Anti-Glare vs Glossy w/ anti-glare film

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Apr 14, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Anti-Glare vs Glossy with an anti-glare film.

Opinions? Advice?

I want to retain the pretty black bezel and the film would serve a double purpose: anti-glare and scratch protection.

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Have you every tried to put a screen protector on anything? an iPhone/iPod touch/other mobile device? if so, were you good at it? was it perfect?

if you answered no to any of these questions, you will (most likely) have to live with a bubbly, potentially off-centered screen protector with dust underneath for as long as you have the laptop.

oh, and i noticed that anti-glare protectors tend to mess up the screen's colors.

3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an anti-glare power support film on my iPod Touch. It is perfectly centered.

Power Support customer service is really great. When I first tried to apply the films I accidentally damaged both films. They both got quite a bit of dust on the static side and the tape I used was a bit to harsh and it scratched the back. They happily mailed me replacements and I had amazing luck the second time around.

4. ZTuned macrumors member

All screen protectors/film = fail

I don't think I've ever scratched an LCD screen on any electronic device I've owned. Besides, the MBP's have glass -- not an easy thing to scratch unless you do something very dumb.

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

ok, that seems good. i guess you could give it a shot. does the screen on your ipod seem to have a kinda rainbow effect on light colors? i've seen stuff like that on many screens with anti-glare protectors...that and the screen looking grainy.

6. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

fail? It significantly reduces glare while retaining the signature "black bezeled" look. How is that fail?

7. markp9114 macrumors member

i have an antiglare film on my ipod. it makes the screen more grainy definitely. Its not that BAD, but noticeable enough that I took it off

8. nimski62 macrumors regular

Because it gives the 'vinyl' look and it just isn't very natural... you my friend are blind if you can look at a coated glossy vs matte and tell me the matte doesn't have better quality.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My friend did the PowerSupport route (or a similar company) and it was horrible. The extra layer of glass there then the film made for terrible fuzziness of text and such. He ripped it off almost instantly from what I understand.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I have an anti-glare screen protector on my iPhone. works great as a screen protector, but the image is much more grainy. I wouldn't try to apply one on something as big as a laptop LCD.

11. pastparticiple macrumors regular

It's a "fail" in his mind because he disagrees with you. Get used to being told you are wrong here if someone doesn't think like you...seems a lot of people feel it's their duty.

12. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The image is noticeably grainy with the screen protector on my iPod. The graininess is due to the distance between the matte surface and the display. I still like it on the iPod, though, because it reduces finger prints and improves the touchscreen feel/responsiveness.

Also, I noticed that the matte film doesn't actually reduce the reflections as much as a matte LCD. The diffusion is about the same as either of my matte LCDs, but the brightness of the diffuse light is much brighter with the film, since the glass behind it is reflecting the same amount. As a result, glossy with a matte film is much worse than either glossy or true matte, in my opinion.

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

14. snouter macrumors 6502a

I saw a 17" anti-glare in the Apple Store night. Looked pretty good.

Not thinking you could replicate that (fit and finish) with some sort of film.