Anti-gun police commissioner wants armed protection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Nov 9, 2013.

1. lostngone, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If the guy can afford it he should pay them himself.

Looks like the food police mayor is going to pay his team with his own money.

3. distemp macrumors regular

I agree that it's obviously overkill but...you're not actually defending high-capacity magazines and semi-automatic rifles, correct?

4. lostngone, Nov 9, 2013

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I find it sickening that Mr Ray Kelly will already have more rights then your average citizen to carry/own firearms even when retired and that he has been so verbal about banning high capacity magazines and certain types of firearms is now a civilian and want tax payers to fund protection by people carrying the same things he wanted to see banned.

No, I am not "defending high-capacity magazines and semi-automatic rifles", I am defending my right to own them.

5. distemp macrumors regular

Tell me: would you support legalizing the private ownership of landmines to protect one's home?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Broken record here ...

Anybody have a reputable source for this story?

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think I've ever heard any anti-gun person say that. I know I'd be perfectly fine with letting people who have gone through police and or military training be allowed to be hired as bodyguards, other people not so much as that'll just result in more people getting killed.

8. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He is not important enough to warrant 720,000 taxpayer dollars worth of bodyguards after retiring.

Maybe just wear some body armor for the first couple of months. It'll be fine.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

10. lostngone, Nov 9, 2013

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

1st: He isn't hiring anyone, he wants tax payers to foot the bill and take man power away from the streets.

2nd: "I don't think I've ever heard any anti-gun person say that." Well here you go....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/18/ny-guv-looks-to-clarify-gun-law-after-concern-about-exemption-for-police/

Also you say you would feel "perfectly fine" with police handling these weapons but not others??? I can post video of a DEA agent shooting himself, ATF agent using a gun as hearing protection and police using a shotgun as a stool(the long way).

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to join the argument, but please do this. I'd love to see it.

BL.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's expected from a gangster with a badge.

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Where in the second amendment does it say you have a right to a high capacity magazine?

Oh yeah. The term " high capacity magazine " is nowhere in the Second Amendment.

Do you think citizens should be able to own T72 tanks with working guns? And ICBMs with nuclear warheads?

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Still pissed about that motorcycle incident?

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please look again at those sources and you'll notice something.

They both cite DNAinfo New York as the source of their stories.

The first paragraph of New York magazine ...

And the Huffington post reprint has a big DNAinfo.com logo right below the headline.

So what do we have so far? We have one source: DNAinfo.com.

And what's their proof?

So as of now, this whole thread is based on rumor, not fact.

Someone please wake me up when the police commission makes an actual request to the City of New York.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Wait for actual sources?

But we need to be outraged based on rumor NOW.

;)

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Want to give me a quote from that article showing where you get that idea from? This is the closest I can find.

Some police probably could use more training, but I'm still pretty sure they know how to handle guns far better than your average gun nut. If they are still doing stupid things imagine how many dumber things untrained people would be doing.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Using my highly refined, professionally honed, exquisitely sensitive observational skills, I believe I have discerned a pattern in OP's postings.

Of course, only a skilled professional would see this pattern...so don't feel bad if all you non-professionals haven't noticed.

And a bit more on topic...this guy Ray Kelley is clearly a terrible guy, and this is a story of historic importance.

:rolleyes::p

19. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

No, no, you missed the real point. Since one person is a hypocrite, all of those who advocate for regulation are. Thus we shouldn't do anything, everyone should have semi-automatic rifles and other weapons that can easily fire 20 or so bullets before they reload. It's all to defend themselves.

Also, that whole thing was sarcasm, in case somebody was to take it seriously.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What does that have to do with anything here? :confused:

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd like to look at this from the angle that the police commissioner is "anti-gun".

I found an opinion piece in the New York Daily News written by Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, Tuesday, August 20, 2013, which I'll excerpt below ...

Does anyone in this forum see anything in the above opinion as "anti-gun"?

If so, could you please explain why you see it as such?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see what his views on guns have to do with whether or not he needs protection after his service, due to the high profile nature of his job.

Howard Safir, Giuliani's Police Commissioner had a detail of 13 when he left office. It was reduced to 6 after several months.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I figured maybe your hatred for Ray Kelley has something to do with that. Was just a thought...

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Hatred" of Ray Kelly probably has more to do with his advocating "stop and frisk" tactics.

25. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Just not any "protection", armed protection with the same things he told citizens they didn't need to have.

He has been quoted as saying, "there's no need for people to have weapons of war and clips that hold 30 or more rounds of ammunition," and "It makes no sense in a civilized society."

He needs to amend this comment with an asterisk with fine print at the bottom that reads "When you have armed, around the clock police body guards"