Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcmac17

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
London
I thought it might be helpful to add some more comparison pictures for anyone thinking of buying who can't get to see them in person.

Both screens are calibrated & are on full brightness. There's a window to the right of the shot. I took them yesterday afternoon - so it was daylight but there wasn't dazzling sunshine directly on the screens.

I'm not trying to start another fight about which is better - FWIW I like them both for different reasons.

I have taken two pics of each colour as the right hand one is closer to the window and I didn't want to be accused of bias.

Excuse the close cropping and the pic quality, but I didn't have time to make my desktop or the shots look particularly beautiful!

Attachments

• black 1.jpg
    black 1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 388
  • black 2.jpg
    black 2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 406
  • clownfish 1.jpg
    clownfish 1.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 453
  • clownfish 2.jpg
    clownfish 2.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 444

Mcmac17

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
London
here's more...

Attachments

• red 2.jpg
    red 2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 197
  • red 1.jpg
    red 1.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 144
  • green 2.jpg
    green 2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 153
  • green 1.jpg
    green 1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 148

Mcmac17

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
London
...final lot...

Attachments

• white 1.jpg
    white 1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 154
  • white 2.jpg
    white 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 133
  • universe 1.jpg
    universe 1.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 274
  • universe 2.jpg
    universe 2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 333

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Great concept, but in order to really tell the difference between the screens, we kinda need higher quality pictures.

God, that matte display looks gorgeous...

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
The matte display looks better in these pics when it comes to color and reflection, but it seems to me that the black hinge and keys match up with the black frame better.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
The matte display looks better in these pics when it comes to color and reflection, but it seems to me that the black hinge and keys match up with the black frame better.

The black bezel gives you an iphone style feeling.

Mcmac17

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
London
Here's 1 pic at higher res. Sorry don't have time at the mo to do more, I really ought to be working :) And I'm sure I'm not camerawoman enough to nail it either. I'd really recommend anyone swithering to go and see them in person.

Attachments

• earth.jpg
    earth.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 506

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Here's 1 pic at higher res. Sorry don't have time at the mo to do more, I really ought to be working :) And I'm sure I'm not camerawoman enough to nail it either. I'd really recommend anyone swithering to go and see them in person.

I'd agree with that info…go see them both if possible in the store. I have all matte Macs at the moment but the girlfriend has the new UMB and the screen seems fine to me and I've taken it all over to see if it would be really bad, such as out in the back yard under the sun. Both types of screens really depend what one can get along with. Either one would be ok with me but my art room is in my basement and only one small window (glass block no less) do I ever have to contend with :rolleyes:
I guess in the long run, no large screen HDTV LCD (notice I didn't mention plasma) has a glassy screen, my 42" nor 32" HDTV is matte and thus minimal glare as both face windows. Everything is subjective and each side is right for each individual that chooses said type of screen.
Now I'm not sure if all Apple Stores carry (sell) both because I really wouldn't want to get a BTO just for the screen as it would be nice to buy one at a store and go home with one that very day but I'll just have to see about that when the time comes.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada

thanks OP for taking time to post these pictures. You mentioned in your first post that you like them both for different reasons.

Could you please share what they are? :)

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada

i agree. The matte display looks absolutely gorgeous in these pics. No reflections in the sun makes it even sweeter :p

kinda wish I had ordered a matte 17" now

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The matte makes the MBP much more usable in actually portable situations. But of course I don't take the 17's portable that frequently.

It's way too often that I have to make like a Bollywood dancer bobbing my head back and forth to catch the best image on the MB / MBP15's.

The screen is definitely one of the better 17-inchers I've seen, although Dell and Sony feature better screens on their 17-inch flagships. Some have complained about patchy backlighting on the matte - and wobbly QC wouldn't surprise me - but all of mine seem to be fine.

Mcmac17

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
London
You mentioned in your first post that you like them both for different reasons.

Could you please share what they are? :)

Well, the glossy is just jaw-droppingly beautiful. The image is stunning - if it is in the right lighting conditions. The black colours seem better and the colours in general 'jump out' at you more. To me the black surround looks more professional. It is very reflective though in some conditions and on blacks/dark colours especially.

The anti-glare, as you might expect, deals fabulously with all sorts of lighting conditions (bright sunlight, overhead lights etc). The colours are great - although when compared side by side to the glossy the black seems perhaps a wee bit weak and the colours are not just quite as zingy (I've only had the anti-glare a day so I have not tinkered with the calibration much - this could probably be adjusted?) I am not a design professional so these may well be more accurate colours as far as reproduction/print goes. The difference is pretty minor to my eyes though. I find the silver surround a little distracting (but it's only day 2 so I'm sure I'll get used to it shortly).

I ordered the glossy as my first ever mac - I was concerned that the anti-glare wouldn't look as sharp. But unfortunately (or not) the fans broke within a month. In the meantime, I saw the anti-glare in person and was really impressed, so I asked them to upgrade to antiglare on the replacement. I often can't control the lighting where I use it (on trains, on a boat and indoors next to windows) so I decided it was better to have full use of the long battery life with the anti-glare (because it won't need to be run on such a high brightness setting).

So, I'll be sad to say goodbye to the black surround, but not to the mirror-qualities in bright conditions. Both are lovely in their own way. If only I didn't have to send one back... :D

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I previously owned a matte 15" MacBook Pro. I shortly replaced it with a 15" Glossy Unibody MacBook Pro in November 2008 when they were first released.

I am going to have to admit that I have really grown attached to the glossy display. I really love how it makes colours "pop". With that being said, there are times where I'm located in a place with such lighting it can be highly annoying to use. Saving power by "reducing brightness" is almost impossible without looking into the mirror Apple calls a display. However, in my moderately lit home it's incredibly beautiful and a pleasure to use.

So, I highly recommend you take your time and really think about which one really suits you and what your lighting condition are.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
lean to the left, lean to the right, stand up sit down, fight fight fight!!

for me the glassy/glossy looks better. for me it is the same effect that plasma has over LCD. the image seems more real somehow. i call it the "window effect." the glass in front of the screen gives the illusion that you are looking thru at it. this makes the image seem more 3 dimensional. with an LCD or matte screen the image looks very dull (not color wise just realism wise).

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Well, the glossy is just jaw-droppingly beautiful. The image is stunning - if it is in the right lighting conditions. The black colours seem better and the colours in general 'jump out' at you more. To me the black surround looks more professional. It is very reflective though in some conditions and on blacks/dark colours especially.

The anti-glare, as you might expect, deals fabulously with all sorts of lighting conditions (bright sunlight, overhead lights etc). The colours are great - although when compared side by side to the glossy the black seems perhaps a wee bit weak and the colours are not just quite as zingy (I've only had the anti-glare a day so I have not tinkered with the calibration much - this could probably be adjusted?) I am not a design professional so these may well be more accurate colours as far as reproduction/print goes. The difference is pretty minor to my eyes though. I find the silver surround a little distracting (but it's only day 2 so I'm sure I'll get used to it shortly).

I ordered the glossy as my first ever mac - I was concerned that the anti-glare wouldn't look as sharp. But unfortunately (or not) the fans broke within a month. In the meantime, I saw the anti-glare in person and was really impressed, so I asked them to upgrade to antiglare on the replacement. I often can't control the lighting where I use it (on trains, on a boat and indoors next to windows) so I decided it was better to have full use of the long battery life with the anti-glare (because it won't need to be run on such a high brightness setting).

So, I'll be sad to say goodbye to the black surround, but not to the mirror-qualities in bright conditions. Both are lovely in their own way. If only I didn't have to send one back... :D

wowow lucky you've got to experience the best of both worlds :) I'm anxiously awaiting my unibody glassy macbook pro now too.

Mcmac17

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
London
wowow lucky you've got to experience the best of both worlds :) I'm anxiously awaiting my unibody glassy macbook pro now too.

Ha! I didn't feel lucky when the 1st one started making a noise like an olde worlde film projector - but it has worked out well.

The glossy is lovely. I'm sure you'll love it :)

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK

ditto... and the glossy display looks sharper :)
and I love that the isight camera can't be seen on the glossy until it's on! on the matte it stands out like a sore thumb!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.