Anti-NRA movie in the works

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jan 16, 2014.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/15/harvey-weinstein-and-meryl-streep-making-movie-att/

Quote: "Movie producer Harvey Weinstein announced for the first time on Howard Stern’s radio show that he is making a full feature drama to try to destroy the National Rifle Association."

"Mr. Weinstein then revealed his secret project about the gun rights group. “I shouldn’t say this, but I’ll tell it to you, Howard,” he said. “I’m going to make a movie with Meryl Streep, and we’re going to take this head-on. And they’re going to wish they weren’t alive after I’m done with them.”"

Well this going to be interesting...

EDIT: Opps sorry, Please move to PRSI

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

And the amazing thing is, they likely won't have to make anything up.

The NRA does a lot of things that don't put them in a good light.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It will bomb, and then it will harden and make gun owners more leery of any remote hint of gun control.

And expect such a film to sell more guns as it circulates among gun buyers and shops.

And it will increase NRA membership.

So...bring it on.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Great news. Many, if not most, NRA members would probably retch at what the NRA does in the name of gun rights.

5. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

The funny thing is the Pro-gun people are going to the ones going to this movie just to see what they say.
    Just like a lot of traffic to the anti-gun websites when they are backing some stupid law.

6. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I'm a "gun guy", based upon my firearms ownership, less of a "gun guy" in terms of favoring realistic regulations... but in any event

I wouldn't spend a single penny to see a movie as described in this thread.

1) I couldn't care less what was said about the NRA, as I think they are a totally corrupt organization in terms of their actions and motivations, and

2) Weinstein's views, as I've heard them, are for the most part, diametrically opposed to mine, so I'm no fan of his either.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

There's nothing anti-gun about being anti-NRA.

It would be like saying you're anti-Christian because you don't like Westboro Baptist Church.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It isn't even going to be a documentary film. I am sure it is going to be filled with lies, half-truths and pandering to emotion.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Any drama made to elucidate an ideological point is going to suck. See the recent Atlas Shrugged or Lions for Lambs.

If, however, the film talked about the human drama of the NRA's shift from a shooter's organization to a devout political action committee, it could be interesting.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So he's using the same tactics as the NRA. I loves me some irony.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Predetermined moral perspective and goal of persuasion through media... pretty sure that is defined as propaganda.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

- The NRA

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

This is actually pretty comical. The guys who has made his fortune from movies with plenty of gun violence like Kill Bill, Django Unchained, Sin City and many more http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005544/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 is now going to take down the NRA? Can't wait.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Because there is a close connection between violent movies and actual violence, right? Is that how things work in your world?

15. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's angry self absorbed Hollywood at their best :eek:

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe they will all work for free, and show it at theatres across the country at no cost?

I mean, it's for the Public good, right?

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

And I'm sure the irony escapes you.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Huh?

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

<whoosh>

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Today's NRA is evil personified.

You know when you see those crowds of Iranians in the street chanting "Death to America!"? Its the sort of people pull the strings at the NRA they are talking about. A country that is so totally beholden to the interests of corporations that it has quite literally lost its soul.

The NRA has been so totally co-opted by the gun industry it makes a mockery of its founding principles: promoting marksmanship and responsible firearms ownership first.

I wish Mr Weinstein well with his movie. But the reality is that lower middle-class white idiots think they can shoot themselves into economic security.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So you follow up a nonsense post with another nonsense post?

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

any group that uses a nutjob self professed pedophile as their spokesmen pretty much says it all about the group.

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I think he's trying to poke fun at the notion that Mr. Weinberg probably thinks he's doing a public service by making this film.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The NRA creates enough of their own negative PR. I wouldn't personally pay to watch some silly fluff piece on their organization as a valid source of information though. I would argue that their organization isn't really helpful to gun owners. They are just shills.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not likely.

Gun owners couldn't be any more hardened and leery than they already are.

;)