Anti-violent game politician arrested for gun trafficking

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Oh, the irony.

Anti-violent game politician Leland Yee arrested in connection to gun trafficking

Link
In a turn of events that sounds an awful lot like something out of Grand Theft Auto, a prominent politician has been arrested on corruption, gun-running and money laundering charges. The irony here is that it's California Democratic Senator Leland Yee, who was a vocal supporter of gun regulation and also authored AB-1179, the (defeated) bill that would outlaw the sale of violent video games to the Golden State's minors. As the San Francisco Chronicle reports, the arrest was part of a lengthy sting that brought in some 26 other perps and even involved Yee taking campaign donations from an FBI agent posing as a mafioso. Yee's out on a $500,000 bond according to SF Weekly, but he's due back in court next week and is facing 16 years in prison.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Is it just me, or does it seem like U.S politicians actively try to make complete asses of themselves? Because I would really like to believe that no one even slightly serious about their job could be this stupid.

phrehdd

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2008
Remember, politicians work by one rule - do as I say and not as I do.

Beyond that, flip a coin, doesn't matter which party you belong to there are plenty of morally and legally challenged political leaders.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Wow yet another politician that claims we need stricter gun laws to keep us safe and at the same time brokering deals to arm people illegally.

I will say it again... Gun control isn't about Guns, it's about control.

Last edited:

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Sounds like it came straight out of GTA5. There's a saying; do as I say, not as I do. Couldn't be any more transparent. :rolleyes:

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Part of Yee's deal involved import of RPGs, according to the indictment. But the MSM isn't screaming about this added danger to commercial aviation. Or, even to Air Force 1.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Wow yet another politician that claims we need stricter gun laws to keep us safe and at the same time brokering deals to arm people illegally.

I will say it again... Gun control isn't about Guns, it's about control.
Think of the children!!!! My God, think of the children!!!!!!!!

Kinda reminds me about all the chatter from Holder, Clinton and Obama and about all these guns going into Mexico so we need new laws here...They knew this because they had the receipt.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Hahahaha, liberal hypocrisy at its finest.

As someone posted on this thread, it's not about gun control, it's just about control.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Yeah, cause anti gay politicians are never discovered reaching out to their same sex constituency in the next stall over. We will have hypocrisy in politics for as long as hypocrisy is needed to get elected.
Lee is a corrupt politician and deserves the shame and consequences that follow.

While it's my opinion that the accusation of "liberal hypocrisy" beyond him in particular is an unreasonable stretch, I don't begrudge our conservatives friends their moment to make that reach.

Both left and right have a tendency to make more of these things than is really there.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
While it's my opinion that the accusation of "liberal hypocrisy" beyond him in particular is an unreasonable stretch, I don't begrudge our conservatives friends their moment to make that reach.
Point taken. When Im done with the tyranny thread, I'll consider making a 'why do politicians suck' thread.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Sen. Yee indicted on arms trafficking, public corruption charges

Federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment against state Sen. Leland Yee in court Wednesday, accusing him of conspiring to commit wire fraud and traffic firearms.
In all, 26 people, including former school board president Keith Jackson, were indicted on charges related to an extensive crime ring headed by well-known Chinatown figure Raymond Chow, who was also arrested and charged Wednesday.
The indictment alleges Yee and Jackson defrauded "citizens of honest services" and were involved in a scheme to traffic firearms in exchange for thousands in campaign donations to the senator.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sen-yee-indictment-unsealed-20140326,0,7238867.story#ixzz2xbPVACAH
guns for Yee but not for thee:D

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Ah yes... the anti-violent video games guy. He could be serving 16 years in prison. Hypocritical knob.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I love the claims of "liberal hypocrisy" here.

Why does the rightward leaning part of the population seem to think that the left is organized to the point where a man like this (whom I doubt ANYONE here knew the name of before the story) is somehow portrayed as a well known leader?

Methinks I see some projection at play here.