Anti-gun professor wrestles

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
over whether to write reference for pro-gun student

When Sarah later asks Payne to write her a recommendation for a teacher-credential program, Payne initially says “yes” because “I usually do.” But the more Payne thinks about it, the more she agonizes.

“On one side are all of my ideas about supporting students, honoring their individuality and their journeys, creating a safe space for them (and myself), not taking things out of context, not overinterpreting,” Payne wrote. “On the other side are my memories of growing up in a situation where guns, people, and bullets had to be rigorously kept apart, lest they find each other in a tragic moment of instability.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/24/anti-gun-professor-wrestles-over-whether-to-write-reference-for-pro-gun-student.html

if you read the article, the professor KNEW about the guns BEFORE she agreed to write the letter, why not just say no in the first place?

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Incompetence in rational and objective thought. And the professor does not realize that the number of college graduates who initiate gratuitous violence is statistically insignificant.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Incompetence in rational and objective thought. And the professor does not realize that the number of college graduates who initiate gratuitous violence is statistically insignificant.
Statistics are great till you are effected by them.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The better question is who cares?

Student should just get a recommendation letter from someone else.

I fail to see why this is a news story.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Recommendations are for students who did exceptionally well in your classes, who showed a distinct aptitude for the work, and who you will think can complete the program they're applying to.

That's it. Mucking up you decision with some psuedo-philosophical dialogue about the nature of firearms in America is a mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekev and jkcerda