Anti-Romney Tactics ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalWizrd, Aug 8, 2012.

1. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

The following is excerpted from an opinion piece from the CNN website, written by a Democrat (Obama supporter). It's so true.

Here is the link: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/08/opinion/rothkopf-campaign-tactics/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As a tax guy, I have to suggest that this article is missing one major thing. The 2009 tax amnesty law would have allowed Mitt Romney a one time chance to declare off shore amounts held and illegally unreported.

The reason this is likely is that 2010 is the taxable year before which Mitt is refusing to release anything. If I'm right, that makes Mitt a felon who avoided prosecution legally by taking advantage of amnesty.

3. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

As an attorney, you certainly understand the impact of a supposition not supported by any facts. Which is exactly what you are doing.

You can't, even for a moment, accept the obvious... which is that the release of any wealthy individual's tax return would provide a plethora of "anti little guy" items which the media would have a field day in perpetuating ad nauseum.

No, I guess you probably can't.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If that were true, why would he even attempt to run in 2008?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- other candidates released their returns. Romney should do the same.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I'd like Romney to tell the left that he'll release his tax returns when Obama releases his college records, then hold Mitt's feet to the fire if Obama does.

If Romney did anything illegal I am sure the IRS would be knocking on his door.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The witch hunt to get Romney to release his tax returns will never end. He releases 2 years of taxes, opponents want 10. If he releases 10 years, opponents will want 15. It's always going to be hard to satisfy the torch and pitchfork crowd and the President and his supporters should know this better than anyone. The birther crowd went on and on about the President not releasing a copy of his birth certificate. When he finally told them to stick it and put it out there all we heard was that it was faked.

You just cannot satisfy those who are inherently against you.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ahh, but what I'm doing is what everyone else is doing. Taking the facts and the lack of disclosed documents, and drawing inferences from that. There is nothing wrong with that. That's how all investigations start.

Of course I can accept that, but what you can't accept is that what's so different about the years before 2010? The media and those on the left critiqued his returns for what, a week? Ok, so release a portion of what was already prepared for McCain, and it's blown over in a few days... unless there is something there he knows won't blow over.

Pre-amnesty, unreported, and at that time he could have released his returns without any of those items included. (edit - amnesty would have required him to file amended returns for all the prior years reporting the previously unreported income).

The IRS doesn't work like that, although it should. Every dollar spent on enforcement brings money into the government. It's a great investment, but I bet you can guess who hates funding them.

What's in the college records that has anything to do with anything? The guy got into harvard, and while there was on law review. He's smart. Not to mention, we have evidence from his job performance that he's smart. What do those on the right think is in there? A couple bad grades? Attendence (in college?), what?

The calls for his college transcripts are about <--> this far from saying he's not as smart as any white candidate before him who NEVER was called on to release their transcripts.

9. ericrwalker, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Why was it a big deal to make Bush produce his transcripts? To prove he was smarter than Kerry?

As for him being smart, I don't think so. If you read his book he was never a good student. He didn't get in because he had good grades. If I had to guess he graduated with a "gentleman's C".

EDIT: In short, I don't think he got successful on his own. The government "helped" him.

10. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

I'm the first to stand up and say I disagree with his policies and his rhetoric, but I will not question his intelligence. From everything I've seen and heard since he transitioned from an obscure first term Senator to a Presidential candidate, I personally believe he is a pretty smart guy.

Of course, there are plenty of smart guys that I wouldn't vote for as a Presidential candidate!

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Smart? Manipulative? (street smart?) If he's book smart, then he was lazy or lied in his own book. He admitted to bad grades most of his life.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

In case anyone missed it, you just called President Obama lazy and less intelligent, not to mention he wouldn't be where is now if it weren't for affirmative action.

Nice. We've come so far.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Thanks for clarifying that for everyone.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Obama already released 10+ years of tax returns. Romney released 1. We all know he's richer than 99.95% of the population. If he doesn't have anything to hide, why doesn't he release them?

Why should Obama have to do more before Romney releases his records when Obama already released 10 times as much information??

So the guy didn't get all A+ in school? Who cares. He was President of Harvard Law Review. They don't give unintelligent people that job. Obama clearly is quite intelligent.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Obama is now rich too, does that make him self loathing now?

Like I said, Bush was forced to release his college transcript, and Obama refuses to release his.

Time to man up.

16. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Romney obviously has something to hide, or else he's release his tax returns.

17. mcrain, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

When did Bush release his transcript? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_bush_release_his_college_transcripts

The newspapers dug around and obtained leaked info, but never released...

http://www.insidepolitics.org/heard/heard32300.html

(edit) Compare that to tax returns that they ALL release.
    (edit2) Anyone else find it funny that people are criticizing mediocre grades at some of the top schools in the country. I went to a top 5 school (#2 at the time) and trust me when I tell you they grade hard.
    (edit3) Is it just me, or does it seem like the right is constantly making arguments that are based on lies and viral emails as opposed to facts that are easy to find?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You can't be surprised. Because ya know, he could not possibly be intelligent. :rolleyes:

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I just did a quick search, and guess what. Mitt Romney hasn't disclosed his college transcripts.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from the article;

yes but then can it really be a smear if it's true? :p

The bold text certainly suggests part of why Romney wants to keep his taxes secret. Many voters do indeed tend to think pretty negatively about rich people using tax loopholes to avoid taxes, even if it's all legal...... legal, but is it "unseemly" in the eyes of the relatively few number of undecided voters?

21. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Don't forget that people in his own party want him to release his tax forms. I wonder why they would want that? I just can't figure out why they would go against your front runner. :/

Hugh

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The smear campaigns on both sides are deplorable. They are enough to make me dislike a candidate based on that. And this is why I feel there should be a standard protocol for public release of documents for candidates.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Because college records long long ago are somehow more relevant then more recent tax records, how exactly??? Romney is running largely on a perceived businessman success platform. It is not unreasonable to ask to see the tax returns for that same period of time he claims his success is from. He'd have to show more then he has to get lower level positions. He even showed more to get a potential V.P. spot, but he can't do so now for the top dog job? It's completely unacceptable. He's expecting people to take too much of a leap of faith here. Especially when he already has had fraudulent data regarding his taxes in the past.

Additionally, he said he would get back to ABC on the question of if he paid an even lower tax rate in previous years. And he never answered. Similar to what he has done in previous races. He promises and then does not deliver making him a liar in the process. Time and time again he revises history, destroys records, and hides things. And this is a man you want to trust to run the government? Someone who has hid his taxes, his money in offshore bank accounts, retroactively retired and retroactively amended his tax returns after being caught with his hand in the cookie jar? Really? Why?

http://xpostfactoid.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-land-how-romney-whined-when-caught.html

True, but in this case he provides ammo to those inherently against him and makes people on the fence question what he is hiding. Now, someone can cry like a baby that waaaaah..I will have to show more if I show some, but that is part of what being a President is about. You have to put on the big boy pants sometime and answer the tough questions.

LOL...Obama has already released his taxes. The only manning up that needs to be done in this race is on Romney's part. BTW, has he released HIS college transcripts???

24. vega07 macrumors 65816

1. The tactics employed by both sides are childish.

2. LMAO @ those demanding Obama's transcripts. Last ditch effort to defend Romney.

3. I personally want to see Romney's taxes. The people wanted his tax returns released way before the Reid debacle began (and I don't condone what Reid did). While legal, I would not want to vote for a rich guy who took advantage of every loophole all his life. To me, it's almost like cheating the system. Who wants a cheater to be POTUS?

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

We've been asking for 4 years....How is that last ditch?