Anti glare screen cover / film owners, I need your input please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klex, Jul 10, 2012.

1. klex, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

klex macrumors regular

Hi,

So after having toyed around with the rMBP for a week and half, I returned it today. The machine is amazing, but any new mac would probably get that reaction in my hands, since it's been 6 years since my last upgrade.

Anyway, I love everything about the retina - the weight, the size, the ports, no superdrive and so on. However, the sole reason for me returning it at this point is that the glare was driving me crazy. It didn't bother me initially, but after a couple of days, I noticed it, and have been unable to stop noticing it after that.

Which brings me to my question: if you now own or have previously owned an anti glare film or screen cover for your macbook, what exactly was your experience? Was it horrible or bearable? Did you wish you had gotten a matte display instead if you had the chance? Did the screen become grainy? What brand(s) have you or are you using?

I did read a couple of threads, where the overall conclusion seems to be that Power Support is the way to go. I know that they do not currently have a product for the retina, but I suspect it will be a matter of time.

Thanks in advance for your time.

---------

Also, if anyone of you also have experience with Apple's matte displays and could through in some thoughts on how they compare, it would be much appreciated.

2. GCWB macrumors member

I had the mid 2010 15" with high res screen and matte display.
    It was perfect. There really is near to zero reflection.

What I would say is that you are over-reacting. I had the mid 2010 for 2 years, and now I'm on the rMBP. It's found a perfect midpoint. I doubt Apple will release an anti-glare, you can tell from the keynote that they were proud of how much they'd improved the glossy screen.

3. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I am just really anal about these things. I also doubt that Apple will release an matte rMBP, but for me, the question is whether the current anti glare film products on the market are any good at all. If they are, I will definitely pick up another rMBP, and wait for them to release anti glare covers.

4. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

And rightfully so. It's pretty great. I've always loved glossy screens. Even with the regular ones never complained too much... but this is enough of an improvement where I would probably complain having to go back now. ;-)

I think a lot of the problem has to do with usage situations. I'm rarely in a situation where adjusting the angle of my screen slightly doesn't take care of my problem.

5. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I hear you. However, I already tried that. I work in a very sunlit room, and the glare is just too much for me. Even the black frame around the screen is too glary for me.

6. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Why did you return it before asking about antiglare covers/trying one out yourself?

8. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Saw that in another thread. Very funny!

----------

My two weeks were up, so I had to return it or keep it. And since there are not anti glare covers currently available on the market for the retina, I did not have the luxury of trying the display with such a cover.

9. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

10. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

11. klex thread starter macrumors regular

I do not want to seem ungrateful, and appreciate people taking their time to post in the thread, however, I have yet to see a reply that is on point.

There must be some users out their who can help me right?

Thanks!

12. jbzcar macrumors regular

I have a Green Onions Anti-Glare screen protector on my late 2008 uMBP. It is great! Never been a fan of glossy screens. I have used their AG protectors on other laptops before with great results.

My screen isn't grainy at all, and still gets really bright turned all the way up. No bubbles, either! :)

I am still undecided on if I am going to get a Retina or Classic when I upgrade later this year... If I go Classic, I will definitely go Anti-Glare, though. If I go Retina, I will get another screen protector.

13. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! This was exactly the kind of insight I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Have you by any chance ever had the opportunity to directly compare it to any of Apples own AG / matte screens?

14. jbzcar macrumors regular

No, I haven't. But I have compared it with my Sony Vaio S-series that came AG and, of course it is not going to be as seamless, but the difference is not all that significant, IMO.

15. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Great. Thanks.

16. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

i took these pictures a while back on a similar thread asking about AG SP's
    iphone is there just for comparison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. klex thread starter macrumors regular

That looks pretty impressive. What brand is it and what are your overall experiences with using the film/SP?