Anti-ACORN activist accused of trying to wiretap Mary Landrieu's phones

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Activist filmmaker arrested in senator’s office
Man who exposed ACORN accused of seeking to wiretap Landrieu’s phones

NEW ORLEANS - A conservative filmmaker whose undercover videos shone a spotlight on alleged corruption by the liberal activist group ACORN was arrested with three other men and accused of plotting to wiretap the New Orleans offices of Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La.

The FBI said in an affidavit that James O’Keefe was among the four men who were arrested Monday. Special Agent Steven Rayes said O’Keefe was helping two others, Joseph Basel and Robert Flanagan, who were dressed as employees of a telephone company and attempted to interfere with the office’s telephone system, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans reported Tuesday on its Web site.

Flanagan is the son of William J. Flanagan, the acting U.S. attorney for western Louisiana, a Democratic official told the political newspaper The Hill.

The fourth man was identified as Stan Dai. All four were charged with entering federal property under false pretenses with the intent of committing a felony.

An FBI criminal complaint charging the men was unsealed Tuesday, and a magistrate set bond at $10,000 each after they made their initial court appearances wearing red prison jumpsuits.

‘Poor judgment’
None of the defendants commented on the allegations in court.

"It was poor judgment," Robert Flanagan's lawyer, Garrison Jordan, said in a brief interview outside the courthouse. "I don't think there was any intent or motive to commit a crime."

Eddie Castaing, who represented O'Keefe, Dai and Basel, said he had no details on the allegations.

"We are just grateful that they were not detained ... and they can go home to their families," he said.

O’Keefe, who calls himself an investigative journalist and filmmaker, made a sensation on YouTube last year when he produced reports exposing alleged corruption within the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, which promotes housing for low-income people.

O’Keefe was in New Orleans last week to give a speech at the Libertarian Pelican Institute. A witness on Landrieu’s staff told the Times-Picayune that O’Keefe showed up in Landrieu’s office Monday and claimed to be “waiting for someone to arrive.”
Not surprised they took this one step too far, just wondering what took so long.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Can't wait to see him and his buddies strung up. Especially the AG's son.

Felonies are felonies.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Not that we needed more proof, but I think this definitely casts doubts of suspicion on the guy's video evidence against ACORN and the theory that ACORN is "totally and utterly" corrupt.

If he's willing to break the law to smear "lefty libs" then I'm sure the portrayal he gave of ACORN is not accurate.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If he's willing to break the law to smear "lefty libs" then I'm sure the portrayal he gave of ACORN is not accurate.
Got any proof of that? If so, I'd love to see it.

If this guy committed a crime in Senator Landrieu's office then he should be prosecuted.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
"Hi honey. What? No, I don't remember where you left the handcuffs. Did you look in the leather closet..."

Accountability is an appealing idea, but only if it is applied even-handedly, nevermind that bugs and transcibers are not known to be at all discriminating in terms of TMI.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Got any proof of that? If so, I'd love to see it.

If this guy committed a crime in Senator Landrieu's office then he should be prosecuted.
Judging from how ACORN summarily fired the people involved I'd say they're a respectable organization.

They've been attacked before when trying to get a union started in neighborhoods. They were attacked the the Republican party in areas where they tried to register low income people (typically people who vote for Democrats).

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not that we needed more proof, but I think this definitely casts doubts of suspicion on the guy's video evidence against ACORN and the theory that ACORN is "totally and utterly" corrupt.

So because he caught ACORN in wrongdoings, then was later caught trying to catch more politicians going at it, but broke the law doing so, his previous findings are not accurate? :confused:

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Not really, just shows the lengths he is willing to go to to bring down crooks. If he had caught incriminating evidence with the wiretaps this might have been a little different deal.
Actually if he wasn't an idiot, he would have realized any information he would have gotten would not have been admissible in court (I'm sure) and they "wrongdoer" which at the moment does not exist would have went free.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Judging from how ACORN summarily fired the people involved I'd say they're a respectable organization.
I don't know much about ACORN, but this is pretty bad logic. Its like saying, "judging from how Tiger Woods summarily entered sex rehab, he's probably a pretty great guy."

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I don't know much about ACORN, but this is pretty bad logic. Its like saying, "judging from how Tiger Woods summarily entered sex rehab, he's probably a pretty great guy."
It would make sense to say he's a pretty GOOD guy (not great) that he has admitted he has a problem and is trying to do something about it.

If ACORN had denied they had any wrongdoing, that would be bad. But there is no evidence what this poser exposed is a wide spread problem. Even some of his evidence doesn't' support his agenda. In some of the clips, they were laughing at this tool and imho were messing with him.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Actually if he wasn't an idiot, he would have realized any information he would have gotten would not have been admissible in court (I'm sure) and they "wrongdoer" which at the moment does not exist would have went free.
Who cares about court? Leak the taps to the media and they kiss their career goodbye, one less crook.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Who cares about court? Leak the taps to the media and they kiss their career goodbye, one less crook.
It's still a crime though and they're still going to jail. I don't know many people that are willing to sacrifice their freedom just to take down one person.

Was this guy investigating Republicans as well as Democrats? Both sides have their fair share of loons.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Who cares about court?
Everyone interested in justice.

Leak the taps to the media and they kiss their career goodbye
interesting to see the amount of trust you bestow in the media to check, double-check, and objectively report on such matters. Nonetheless you've been open in advocating trial by media now, something which will be interesting to see you justify in future threads.

one less crook.
Or in this case, if these men are convicted at trial, four more crooks.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Ok what the hell is this ACORN thing and how has it affected me?
besides the fact that I have seen it all over the internet for the last 12 months. I want DATA please not opinions

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
accused? More like caught red handed.

I guess they figured that fame made them above the law, hopefully some jail time will force them to reevaluate their methods

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone interested in justice.

interesting to see the amount of trust you bestow in the media to check, double-check, and objectively report on such matters. Nonetheless you've been open in advocating trial by media now, something which will be interesting to see you justify in future threads.

Or in this case, if these men are convicted at trial, four more crooks.
These politicians are above the justice system, they are crooks and the only way to bring them down is to break the law.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
accused? More like caught red handed
Important point here that Andrew Breitbart rightly makes:
http://biggovernment.com/2010/01/26/wait-until-the-facts-are-in/

"But there is absolutely no allegation in the criminal complaint that “wiretapping” or “bugging” is any part of this case, just the charge that O’Keefe and the others entered Sen. Landrieu’s office in New Orleans “for the purpose of interfering with the office’s telephone system.”

Not excusing the accused; just let's wait for the evidence here...

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
WTF? Spying on a Louisiana Senate rep? How far can the Patriot Act go or whatever BS they used as an excuse for wire tapping?
Pretty sure the Patriot Act which Obama extended doesn't apply in this situation. This is a little vigilante action, if they were caught they go to jail, if they caught a crook they get a medal.