Anti-bullying Activist Assaults 74 Year Old Trump Supporter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting story in the New York Daily News. During an anti Trump rally, a 23 year old anti bullying activist assaulted a 74 year old Trump supporter. It sounds like the Trump supporter was harassing the 23 year old but I find it ironic that the anti-bullying activist resorted to violence. She was eventually the only one to be arrested while the Trump supporter was taken to a hospital for minor head injuries.

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well to be fair being an anti-bullying activist doesn't necessarily mean anti-violent.

And if he really was harassing her, then he probably got what he deserved. Bullies are bullies until someone finally decides to fight back.

If the story is true, I bet he thinks twice the next time he decides to follow someone and yell at them for blocks.

3. unlinked macrumors 6502a

She is the one charged with harassment so I suppose we will see how it goes.

Either way I generally presume the person who initiates violence is in the wrong even if that doesn't mean the person on the receiving end is in the right.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well if someone is following me and yelling at me for no good reason, in my mind that is initiating violence.

Actions have consequences. And if the story is true, the consequence was getting pushed by a woman.

If the story is not true, then she should be punished.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What did we learn from this incident? Actions have consequences and both parties were given that lesson. Whether or not it sinks in, that is the question.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

in Florida I bet you could stand your ground and shoot the person yelling at you.

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I bet you couldn't.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I clicked the link, read the words "Black Lives Matter activist", laughed to myself while shaking my head, and proceeded to read.

The before --
    McLaurin shoved the Trump fan to the ground — opening up a gash on the back of his head, cops said. He was taken to an area hospital with a minor injury, officials said.

“I pushed him. He's a faker,” she told cops, according to an incident report. “He wasn't pushed hard enough to fall. It took him a long time to fall. I did tell him if he keeps following me, I will f him up.”

The after --
    I don’t promote violence and it was never my intention nor did I ever assault him. I, in fact, was the person that was assaulted,” she said Friday. “I speak out against any form of violence. It’s something that I don’t tolerate so I will speak out against it always.”

“I had to spend numerous hours in a prison cell. I was very uncomfortable. That’s not my lifestyle,” she said. “I cried. I cried. I was really hurt because I knew the situation wasn’t my fault. I asked God why I was even in this predicament.”

The confusion:
    She was yelling ‘Black lives matter’ and he started yelling ‘All lives matter’ and it went from there,” the source said.

Lawyer Victoria Brown-Douglas told Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Geoffrey Wright that McLaurin, an accomplished singer, had just left a performance at the Plaza Hotel when Durkan started hurling insults at her.

"he followed her for four blocks" ... how hard is it to outrun a 74 year old man? I swear ... And the instagram video from hawk.newsome suggests that the man pushed her first, and then she pushed him back.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

While finger pointing may or may not be easy - not condoning this behavior or excusing it (no matter which side) is important.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Hmm. In red does not compute.

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

It makes me very pessimistic about people getting along after this election :(.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You have.not seen some of the cases that have won in Florida. They have gotten away with shooting a unarmed man running way in the back and gang bangers have gotten away with stand you ground in Florida.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

What about the Trump campaign did you find unifying?

14. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

People are such ideologues now that they will never accept the outcomes of any election :(.