Anti-NRA movie in the works

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/15/harvey-weinstein-and-meryl-streep-making-movie-att/

Quote: "Movie producer Harvey Weinstein announced for the first time on Howard Stern’s radio show that he is making a full feature drama to try to destroy the National Rifle Association."

"Mr. Weinstein then revealed his secret project about the gun rights group. “I shouldn’t say this, but I’ll tell it to you, Howard,” he said. “I’m going to make a movie with Meryl Streep, and we’re going to take this head-on. And they’re going to wish they weren’t alive after I’m done with them.”"

Well this going to be interesting...

EDIT: Opps sorry, Please move to PRSI

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
And the amazing thing is, they likely won't have to make anything up.

The NRA does a lot of things that don't put them in a good light.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It will bomb, and then it will harden and make gun owners more leery of any remote hint of gun control.

And expect such a film to sell more guns as it circulates among gun buyers and shops.

And it will increase NRA membership.

So...bring it on.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Great news. Many, if not most, NRA members would probably retch at what the NRA does in the name of gun rights.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
It will bomb, and then it will harden and make gun owners more leery of any remote hint of gun control.

And expect such a film to sell more guns as it circulates among gun buyers and shops.

And it will increase NRA membership.

So...bring it on.
The funny thing is the Pro-gun people are going to the ones going to this movie just to see what they say.
Just like a lot of traffic to the anti-gun websites when they are backing some stupid law.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
The funny thing is the Pro-gun people are going to the ones going to this movie just to see what they say.
Just like a lot of traffic to the anti-gun websites when they are backing some stupid law.
I'm a "gun guy", based upon my firearms ownership, less of a "gun guy" in terms of favoring realistic regulations... but in any event

I wouldn't spend a single penny to see a movie as described in this thread.

1) I couldn't care less what was said about the NRA, as I think they are a totally corrupt organization in terms of their actions and motivations, and

2) Weinstein's views, as I've heard them, are for the most part, diametrically opposed to mine, so I'm no fan of his either.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
There's nothing anti-gun about being anti-NRA.

It would be like saying you're anti-Christian because you don't like Westboro Baptist Church.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Great news. Many, if not most, NRA members would probably retch at what the NRA does in the name of gun rights.
It isn't even going to be a documentary film. I am sure it is going to be filled with lies, half-truths and pandering to emotion.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
It isn't even going to be a documentary film. I am sure it is going to be filled with lies, half-truths and pandering to emotion.
Any drama made to elucidate an ideological point is going to suck. See the recent Atlas Shrugged or Lions for Lambs.

If, however, the film talked about the human drama of the NRA's shift from a shooter's organization to a devout political action committee, it could be interesting.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
So he's using the same tactics as the NRA. I loves me some irony.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/15/harvey-weinstein-and-meryl-streep-making-movie-att/

Quote: "Movie producer Harvey Weinstein announced for the first time on Howard Stern’s radio show that he is making a full feature drama to try to destroy the National Rifle Association."

"Mr. Weinstein then revealed his secret project about the gun rights group. “I shouldn’t say this, but I’ll tell it to you, Howard,” he said. “I’m going to make a movie with Meryl Streep, and we’re going to take this head-on. And they’re going to wish they weren’t alive after I’m done with them.”"

Well this going to be interesting...

EDIT: Opps sorry, Please move to PRSI
Predetermined moral perspective and goal of persuasion through media... pretty sure that is defined as propaganda.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Today's NRA is evil personified.

You know when you see those crowds of Iranians in the street chanting "Death to America!"? Its the sort of people pull the strings at the NRA they are talking about. A country that is so totally beholden to the interests of corporations that it has quite literally lost its soul.

The NRA has been so totally co-opted by the gun industry it makes a mockery of its founding principles: promoting marksmanship and responsible firearms ownership first.

I wish Mr Weinstein well with his movie. But the reality is that lower middle-class white idiots think they can shoot themselves into economic security.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
any group that uses a nutjob self professed pedophile as their spokesmen pretty much says it all about the group.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The NRA creates enough of their own negative PR. I wouldn't personally pay to watch some silly fluff piece on their organization as a valid source of information though. I would argue that their organization isn't really helpful to gun owners. They are just shills.