having safer sex, abstaining or are financially and personally capable of caring for more children. All of those results could be seen as positives. The lower abortion numbers would merely be a side-effect of other good things. Unfortunately, the anti-choice crowd doesn't give a crap about the community, the babies or the women who would be having the babies, they only care about feeling better about having fewer or no abortions.

If they cared about the communities most at risk for abortions, the babies, and the women, they would invest heavily in economic programs that would lift those communities out of poverty, invest heavily in public education, invest heavily in mass transit and job creation, invest heavily in sex ed and safe sex programs, and they would invest heavily in programs that help women and families.

My conclusion that they don't care is based on the fact that they uniformly oppose any such investment. Oh, I'm certain someone here will point to high levels of charity or allowing the free market to help, but historically, that charity and the free market has led us to where we are today (not exactly the results they want).