Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
This makes me sick to my stomach.

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,207~12026~1234836,00.html

Antiwar protesters trash 9/11 memorial
American flags burned and slashed
By Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell, Staff Writer

LA HABRA -- Antiwar protesters burned and ripped up flags, flowers and patriotic signs at a Sept. 11 memorial that residents erected on a fence along Whittier Boulevard days after the terrorist attacks in 2001 and have maintained ever since.

However, although officers witnessed the vandalism Saturday afternoon, police did not arrest three people seen damaging the display because they were "exercising the same freedom of speech that the people who put up the flags were,' La Habra Police Capt. John Rees said Monday.

"For this to be vandalism, there had to be an ill-will intent,' he said.

Rees said in order for police to take any action, the owner of the fence would have to file a complaint.

Jeff Collison, owner of The RV Center in La Habra, who has allowed residents to add patriotic symbols to the fence on his property, said he just might do that.

"Their free speech stops at destruction of private property. If they are allowed to come on my property and burn flags, does that mean I can go to City Hall or the police station and light their flags on fire because that is freedom of speech? To me, this is vandalism,' Collison said.

Some residents Monday hung signs criticizing those who destroyed the display.

Tracey Chandler, a Whittier mother of four who has maintained the spontaneous memorial since it was created by other area residents soon after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, said she was shocked by the destruction.

"They trashed 87 flags, ripped 11 memorial tiles made by myself and my children out of the ground and glued the Bob Dylan song to a sign that said, 'America, land of the brave, home of the free,' ' she said.

The Bob Dylan song she referred to is "With God on Our Side,' an antiwar anthem of the 1960s.

"It's unbelievable, because there were absolutely no political messages on this fence. It was all about supporting our troops, which could mean bringing them home, and about remembering 9-11.'

Les Howard, a sociology professor at Whittier College, said the incident might be an indication of some confusion among people trying to stop a possible war against Iraq but uncertain how to express their sentiments. However, he said he does not condone the destruction of symbols important to those who erect them.

"Some think (the best way to support the troops) is to not question their role. Some think the best way is to pursue all means possible to avoid putting them in danger,' he said. "That still does not excuse any desecration of people's symbolic participation.'

Chandler said she plans to rebuild the Sept. 11 memorial.

"We are going to rebuild this memorial, and it will be brighter, bigger and better than ever,' Chandler said.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
:mad: This makes me SICK! No one should have the right to burn the flag other than we Boy Scouts, and the Army...I wanna pummel thouse idiots....If it was my property I would be after them with a vengence...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Sad, sad thing. I'm surprised someone didn't try and stop them - let alone the police just going over and standing next to them and ask them what they were doing....I don't know if anyone would be able to vandalize something right in front of the cops. They should have made themselves more obvious. :(

D

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
It amazing how many people who are Americans spit on America. People who hate this country should move to Iraq and enlist themselves as human idiots.

'nuf said

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Also the police in that town are despicable. What a waste of tax payer money to employ a bunch of jerkoffs like that. I guess they were afraid of their department being assailed by America haters of the ACLU.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by drastik
That's absolutely ****ed up! People are stupid. Thiss war doesn't have anything to do qith 9/11 anyway.

Well according to bush...

9-11 ---> Al-Queda (something like they are both islamic people. Stupid for generalizing) ----> iraq ----> Bush says we go after the iraqi terriosts.

0/all hijackers were iraqi. Good link there bush.

I am disguested.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by MrMacman
Well according to bush...

9-11 ---> Al-Queda (something like they are both islamic people. Stupid for generalizing) ----> iraq ----> Bush says we go after the iraqi terriosts.

0/all hijackers were iraqi. Good link there bush.

I am disguested.

since the political forum is closed can we please refrain from making this the political forum and getting it closed as well. Lets stay on topic, and refrain from lighting the fires and passions that we are all feeling right now.

this is an emotional time, and it has already effected MacRumors. Lets all ban together to keep it from changing it anymore.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Lets all ban together to keep it from changing it anymore.

b2tm: Nice job keeping a level and calm head. :)

Personally I find flag burning one of the most irreverent and digusting forms of expression, especially when American citizens do it to the American flag.

I believe that it is disrespectful to the men and women in uniform who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in order to defend the very freedom the "protesters" (read: vandals) are/were excersizing.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by hitman
b2tm: Nice job keeping a level and calm head. :)

Personally I find flag burning one of the most irreverent and digusting forms of expression, especially when American citizens do it to the American flag.

I believe that it is disrespectful to the men and women in uniform who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in order to defend the very freedom the "protesters" (read: vandals) are/were excersizing.

I agree 100% with you. I also respect the opinion of those that choose to do so, and would die fighting for their right to do it.

onetime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2003
urth
:(

As distraught as I am about the current situations we face around the world, this is too disturbing. It's worse than the disrespect shown by kids who kick over grave stones.. Vandalism.

And what does it do for the anti-war movement? Damage it. That's what. How about playing the Dylan tune while protesting at or near the memorial... I certainly don't see the logic behind this action.

While I feel the Iraq crisis is a (very) indirect result of 9/11, this action seems to communicate nothing more than stupidity and insensitivity.

Just think of all the problems a well-packed peace pipe could solve...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
What the vandals did was illegal. Plain and simple. They were destroying someone else's property. If they brought their own flags and burned them, it wouldn't be illegal, but the police were idiots by not doing anything about it. I hope the vandals get arrested, and kicked out of the country. If they don't like it, they don't have to live here. F*ckers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.