Antifa Brings AR-15s To Seattle Counter Pro-Constitution Rally

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...5s-to-seattle-counter-pro-constitution-rally/
    Apologies for the link.
    Anyways. Where LEGAL I have no issues with groups open carrying , antifa/BLM/kkk/ black panthers. Have at it just don’t cry when bullets start flying

2. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

You failed to mention that the marchers in the rally were all armed. The 3% group that promoted the “Liberty or Death” open carry rally is ticked off that Washington voted to pass an initiative that sets stricter limits on age requirements, background checks, and waiting periods to purchase firearms. It may also mean that gun owners could face criminal penalties if they do not keep their guns securely stored. If that’s all they were marching for it might not have inspired much of a counter protest, but their rallies also tend to draw white nationalist groups like the Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer. When you end up marching alongside gun-toting racists, it’s going to attract a more fervent counter protest... and draw the militant self-proclaimed antifa (as opposed to your regular liberal protesters that ring wing media also likes to label antifa).

So it’s okay for one side to bring guns to a rally, but it’s wrong when the counter-protesters do it? Personally I think anyone bringing weapons to a political rally is inviting disaster, and I have no desire to get caught in the crossfire when the extremists from both ends of the political spectrum start shooting. Rallies should be gun-free. You can march with signs that declare your right to bear arms. We get it. We believe you. It’s really not necessary to bring your actual guns to the rally.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, this really is an example of the "slippery slope" argument coming to pass.

We (meaning American politics and courts) accepted the Second Amendment arguments about a literal right to "bear arms." And so we have open- and/or concealed-carry more States than I care to think about. So if it's legal for one guy to carry his Glock semi-auto into a coffee shop or another to walk down the street with an AR strapped to his back - then its pretty hard to come up with a law that prevents ten, or a hundred, or a thousand people marching in the streets with guns.

And I don't think that's a good idea. It's a recipe that, sooner or later, is going to erupt into armed skirmishes on the streets of American cities over issues like abortion or climate change. Immigration or tax policy.

Like most Americans, I have no problem with individual ownership of handguns and semi-automatic rifles. But their carry and use ought to be restricted to appropriate venues. In the home, if self-protection is your concern. Or in the hunting field or at the shooting range if that's your sporting desire.

Carrying a gun in the streets or (someone's) workplace is an act of political and social intimidation. And I condemn Antifa protestors for doing so as much as I would anyone else.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

While the article itself is laughable the comments as usual contain real gems, this one for instance:

December 4, 2018 at 02:33

We are on the verge of a civil war. I see leftists at the shooting range, but also what I suspect are Chinese PLA (posing as students of course) practicing with AK’s and SKS’s at the range. It’s been interesting.
    They are preparing. However good/bad they are – irregulars can be trained and peasants with rifles are dangerous. We all agree guns are the great equalizer.
    If there is a communist revolution in the US, it will likely be assisted by Mexico (AMLO), Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua, etc. Maybe even Russia/China/NK. Not to mention all the Communista’s we’ve imported over the years and those in the immigration waves now… mostly military age males.
    It wouldn’t be pretty.
    I suggest all patriots have a base preparedness, and not underestimate the enemy.
    Even a small unmenacing rattle snake has deadly venom.

5. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I think the conservatives are getting their tin-foil hats resized.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

No tin foil hat needed...

If there was a civil war it would not last long. The snowflakes and cupcakes would need timeouts (are they even allowed?) to hit their safe spaces and make use of their coloring books, play-doh ect. They'd also need timeouts to tend to and take care of their emotional support squirrels and to shout at the sky once or twice a day...

Yeah, doubt it would last long.. Unless timeouts are okay'd....

[/s] [/humor]

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Protesters and counter protesters can kill themselves off if they want to, the rest of us are free people living under God, and we really don't care if they kill each other off.

More for us.:p

8. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Open carry and concealed carry being legal in many states hasn't resulted from the Second Amendment or even our acceptance of the right to bear arms which it enunciates. Frankly, our courts have stopped well short of giving full effect to the protections which the Second Amendment, and later the Fourteenth Amendment, were meant to provide - especially when it comes to bearing arms. Rather, we have open carry and concealed carry (for most as opposed to for just a few) in many states because that has been the policy choice of those states - i.e. of the elected leaders of those states.

And carrying a gun in the streets or in workplaces is seen by some - to include you apparently - as an act of political and social intimidation only because of changing cultural expectations or because some have worked to demonize the mere carrying of firearms. It shouldn't be regarded as an act of intimidation or, for that matter, as all that noteworthy. It should be regarded as fairly normal.

I realize that the typical mentalities of those who live in urban areas differ greatly in a number of areas from the typical mentalities of those who live in rural areas, and that this is one of those areas. But from my perspective it seems odd that anyone would think it an act of intimidation for someone to carry a firearm on their person in public - to include, while walking down a street or in most workplaces. Waving a firearm around or pointing it at people for no reason? Yeah, of course. But merely carrying a firearm, e.g. in a holster? I can't relate to the mentality which would see that alone as intimidating, let alone as necessarily being meant to intimidate. It's disheartening that we've, apparently, gotten to that point in many areas of the country.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not a fan of open carry. And to do so at a protest seems stupid and unessacarily provocative to me.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Exactly - Id love to see a "war" between the left and the right. It'd be the shortest war ever in the history of mankind. :D

11. raqball macrumors 68000

They'd at least get participation trophies at the cease fire signing.. :p

[/s] [/humor]

12. Carnegie, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

Carnegie macrumors 6502a

I'd prefer that there was more open carry and less concealed carry myself. I'm not sure concealed carry was meant to be protected by the Second Amendment, but open carry surely was.

I suspect society would be generally better off if there was a higher prevalence of openly-carried firearms in public. I think people would be less likely to engage in various manners of incivility.

As it is, a lot of people indulge their ***hol-ish impulses. They've let themselves become ********, as a general modus operandi, because they've lived in environments where they don't think they need to consider the possible negative consequences of bad behavior. I'm not, of course, suggesting that people should be shot (or that they would often be shot if we had more open carry) for being ********. But the vague awareness that their ***hol-ish-ness might (very unlikely, but plausibly) escalate situations to a point where they end up paying a heavy price for their bad behavior, would likely cause most to learn to behave themselves better - to, e.g., treat others more respectfully.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Even in humor - this is pretty inappropriate.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

plenty of states have open carry w/o any issues

15. raqball macrumors 68000

Lighten up and relax a little.. It's okay to laugh at things.. I doubt s2mikey was really hoping for a civil war..... If he was, then I retract my humor...

16. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

... and have plenty of sympathy and prayers ready. :rolleyes::oops: Open and conceal carry is bad, period. It is not what a great society aspires to. It what anarchists aspire to.

But am I imagining it or is your post really about violent Leftys, whom I don’t support, who you need to have a gun to protect yourself from?

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Bollocks!

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. why would I ? play stupid games/win stupid prizes
    2 bad for criminals? agreed
    3. this is America..............
    4 some yes.
    5 I said it many times, but let me repeat myself .
    does NOT matter if it's antifa OR pro 2A groups, the minute you have a gun at a demonstration everyone talks about the gun and not WHY you are protesting, protest and riots are like sex, the minute things break or start to burn is time to GTFO.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    seriously depends on what they do there. there are about 14.5 million concealed carry licences, and even many more that open carry in states where it's legal. it's not the blood shed you imply.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/demand-soars-for-concealed-carry-permits-data-shows
    a gun levels the playing field for women.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

Don't most demonstrations in America these days include turning up armed? I don't understand why anyone should think an antifascist group would be any different.

Its a dangerous country, with dangerous people pointing weapons at each other and executing kids in schools.... at this point guns need to go, or you need to accept that everyone will end up armed.

20. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Look at humans. Anarchy requires guns, might makes right.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you need to stop reading democracy now....... few demonstrations have guns, arms wise antifa happens to be the exception, yet to see a BLM demonstration where they were armed.

22. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

1. So you don’t offer thoughts and prayers to gun victims, just suggest they buy a gun?
    2. Bad for EVERYONE, stop caressing precious and just take one moment to look at the annual Gun casualty and death rate.
    3. This is ‘Merica where guns rule and blood flows in the streets. Amen and Hallelujah!
    4. Watch the Postman.
    5. Yet you support open carry, yes?

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You've lost me I have no idea what those words mean.

24. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Might makes right- You really don’t know?

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. no, and no, if they want to buy a gun it's up to them, a gun is worthless and a bigger liability IF you DON'T know how to properly handle it, so I am NOT going to recommend a gun to someone who is NOT going to bother properly training for it, hell told that my my wife's cousin and they got mad when I told them the FIRST thing they should buy is a damn safe as they have kids.
    2. again, disagree.
    3. please 8-12 k deaths per year in a population of over 300 million
    4. link?
    5. where legal, yes, I myself hate it, guns are like money, you should not go flashing it because there might be a moron willing to take it from you, but if legal in your state then it's your right and I am NOT going to work to take your rights away.