Anti Glare SP vs HR Anti Glare BTO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Jan 28, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If the next update of the MBP is significant enough, I may order it as a AG screen. Right now, I installed a Anti Glare Screen Protector by Power Support on my 17" HR Glossy display. It's not as shiny anymore and a lot more dime. I can't notice any change in visibility or any irregularities. Is this how the actual HR screen looks like? or Better? or Worst?

2. simsaladimbamba

The actual AG screen looks better, IMHO, as I have had a glossy MBP, which got replaced by an AG screen. It is a bit harder to clean though, as with the glossy one, you can just use a slightly wet cloth, whereas with the AG screen, you need to use spit.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Where did you get the screen swapped for an antiglare. I am interested in doing this for my MBP and I tried the screen protector route but it was too grainy for my tastes. If you know of a location to source the antiglare display, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

4. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, used the wrong words I guess. The 15" MBP with a glossy screen got stolen, thus I replaced it with a 17" MBP with AG screen. :eek:

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I have had the 17" AG on 2 MBP's and the Power Support AG on my ipad. There is no comparison.. IMO the glossy screens look like crap. You won't be disappointed with the AG screen.

6. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yes, it is too grainy. That's what I was thinking. And the graininess has some sort of multi color/rainbow effect on the screen. I've been deciding if I should take it of since it took me an hour to install it without lint, dirt, or air bubbles. However, I still have another 17" AG SP.

I hope so! I really don't like how "shiny" the display is. Once a light hits it, the quality degrades. And also, it's mirror like and you can make out your image sometimes.

7. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I want to use a Glossy MBP for an extended period of time so I can base my suggestion on that, but for now, I only have AG in my corner. I noticed the blacks and darker colors kind of blend in. In a movie, if it is dark and the person has dark hair, good luck seeing it. I also found it hard to turn the brightness up without loosing picture quality. Overall, I am glad I got the AG though. I plan on buying two TB Displays for my desktop and I don't have a problem with the glossiness indoors, because it's all about lighting as far as reflection. But I think a lot of users who use the normal screens/high res screens, have a better color experience. Oh btw, whites on the AG, shine. and I have had no problem cleaning it, but my OCD and ADH ooh look something shiny D, kicks in daily as far as cleaning.

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

would you recommend this though? I was looking to buy one for my 13" MBP. Looking at Moshi's and Power Support's, i cant really decide.

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

HR AG BTO. Worth every penny. The high-res screen looks much better on my 15", and the AG screen reduces a lot of distractions when working outside.

10. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I love the hi res AG. I spent weeks looking at all the different Apple Notebooks and decided on the hi res AG. No regrets.

11. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I find that using the High Res AG screen sometimes hurts my eyes, whites appear grainy. It's had to see fine details like when scrolling through Tunes, that little line that separates albums? Almost invisible.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Time for glasses?

13. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Saying I'm getting old? :p

14. bdinger macrumors member

bdinger

I just went through this very quandary. Last week I owned a total of three MacBook Pros, first the AG, next the standard glass, and then the AG again.

I can say definitively that I prefer the color balance and everything about the AG. That's the summary.

Why I went through three? I got the AG home and thought the res was a little too much to handle, so I took it back to the Apple Store and exchanged it for a standard res glass. Res was much easier on my eyes, but at the same time I just couldn't get comfortable with the over saturation. I'm a bit picky when it comes to colors and monitors, for example I almost can't stand my HP EliteBook that I use for consulting work as regardless of what I do the panel has a heavy blue balance to it. It drives me crazy, but it's better than most, so I live with it.

Getting back to it, I had the glass MBP for three days and just couldn't get over that, or the reflections. The latter were mostly minor, and I was actually surprised because I've had a late-2009 white MacBook since, well, late 2009 and I've never noticed it. Yet side by side it's pretty clear, that glass really reflects. And it also is heavily saturated, even when compared to my white MacBook. I was able to fiddle with the calibration and get it more neutral, but frankly I missed the natural color "pop" of the antiglare.

In summary, my eyes prefer the antiglare MBP. They also really dig the late-2009 white MacBook, and honestly the panels on the 13in MBP's look quite nice as well.

I'd take some time to compare the two, and see which yours prefer. I'm very happy with my final decision.