Anti fingerprint for unibody Macbook Pro aluminum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike-d, Aug 21, 2009.

1. mike-d macrumors newbie

2. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um what?

Are you talking about an oleophobic coating for the screen? (If so Id say don't touch the screen) but if your taking about the computer itsself thats impossible. Everyone leaves fingerprints.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

5. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

problem is, theyll always be someone who does touch your screen!

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

And there will always be a way to wipe it...

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Really? I never have that problem.

8. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

No I meant an anti fingerprint solution for the ALUMINUM on the laptop. It's impossible not to smudge it and the laptop loses its aesthetic value when it's dirty. THE ALUMINUM NOT THE SCREEN.

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Clean your computer often then? Wash your hands? I really haven't had a problem with fingerprint smudges on the aluminum...

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Wipe it with a wet cloth every day and then dry it with a dry one. That's what I do. It works.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

how about not giving ur laptop the death grip? seriously, its a laptop meant to be used, not treated like a million dollar piece of jewelry. I don't see any fingerprints on mine.

12. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Yeah! when I saw this thread I knew exactly what the OP was talking about. The screen is just fine. It's bright enough that I don't notice most smudges and a weekly cleaning is sufficient.

It's the actual body on the bottom and wrist wrest that gets super streaked up. Also the keys just get dirty after a day of use.

Honestly, one day of use and i open th computer outside and it looks like total crap. My 15" MacBook Pro (pre-unibody) didn't have that problem. I'm honestly wiping a wet cloth on it once a day.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep the aluminum seems to attract finger prints (smudges) a lot. So your best bet is to just have a cloth handy to wipe her down with daily.

14. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i can easily clean the glass/display off and the aluminum as well.

its jsut the keys on the black keyboard is what sort of ticks me off.
    even though i keep my hands clean and dont spill or eat at the comp they do leave stained like smudges on the black coating of the keys...while they are very nice keys to type on and love em...thats the only issue ive had with my macbookpro other than that its kept clean easily.

15. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

God, some people are nasty.

I've heard of water and a cloth, but it's just too tiring to wipe the laptop off more than once a day, especially since it's a shared laptop and it's always in use.

I guess there are no solutions for anti smudge.

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

TBH the OP has a genuine right to be angry and disgruntled because for the money you would expect Apple to have made the coverings anti-smudge.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How is wiping it off with a water and cloth more "tiring" than applying some theoretical anti-smudge chemical? As long as humans secrete oil from glands in their skin, you're going to have to deal with fingerprints.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I REALLY hope you are kidding. If not thats the stupidest line I've ever heard. No offense.

You can't expect someone to make anti-fingerprint metal or anti-fingerprint anything. It just doesn't exist.

19. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Too tiring to wipe down every night? That'll keep the dirt at bay. C'mon now...

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't have any smudges on mine... and I haven't cleaned it since I bought it.

21. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

OK sorry I just thought that there would be some solution that would make the aluminum... forget it :confused:

Can't you people just answer with something like: "there is no way to prevent fingerprints" instead of "use a cloth and some water"? :confused:

22. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

:confused: But there is a way... and that's use a cloth and some clean water once daily...;)

23. nüb macrumors member

I'd get some latex body paint and dip your fingers in it. Then, after it dries, you're good to go!

Kidding...but i've found that the apple "polish" that they sell at the Apple store is helpful in conjunction with regularly washing your hands.

24. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Don't ever buy a Black MacBook. I owned one and it would always look dirty. It would smudge so much more than this aluminum one. Actually, one of the reasons why I really preferred this aluminum MacBook was because it would stay clean a lot longer. And when it was dirty, it was never as apparent as the BlackBook.

25. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

theres always someone who feels the need to stick there finger on the screen when they want to or try to show you something