Antigay Activist Opens Mass. Coffee Shop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 11, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/01/11/Antigay_Activist_Opens_Mass_Coffee_Shop/

OK- people are free to open whatever business they want, but does anyone else find this a little more than creepy?

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I find what Lively did in Uganda to be a repulsive act of hate. The dude advocated and seemingly supported ethnic cleansing. Is he free to open the coffee shop? Yes. But if he is supporting students who are cutting their classes, then it is a completely different story.

Usually, people who are that homophobic are homophobic due to something more than meets the eye.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's just completely weird. This guy obviously has issues, especially after what he did in Uganda. This makes me very nervous.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I sure as hell wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) go around him and I am a religious person, but I do not support when organized religion is used as a tool for propaganda, which breeds hate.

This guy bears resemblance to the American Neo Nazi Movement, which uses acceptable social means to connect to people (ex: the coffee shop), but also shapes the thoughts and actions of members to harm other human being. The coffee shop it not to celebrate religion, it is a propaganda landmark.

5. Queso macrumors G4

What a complete and utter loon. My prediction is that it'll lose a large amount of money and close within 12 months.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You overestimate the intelligence of the American people. He's got press now, so I'm guessing it'll take off and do quite well.

7. emw, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

emw macrumors G4

emw

I didn't realize there was a "gay movement". Are you guys recruiting or something and I missed it?

You should open a bookstore next to the coffee shop. Call it Homotextuals.

As for the potential longevity of "Holy Grounds" - it's hard to say. I'm guessing he didn't open it to make money, and in fact promotes it as a religious center and not as a business, so whether he makes money or not isn't the issue. The question is will there be enough of a "congregation" to make it worth his while?

I'd also wonder why he chose Springfield, MA.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- obviously he has an agenda. I don't think the guy cares if he makes money or not. I have no idea why he would choose that town either.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sounds like a sure way to keep sales down ... successful businesses do not discriminate ... everyone's money is as good as the next.

sounds like he has some serious social issues ... also not good for running a coffee shop.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Whatever you do for a living you are wasted :)

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He's not trying to run a business, according to him.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Indeed. Perhaps Salem would have been more appropriate.

He's clearly not in it for the money.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- he's made it quite clear that is not his intention. It should be quite clear what he is there to do.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I <3 you.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I say burn it to the ground, along with the westboro baptist church. If not, I hope it turns into a hangout spot for the lgbt youth of Springfield. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near it though.

16. Queso macrumors G4

A bit extreme that IMO.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- people can open whatever they want. I don't think anyone should threaten to burn it down or anything. All we can do is hope that people are intelligent enough to stay away, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening at the moment. Kids are cutting class to go there, unfortunately. :(

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you do that you then stoop to their level and you are only reinforcing and breeding hate.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Well that certainly kills two birds with one stone for Mr Lively's way of thinking. Devout AND uneducated. Just how he likes them.

20. 184550 Guest

So he's not actually recruiting these high school kids to come to his 'shop'? They just kind of show up on their own?

I've seen/ heard of high school kids go to weirded places to get free stuff. Next month they'll be hanging out somewhere else that offers free coffee and doughnuts.

Of course, not that that makes any of this ok or acceptable.

21. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Take the opposite tact. I think every single homosexual and gay-rights supporter within a 50 mile radius should crowd this place daily. And take so much free coffee that he loses more money than he'd anticipated.

22. Queso macrumors G4

And make out in front of him and his staff :)

Actually no, scratch that. I suspect that's really what he's after.

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Let him run his shop or whatever he wants to call it. If you agree with him, visit it. If you don't then leave him be. The issue with the teens should be left up to their parents or ticket them for skipping class like you would if they were sitting at home.

Show him that no one agrees with him by just not going inside. Let him sit alone with his coffee. If people do agree then let the group sit in there and drink "straight" (pun intended) coffee all they want.

As long as it stays in that building and doesn't turn violent or illegal then let them do their thing and go on with your lives.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I have no idea what he's doing with these kids. But the fact that this is a person who advocated the death penalty for an entire group of people in another country should be somewhat alarming to you, I would think.

And I never said this guy did not have a right to open whatever he wants or that kids can't go where they want. Quite the contrary. I don't know what the point of your first paragraph was.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454