Anti-glare screen vs. Glossy with anti-glare film

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by striderz1, Jun 1, 2011.

1. striderz1 macrumors newbie

So I haven't really been able to decide on what to get. I'm looking at purchasing a new mbp 15" and like the antiglare screen, but hate the silver bezel, i think the black glass look is amazing. My question was that has anyone tried putting something similar to this:

http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/macbook-pro-15/anti-glare-film.html

Power support or other makers, has anyone had any success with these products or experiences that can help me with this decision. Again I lurk alot here and haven't come across this topic. Thanks for all who can chime in.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

The antiglare offered by apple
    Is far superior to any film plus glossy
    Combo out there. And the silver bezel
    Grows on u.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

AG by Apple is the best, why would u get Glossy with AG film? No offense but that doesn't even make sense.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Film anit-glare.... hell no!

Depends on what you are used to. I am used to old school Powerbooks, so the black bezel looks crap to me, and I really like the silver bezel.

You got 14 days to try one out either way, just do not Film it....

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I remember a few months after I got my last machine (before antiglare option) that some woman sat next to me on the train and took hers out. She asked me if the glare bothered me and I said, "No, not really". Then she opened hers, which had a film on it with a bunch of bubbles and said, "I put this film on and I think it's much better." I said, "Yeah, ok".

I have an anti-glare now, but if I had a standard glossy again, I'd leave it as is.

6. striderz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I was thinking of getting the AG initially, but I'm buying a used 2011 mbp that has the 2.3ghz cpu, 8gb ram and hi-res glossy. And getting it for around 2100 compared to the retail 2800 from apple, and I was wondering if the glossy vs antiglare would be a deal breaker or not.

So far I guess the verdict is: Go with antiglare if possible if not just keep it bare with no film.

If there are others with some input please chime in.

And thanks everyone who has already shed some light on the issue.

7. PlaysARobin macrumors newbie

If you want AG go AG. Don't do film.

I love the AG option and prefer the silver bezel. Looks a little different than every other macbook pro out there but more importantly I don't see myself and everything going on around me.

Guess glossy has its advantages if someone is gonna try an Dexter you by surprise though.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The film is really tough to put on a laptop screen, not easy like the iPhone. I tried to put one on and lots of small bubles on the screen. Any piece of dust or whatnot will cause a buble. I'd stay away from the films.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Is that a haiku?

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't know what films all the people here used but I tried one on my old Samsung notebook and was very pleased with the outcome. Yes applying it is not a 2 min job but it is doable and also without any bubbles.
    I used a Vikuiti ARM200 from 3M. It was not as matte as most matte screens are and had much better AR than almost all of them. It looked better than most matte screens with the only problem that it wasn't perfectly cut there was about 1/2 millimeter missing on the side. The perfect finish was missing but otherwise it was perfect. The panel was not very good though bad contrast and not as bright.
    There are films that are easy to apply but they usually suck. I also heard that it looks worse on screens with a glass panel because the matte coating shouldn't be too far away from the LC Panel.

I do own a matte MBP though now and I would defnitely recommend to get the matte one. The silver bezel looks better after a while, more professional, more serious and timeless.
    If the keys and the screen hinge would be in some dark metallic grey the whole design would be perfect.

11. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I tried some of the anti-glare products on my iPad. Short version - I hated them.

I just moved from a MBP 15 with anti-glare to a MBP 13 without. I miss the old screen and am having some buyer's remorse over the change. Still, the new MBP is terrific.

12. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I have an anti-glare screen protector for my 13" MBP and its pretty nice. From my experience, it was worth the $10. Plus, I can always take it off if I wanted to.

13. gchhour macrumors member

Why not spend a little extra for the Anti-Glare screen, the only reason that I can think of sticking to the stock screen is that the colors are a little more vibrant on them. Other than that the Antiglare from Apple is going to be much better than some sticker that your going to place on your screen. Trust me the investment will be worth it.

14. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Just spend the relatively small amount of extra money to get the anti-glare screen. I did and I don't regret it in the least. Plus (just a little inside secret ;)) the silver bezel makes you look special.

15. Petronas macrumors regular

You can't get the standard resolution with the AG screen can you?

16. jason221 macrumors 6502

No, but hi res is better (unless it hurts your eyes).