Anti-gun Senator(S) recalled!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Sep 11, 2013.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I really want to give a constructive comment about this but honestly, I don't think it would matter much considering the hard ideological stance our gun nut friends have.

3. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Good! The politicians should represent the beliefs of those who elected them. Considering I've never even held a gun I don't fall under the gun nut classification either.

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Since when does advocating gun control measures make you "anti-gun"?

If you advocate for traffic laws, are you "anti-car"?

5. kapolani macrumors regular

It's interesting to note that party lines did not sway any votes.

I think not allowing the constituents to speak at town meetings didn't help either. The standard practice is to let any constituents who wish to speak, speak.

Instead they tried to push these bills through.

Good riddance!

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

I just had the thought that this implies that people advocating for voter IDs are "anti-voting." :)

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I truly hope those citizens aren't so single minded that their vote was dependent on friggin gun legislation. We've got way more on our plate.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sad that the people of Colorado recalled their senators for trying to make it harder for criminals to murder people.

9. kapolani macrumors regular

I think they were speaking out more about how they went about doing business.

The numbers showed that strong Democrat supporters also voted for the recall.

10. citizenzen Suspended

Meanwhile in California ...

10 bullets?

I'd have limited it to six.

But I guess I can compromise.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Compromise? On gun laws? Don't be silly....

12. chrono1081, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

The gun-worship is getting out of control. I don't trust gun worship nuts, especially those who don't want stricter measures like increased background checks.

A guy I know who was CONVICTED of armed robbery legally bought a gun when he got out of prison. How is that possible!? (And, he's back in prison).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people having guns, but I DO remind irresponsible gun nuts having guns. If safety isn't someones first priority with a firearm they shouldn't have one.

13. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No, just anti-poor-people.:D

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

With protracted voter apathy, only social issues bring enough people to the poles anymore. And with viewer apathy, only the difference of social voting gets shown anymore.

15. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why do you think there is voter apathy?

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Two reasons. The figure I saw most recently suggested that the turnout for this vote was less than two-thirds that of the last regular election (I do not have an actual cite yet, will wait for official numbers), but more importantly, nothing really changed, the state senate will remain in the hands of the D's, so I can see why a lot of people just would not care.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So are you saying that the people who didn't vote for that politician should not have a voice after the politician is elected? If so, this recall should never have taken place.

BL.

19. kapolani macrumors regular

They should have let their voice be heard.

It wasn't the case here.

In fact, people who were against the bills weren't given time to speak.

Democrats voted for the recall as well.

What does that tell you?

20. elistan macrumors 6502a

That's this is a political process issue, not a gun control issue?

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That if there wasn't equal representation and appropriate debate from both sides regarding the bills, then there should have been a suit opened to have an injunction thrown on the bill.

Not trying to defend the senators here, but was there anything done by the senators to be cause for impeachment? If not, I can only assume that this recall was voter initiated (read: petition).

BL.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While the gun legislation was a large part of it, I don't think it was the sole reason for the recall. In addition to the gun laws passed, the Colorado Legislature passed laws to give illegal aliens in-state tuition at state colleges and to give drivers licenses to illegals.

I'm glad both were recalled.

----------

Correct, this was a voter initiated recall. They got enough verified signatures in districts 3 & 11 to force a recall vote.

23. kapolani macrumors regular

Kudos to your fellow Coloradans!

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't live in either district so I didn't get a chance to vote. However, I would have voted for the recall.

25. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Politics have become personal, people now vote the way they shop - how will spending this dollar/vote make me feel better or prevent me from feeling worse? Most of the time, there just isn't a payoff. And with only half of us showing up much of the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout_in_the_United_States_presidential_elections

...It's easier for single issues to sway the whole ballot. Just 5% more (10% of non voters) excited about something to go to the polls, is often enough.

BTW, the other way to improve participation is making voting easier, but even then, 60% is considered 'high':

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...the-6-states-that-rank-highest-and-why/Oregon