Anti-gun/violence activist caught with gun in a school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Feb 11, 2014.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I think the SAFE act is a stupid law but this one made me laugh.

This guy pushed to enact the very same law that is being used to charge him with a felony.

I will admit to being two-faced on this one. For anyone else I would try and defend their mistake. Not this guy! I say throw the book at him. The sickly-sweet irony makes me feel all warm inside.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/buffalo-public-schools/associates-defend-man-who-had-gun-in-school-20140207

Quote: "He was a well-known face in the movement for the SAFE Act, the state law that made carrying a gun on school property a felony."

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sounds good to me. Throw the book at him.

Thanks for posting yet another thread highlighting irresponsible gun owners :).

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How come you wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to gun owners caught at airport security? No evidence they were anti-gun.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Who is giving him the benefit of the doubt here?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Some guy made entirely of straw.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Another Responsible Gun Owner™

I'd just say ARGO, but last time I said that on these forums, someone thought I was telling him "Argo **** yourself" which makes sense if you've seen the movie :p

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Straw is as easily consumed.

9. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Wait, what?

I would give the benefit of the doubt to gun owners caught at airport security.

If you are referring to another post in this forum I think you might have misunderstood something.

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

I am willing to give this guy the benefit of believing Dwayne Feguson when he said he didn’t know that he had his gun. If he knew he was armed, the situation would have never gotten as far as it did - after all there was no way that he could have gotten out without it being discovered that he was armed.

That being said, I still think that he should be arrested and charged (which is likely what will happen) with the lack of malicious intent being a minor contributing factor. It should be pointed out that the OP article makes no mention of his being charged nor does it state if he is fighting charges or not. Thats way too premature right now to say anything about him being a hypocrite. Ferguson has not made any comment that I can find about him being arrested and I doubt we will. Until he tries and say that the law doesn’t apply to him there isn’t much we can comment on this besides “he should be charged with the crime he is accused for”. The rest is left to other people we don’t know yet.

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Well if he does get convicted he can kiss his job/line of work goodbye.

I don't know a lot of convected felons that work armed security.

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

if you can't remember you are caring a gun you should not be caring a gun.

13. pdjudd, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

pdjudd macrumors 601

I agree. Most security companies are not very particular to hiring people who have felonies - especially when that felony is firearm related and he probably will loose his permit.

I may be mis-remembering things but it wasn’t necessarily that he “forgot” he had it, but rather that he didn’t know he had his gun on him at all. It’s a bit of a difference. From what I gathered in the article, he knew the lockdown was due to someone having a gun. He didn’t think it was him that they were looking because he didn’t know he was armed at the time.

It’s still foolish to be sure, but I would think it’s possible that when he went to the school he always disarmed himself every other time (he didn’t this once) and that he in no way was thinking he went to the school armed. If he “forgot”, I would think he would have realized he had his gun still at some point. That it took being patted down to find it tells me that at no point during the incident did he think he had his gun - he probably thought it was where he secured it normally.

Saying he forgot to me implies something worse. Again, I could be seeing things a bit differently and I am in no way condoning what this guy did at all. The only thing I will give him, and that is very minor, is that he wasn’t malicious. Foolish, yes. Malicious, no.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's not enough of a difference IMO.

Anyone carrying a gun should know they're carrying a gun.

If they can't remember that, then they shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

15. pdjudd macrumors 601

True. It’s not enough of a difference. He should have known that he was armed. He suffered a terrible lapse in his judgement and as such, needs to face whatever music the courts and lawyers decide upon.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If he's the fine and upstanding community member he is purported to be, then I hope they'll be lenient.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have to call a spade a spade.

this one made you laugh, but no similar laughter with the thread about the legally carrying ex-police officer who shot himself with his own gun on school grounds?

I smell the scent of hypocrisy again.

For the record: I believe this guy should have the riot act read to him just like the ex-cop did in the other thread. The rules there are paramount, and no-one is above them.

BL.